Alan Taylor: The Director of Thor 2!

RealIrOnMaN

Shellhead
Reaction score
alan-taylor.jpg

Marvel Studios has found its Thor 2 director. I’m told that Marvel has set Alan Taylor, who was widely rumored to be on the short list to replace Patty Jenkins. Taylor is an accomplished TV director whose recent credits include Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire and Nurse Jackie, and he directed the feature Palookaville. Jenkins got the job but then fell out over differences with Marvel on the sequel.

This will put the film back on track to meet its November 15, 2013 release date.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/12/thor-2-director-will-be-game-of-thrones-helmer-alan-taylor/

Last edited:
Nice!Glad to see they already found the new director.;)
Thanks for the news, RIM!

Can't fault his TV credits. He's worked on some fairly wonderful stuff.

Welcome aboard Alan. Please do us proud.

Never seen anything he's done. So whatever. At least the movie's still happening.

He's worked on mad men, lost, game of thrones,boardwalk empire and the sopranos..dude has a hell of a tv resume..let's see what he can do on the big screen

Yeah, definitely can't find fault with his TV work. He's directed some great episodes on some absolutely amazing HBO/cable series, and even garnered an Emmy for it. He's had very little real feature work, other than 3 virtually unknown indies, but the work he's done on TV, especially most recently with Game of Thrones, proves that he's certainly capable of delivering a powerful story about warring kings and broken families.

My major concern with going after the Game of Thrones crowd, though, is (as I've posted elsewhere) that I don't want Thor straying too far from the superhero genre into the high fantasy zone. I sincerely hope that Thor 2 stays close to his superhero roots, and keeps the thunder god firmly rooted in Midgard and allows him to maintain friendships and relationships with the mortals there, instead of turning this franchise into another LOTR.

Pfftt...as if a man could do this kind of movie.

I won't lie, I wanted to see what Jenkins had in store for the character this time around. But Taylor's resume speaks volumes. Game of Thrones I know is the big thing now, but watch this man's Sopranos episodes. Genius.

Hell yeah! He should do a fantastic job.

I was always pretty wary of Jenkins directing THOR 2, I'm alot more comfortable with this choice.

So who's episodes of Game of Thrones episodes do you all think were the best, Alan Taylor's or Daniel Minahan's?

Well I've seen all the Game of Thrones episodes and Lost but I don't know which he directed but I can't think of any GOT episodes which i didnt like so I'm quite happy with this news.

He actually sounds like a better choice than Patty Jenkins if I'm honest.

Yeah, definitely can't find fault with his TV work. He's directed some great episodes on some absolutely amazing HBO/cable series, and even garnered an Emmy for it. He's had very little real feature work, other than 3 virtually unknown indies, but the work he's done on TV, especially most recently with Game of Thrones, proves that he's certainly capable of delivering a powerful story about warring kings and broken families.

My major concern with going after the Game of Thrones crowd, though, is (as I've posted elsewhere) that I don't want Thor straying too far from the superhero genre into the high fantasy zone. I sincerely hope that Thor 2 stays close to his superhero roots, and keeps the thunder god firmly rooted in Midgard and allows him to maintain friendships and relationships with the mortals there, instead of turning this franchise into another LOTR.

I feel the exact opposite. I actually wouldn't mind if this series became more fantasy oriented. Another LOTR sounds great to me. My favorite parts of Thor were the mythological parts. The stuff of kings and all that. I found the fish out of water/human part of Thor to be very dull actually.

I greatly preferred the fantasy, and I hope he does bring his Game of Thrones influence with him on this project. This becoming a high fantasy epic sounds great to me. :up:

Last edited:
I don't expect anything from this film.

I feel the exact opposite. I actually wouldn't mind if this series became more fantasy oriented. Another LOTR sounds great to me. My favorite parts of Thor were the mythological parts. The stuff of kings and all that. I found the fish out of water/human part of Thor to be very dull actually.

I greatly preferred the fantasy, and I hope he does bring his Game of Thrones influence with him on this project. This becoming a high fantasy epic sounds great to me. :up:

I feel the same way.
While I am disappointed about Jenkins' departure, I feel Taylor will do a fine job. I just hope he is given some breathing room.

I think that they chose Taylor as an easy decision after Jenkins. He's "qualified" because he was involved in a similar genre on TV, and he's "accustomed to making films in a short time" (paraphrasing SHH here).

Those aren't what I'd call Asgardian levels of worthiness :p The House of Ideas seems to be clinched to their version of the story. After Branagh, Taylor seems like a step down to me, unfortunately :| Hopefully he'll bring some sense of familial dysfunction that he did in Palooka , but I highly doubt that's why the studio hired him. HIGHLY.

My reaction is a lot like when Nicolas Winding Refn was voicing how he's the most capable director for Wonder Woman, and simultaneously saying that the character has no rogues gallery, that her villains need to be created anew, and that the central theme would be relevant today since it's women being more powerful than men. ... ... ... a Picardian face-palm isn't even enough to express the amount of fail in it.

Maybe I'm reacting too much, but Taylor... just seems to be the guy you'd go to since others are booked. Brian Kirk was shortlisted too, don't see him anymore. Am I the only one who's reminded of how similarly Brett Ratner was handed the job back in 2005?

I actually agree with this. And this is coming from a big LOTR / fantasy fan. Thor isn't simply a story about high-fantasy and the last film struggled to balance that. If you don't have the amount of Kirby-esque science fiction involved it just wouldn't be a Thor movie. It's less to do with the superhero genre than it has to do with mixing science and fantasy. While a more fantasy-laden take on the characters is always welcome, it shouldn't do away with the strong science fictional beats that it carries with it.

Branagh was a brilliant director who understood that mix. He saw it in the close focus on characters. I was certain that someone who is concerned with the human drama of things, such as Jenkins, understood that. The choice of Taylor, as brilliant as he has been in GoT, just sounds like a solution to a problem rather than a director with a vision.

I expect MORE from this.

^^^ This post has no relation to the post above me, I'm just speaking in general.

Jenkins may have won an Oscar for "Monster" but that doesn't necessarily mean she was qualified for a film like THOR 2.

An "out of the box" choice isn't always the best choice, I'm already getting sick of people putting down Alan Taylor because Jenkins was a "radical" choice.

Well, I'm just going to be patient before passing judgement on the new directorial choice. There's no sense getting all in a foam over something as trivial as a new director anyway.

Sure, especially since it seems that the director has become the most trivial part of the movie :(

I'm not saying that Taylor isn't capable or anything like that, I haven't seen him do his thing yet so I don't know. What upsets me is how Marvel Studios made the decision to choose Taylor. The how of it says a lot about what the studio has in mind: complaisance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"