Alan Taylor: The Director of Thor 2!

Well some writers are better at certain things than they are at others. Some are good at getting the entire big picture ideas out there but rather suck at the small things like dialogue. And some are the converse. Sometimes you basically have to piece the whole thing together so hopefully you keep the great big idea stuff while making it all very natural via the clever and inventive dialogue, etc.

This is often why many writers work in pairs. Each having their own unique strengths they bring to the script.

....And then some writers are hired exclusively to write pop-culturally relevant throwaway sitcom dialogue. :cwink:

....And then some writers are hired exclusively to write pop-culturally relevant throwaway sitcom dialog. :cwink:

Yep, that happens too. I'm a would-be writer and I already know that my particular strengths do not lie in dialog. I'm better at the over-all story/big picture stuff. I can tell bad dialog/delivery when I hear/see it but I can't create it to save my life.

I'm just saying that maybe Don Payne has/had something worthwhile to contribute that they may be further building upon.

IMO a terrible writer is one who doesn't know his/her own limitations. Goyer is another guy for example who's good at over-all ideas for a story but can't do much with the nitty-gritty. That's where Jonathan Nolan(and Chris) fill in the gaps.

heh technically the first movie had I think over 10 writers on it.

I just saw some clips from Snowwhite and the Huntsman. That movie looks more bad ass than Thor did, that pisses me off. Hell, even Hemsworth looked cooler in that movie than he did in Thor.

I hope Marvel gets their stuff together and stop with this kiddie b.s and make something epic. I know they know that's what we want.

The contrast of this:
I hope Marvel gets their stuff together and stop with this kiddie b.s and make something epic. I know they know that's what we want.

followed immediately by this:
Thor says to Hulk during battle

Thor: As strong as thee monster? NAY! I BE STRONGER!
made me :funny:

I just saw some clips from Snowwhite and the Huntsman. That movie looks more bad ass than Thor did, that pisses me off. Hell, even Hemsworth looked cooler in that movie than he did in Thor.

Yeah it's too bad no one in Snowhite and the Huntsman can call down lightning, tornadoes, and send 10 ft monsters flying hundreds of feet.

The contrast of this:

followed immediately by this:

made me :funny:

What's so funny about that?

Last edited:
Whats the general thought about Taylor being the director around here?

I admit I am a little sad that Branagh cant direct again is there any truth to that he left because of how fast he would have to work on it?

(side note im still suprised at how good Thor turned out espically with a director who hadnt done any thing like it so I have faith in Taylor to do good.)

The only work of his that I've seen is his episodes on Game of Thrones, which he's done a solid job on. He seems to have pretty good instincts and a good eye, and he seems to get pretty good performances out of his actors. I think he'll do fine.

Whats the general thought about Taylor being the director around here?

I admit I am a little sad that Branagh cant direct again is there any truth to that he left because of how fast he would have to work on it?

(side note im still suprised at how good Thor turned out espically with a director who hadnt done any thing like it so I have faith in Taylor to do good.)

At first it was "OMG Marvel is going the cheap route again", but now most posters are excited about what he brings to the table.

Last edited:
Just because the guy comes from a big tv back round doesnt mean any thing bad every director has got to get there start some where.

Buts its good to know hes done stuff kinda like this Game Of Thrones.

Just because the guy comes from a big tv back round doesnt mean any thing bad every director has got to get there start some where.

Yeah I agree, I've been feeling the exact same way from the get go.

I'm fasinated by the idea of Marvel seeking television creative staff now more than cinematic talent. I wonder if that's a logical part of working in a shared universe.

Television staff are more likely to work as a team whereas a movie director kind of has a 'THIS IS MY VISION!!!!' approach maybe?

I'm looking forward to what results could come about from this.

I am confident that Taylor will make a really good director for a Thor film especially with all the Asgardian stuff I mean the episodes from GOT that i like are all directed by him

Not to mention his top notch episodes for The Sopranos, Mad Men & Boardwalk Empire. I hope he can bring the perfect balance of fantasy and realism found in Game of Thrones to Thor 2.

I think on GOT he handles the fantasy elements and actors really well, but sometimes his story-telling is a bit long winded and he throws unnecessary parts in.

BUT, thats probably more of a fault with the book moreso than the director, so hopefully with a coherent script we get a great movie.

I think on GOT he handles the fantasy elements and actors really well, but sometimes his story-telling is a bit long winded and he throws unnecessary parts in.

BUT, thats probably more of a fault with the book moreso than the director, so hopefully with a coherent script we get a great movie.

Yeah I was going to say, because the TV show is pretty much direct from the book. I'm not sure what you're referring to as "unnecessary parts". George R.R. Martin is executive producer and wrote the screenplay himself. The book elaborates on stuff a bit more, but it's pretty much straight out of the book.

I'm a huge fan of GOT so I'm glad Taylor got the gig. I read that Hemsworth became a GOT fan as well, so I'm sure he's excited to have Taylor onboard to direct the sequel. Hopefully Portman will simmer down and realize that Marvel made the right decision for the director, instead of going for the one she recommended.

Well I HOPE they all calm down. WE did with the loss of Kenneth :D

Yeah, and the TV shows he has directed have been critically acclaimed dramas. It's not like he's a director of some quirky sitcom or anything... oh wait. =P

I'm fasinated by the idea of Marvel seeking television creative staff now more than cinematic talent. I wonder if that's a logical part of working in a shared universe.

Television staff are more likely to work as a team whereas a movie director kind of has a 'THIS IS MY VISION!!!!' approach maybe?

I'm looking forward to what results could come about from this.

This is a really, really interesting thought. And besides collaboration, TV staff also inherently think episodically, telling intriguing self-contained stories within a larger, overarching narrative. That lends itself quite well to, say, ongoing movie franchises, wouldn't you agree? Continuity! Boom.

That's probably why some comic book writers translate their talents to TV writing quite well.

Yeah, and the TV shows he has directed have been critically acclaimed dramas. It's not like he's a director of some quirky sitcom or anything... oh wait. =P

This is a really, really interesting thought. And besides collaboration, TV staff also inherently think episodically, telling intriguing self-contained stories within a larger, overarching narrative. That lends itself quite well to, say, ongoing movie franchises, wouldn't you agree? Continuity! Boom.

That's probably why some comic book writers translate their talents to TV writing quite well.

Good points, of course. Which begs the question:

WHY THE HELL DON'T YOU START MOVING PROPERTIES TO TV INSTEAD OF FEATURES, MARVEL?!?!?!111!!?? :cmad::yay:

Good points, of course. Which begs the question:

WHY THE HELL DON'T YOU START MOVING PROPERTIES TO TV INSTEAD OF FEATURES, MARVEL?!?!?!111!!?? :cmad::yay:

I'll respond to this with the same response that I gave you in another thread:
Because their Head of Television is a total f**king idiot. :doh:

In fact, it's the one reason I don't want Marvel to bring their properties to television at the moment--to keep Jeph Loeb's grubby hands off of them!

Has anyone been able to find any interview with Alan Taylor regarding Thor 2? I can't find anything at all, and am just interested in hearing what he has to say? To be honest it doesn't even need to be about the next Thor movie, just in general, I would like to hear him speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"