The Director of THOR 3

"We were looking for heroes who were like us, you know?" says Waititi, whose childhood idols were Michael Jackson (one of the director's next projects will be a stop-motion animated film called Bubbles about the late singer's pet chimpanzee) and Bob Marley. The reggae singer, to this day, inspires his style. "Bob Marley was big into denim, and I love denim,"
Well that just makes me appreciate Taika even more. When i heard "Turn your lights down low" in the HFTWP i thought he's got to be a Bob Marley fan... :yay:

[YT]xLJjxpSn3lU[/YT]

Truly the star of this hole thing. The Man. The one and only Taika Waititi.
THANK YOU!:yay:

https://twitter.com/TaikaWaititi

DNr4MW-VAAErBSi.jpg

Waititi... thank you for directing Thor: Ragnarok. We need more of you and your eclectic style in Hollywood.

Pretty cool interview with Taika

http://www.vulture.com/2017/11/thor-ragnarok-funniest-scene-taika-waititi.html

I liked the last question. Sounds like Marvel is giving more freedom to its directors.

We’re talking a lot about this tone and the comedy, how does it then reconnect to what the plot of the movie is about?

I have no idea. Honestly, I gave it a little bit of thought, but sometimes, often I was like, You know what? I’m gonna let Marvel deal with that. That’s their department. I know how to tell a story, but I’m having so much fun subverting all of this, and like telling weird jokes and making this the weirdest Marvel movie ever. If you’ve seen my movies, you don’t hire me for any reason other than what I’ve done.

So Marvel’s job really is to look after their characters, look after their source material, and make sure I don’t completely break it, or it doesn’t negatively affect the rest of the movies or how they all interweave. I don’t understand that, and I’ve never watched all those movies with the eye of like, Oh, how does this link up? Oh, what year was this when, like, Fury encountered this thing? That’s why it was a good partnership. If I’d written it and been really hung up on my words and the intricacies of the story and the Marvel lore, I probably would have had a worse time and probably would have been controlled a lot more. But as it stood, I focused on things that I think I’m good at, and Marvel gave me so much freedom to run with that and play in that sandbox, knowing that they could just keep me in my lane. The notes that we would get on set would be like, “Kevin doesn’t like that table.”

I wonder what marvellous thing Taika will do next? I keep thinking Star Wars or Flash Gordon but we've kind of already seen what he can do with that and I'm sure he can do something else that just as amazing.

Makes me wonder if Edgar Wright would have worked out ok after all if he had just given it a go

If Marvel Studios hired Edgar Wright now,we'd get an Edgar Wright movie. It's a different studio compared to 2014.

I wonder what marvellous thing Taika will do next? I keep thinking Star Wars or Flash Gordon but we've kind of already seen what he can do with that and I'm sure he can do something else that just as amazing.

Makes me wonder if Edgar Wright would have worked out ok after all if he had just given it a go
He's going to do a smaller project. "Bubbles" The stop motion animated movie about Michael Jackson's chimp. Or a movie about second world war or something like that... I remember reading about it. As he said previously he thinks about doing the "1 for them, 1 for me" thing some directors do. Which is do a small indie project and follow up with a big studio film, the go back to a smaller scale project and then do another big studio film... That's his idea and plans from what i could gather from his interviews.

If Marvel Studios hired Edgar Wright now,we'd get an Edgar Wright movie. It's a different studio compared to 2014.

I wouldn't be so sure. Ant-Man wasn't "an Edgar Wright movie" because 'old' Marvel didn't give directors their freedom. Ant-Man wasn't an Edgar Wright movie because, ultimately, Wright wanted to do stuff with the movie that just plain wasn't a good idea for the MCU. Unless the Wright of today is more willing to actually compromise and work within the larger framework, nothing is actually changed.

afaik he's doing a (much anticipated by me) spinoff about werewolves from 'What we do in the shadows'
Not gonna come out that soon but Im super excited

speaking of WWDITS

tumblr_ozmqz2zz6h1snteogo3_540.gif

that scene was epic :woot::woot:

I'm really happy that Taika is having success. I really liked him as Tom Kalmaku, so I'm glad to see him involved in CBMs again.

lol I watched GL 1 time & I didnt even remember his character:woot:
Now I need to rewatch & pay attention to him now

Taika Waititi "Informally" Offered A Star Wars Movie by Lucasfilm President

The latest film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Thor: Ragnarok, has been one of the best-reviewed films in the franchise and reignited an interest in the character, whose previous two solo movies have been some of the more poorly-received in the saga. The film's success has clearly caught the eye of Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy, who recently joked during an interview with a New Zealand news show to get the word out to director Taika Waititi about her interest in his filmmaking skills.

"I would love for him to direct a Star Wars movie," Kennedy told Newshub. "I think he has exactly the right sensibility. It was very exciting to see him step into the Marvel universe and do such an amazing job with Thor."

A recent trend with Disney films is to tap young directors who have demonstrated their skills in small-budget comedies and apply those sensibilities to their massive playground of films. Waititi is just the latest example of this formula, and has now demonstrated this formula's effectiveness, with Thor: Ragnarok having grossed over $800 million worldwide.

Kennedy made sure to joke to the host that she "let him know" about Kennedy's interest in his abilities.

Unfortunately, Kennedy might not be aware that Waititi preemptively joked about turning down the job following the announcement that Colin Trevorrow would no longer be directing Episode IX.

"That particular franchise seems really hard,” Waititi shared of the prospect to The New York Times. “There’s not much room for someone like me.”

The director's comments are a follow-up from comments he made about taking on a Star Wars movie on Twitter.

“Lolz, I like to complete my films,” Waititi replied to a fan who suggested he take on directing duties. “I’d be fired within a week.”

The director is known for his sense of humor, clarifying that his tweet was an opportunity to crack wise more than an official rejection.

"Look, I’m not an idiot. Who would actually say no to Star Wars?" Waititi told Uproxx. "Of course, I didn’t send that idea very seriously, it’s more that in light of all the things that were happening over the last couple of months, it would make me a little nervous."

Based on films that have already been announced, Waititi would next have a chance to direct a Star Wars film with the second installment in the new trilogy of films created by The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson.
http://comicbook.com/starwars/2017/12/07/star-wars-taika-waititi-thor-ragnarok-lucasfilm-kathleen-kennedy/

Great news for Waititi but I hate this revisionist nonsense. I know reactions to the second were mixed at worst but the first Thor was not poorly received at all. I suppose the qualifier here is "more" poorly received but even that is disingenuous to me because none of the MCU films have really been received in this way. It just paints the Thor franchise is such a negative light because the standards of the MCU are apparently so high.

Taika made a great film but that doesn't invalidate what came before. There are certain aspects in the first two films that I actually liked better.

That would be very nice for Taika but I hope his next big space film is another Thor.

Great news for Waititi but I hate this revisionist nonsense. I know reactions to the second were mixed at worst but the first Thor was not poorly received at all. I suppose the qualifier here is "more" poorly received but even that is disingenuous to me because none of the MCU films have really been received in this way. It just paints the Thor franchise is such a negative light because the standards of the MCU are apparently so high.

Taika made a great film but that doesn't invalidate what came before. There are certain aspects in the first two films that I actually liked better.

In all fairness, the article doesn't say that the first two films were bad films or critical failures, it just says that they were two of the lesser received films in the MCU which is objectively true. It's just that the MCU's output tends to be of a much more consistent high quality than other comparable big franchises so even the lesser received films tend to be higher rated and better received than said other franchises. :cwink:

Mjölnir;36098323 said:
That would be very nice for Taika but I hope his next big space film is another Thor.

Agreed, I'd much rather him do another Thor movie (or maybe tackle another property in the MCU even) than a SW movie.

Agreed, I'd much rather him do another Thor movie (or maybe tackle another property in the MCU even) than a SW movie.

Count me in this camp as well. Taika's definitely thrown it out there with his willingness to do what he calls "Ragnarok 2".

I really hope we can meet Beta Ray Bill in the next installment. Sif's absence needs to be explained - she needs to come back in an expanded role - we've waited long enough for this as Thor fans and it's only gotten worse each film. I also need better closure on the Warriors 3 (they are Thor's dearest friends and they were treated like trash) and Jane (don't care if anyone hates me for that). I feel Ragnarok 3 did not do a good job of resolving that story line.

Just no young fat Thor and Goth Loki please. I thought that was an utterly terrible idea.

I'd like Taika to direct the next Spiderman. Homecoming was boooring.

Kathleen Kennedy saying she would consider Taika to direct Star Wars. I say run away Taika! They just want you because your'e the new cool kid. But you'll have to fall in line and probably have less freedom than on Ragnarok. Look what happened Chris & Phil on the Han Solo movie when they brought their own style.

I rather he stick with Marvel and do another Thor film.

Taika is already very sought after. He is so charismatic, has a ton of talent and above all he is willing to play in the studio's confines and that is something Marvel and Disney most likely value very much. Disney and Marvel should keep Taika under their wing if they are smart and not willing to loose him to another studio. WB already tried luring him in with Akira.

While i still want to see his smaller projects and what he comes up with in the future. I also would like to see him return to big blockbuster movies where he has more toys and bigger targets.

[YT]54fLDnZ6GHw[/YT]

Guys, Taika is getting his own funko pop! :woot:

DgPUAfcU0AATanE.jpg

DgPUBf4U0AAm4uU.jpg

I can't even describe how much I love the fact that it's wearing Taika's famous pineapple ensemble. :funny: It's apparently an SDCC exclusive though, I hope some appear on ebay because I want it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"