The Director of THOR 3

Moridin i acidentally found this article and voice over from Taika Waititi describing that scene in particular and how he accomplished it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/17/movies/taika-waititi-narrates-a-scene-from-hunt-for-the-wilderpeople.html

Very interesting stuff and quite inventive from his part. It was all one shot! I never thought he had done it the way he did.
Amazing what he was capable of creating all in one shot and with doubles... Smart guy and smart bit of choreography. I would have never guessed.

Very cool :up:

[YT]g9n_UPyVR5s[/YT]

Last edited:
Julian Dennison from THFTWP joined the Deadpool 2 cast. :yay:

Screen%20Shot%202017-06-28%20at%2011.04.13%20AM.png

[YT]us6ZcvCcYoo[/YT]

You sir are an absolute genius. Hats off.

tenor.gif

Waititi was not joking when he said he wanted to reinvent Thor. Hats off to him.

Having loved the two films I've seen from Taika this far I'm so happy that he seems to deliver just as well when he goes to the big blockbuster.

It's interesting how much the general audience doesn't have a clue who Taika Waititi is. And understandable too because he hasn't done mega movies but he's one of those pearls that you find once in a while. I hope he keeps up the great work and delivers a great final product to everyone. He's definitely on the right path.

682b49573e90cc5128047942107d7aa9

actor-taika-waititi-from-the-film-thor-ragnarok-is-photographed-in-picture-id825653710

Last edited:
This isn't about Ragnarok but it came up in my Youtube feed and I found it to be a nice little video about Waititi's filmmaking

[YT]f0h3WPcPtNo[/YT]

Happy Birthday Taika Waititi!
[YT]us6ZcvCcYoo[/YT]
Thank you for these 2 epic trailers. :yay:

[YT]v7MGUNV8MxU[/YT][YT]ue80QwXMRHg[/YT]

Happy Birthday Taika, you crazy awesome genius! :woot:

tumblr_ofqyog3aMg1qa1s2no7_r1_250.gif

ET set visit
Meet Director Taika Waititi

Who is he? Waititi is a New Zealand-born writer-director who has helmed wonderful films like What We Do in the Shadows and Hunt for the Wilderpeople. (Both of which should be required viewing, pre-Ragnarok.) You've already seen some of his work, surely, as Waititi made the short, "Team Thor," which explained where Thor was during the events of Captain America: Civil War. (He was living with an office worker named Darryl.)

Waititi acts as well and cast himself in the role of Korg the Kronan in Ragnarok. (When ET caught up with him earlier this year in the edit bays at Marvel Studios, he referred to Korg as an 8-foot tall rock creature in "a 2017 metal bikini.") One character you won't see is Darryl. "OK, so far that's a rumor. I think maybe I started that rumor inadvertently, when I said there was more footage from the thing that we made and that we were planning to put out more footage...I just can't see where he'd go in this..."

How is he making Thor his own? Thor is funny now, for one. "Sometimes I wonder how many takes I've ruined with just my voice and my laughter,” Waititi says. The glut of Waititi's past work is comedic, with a heavy emphasis on improvisation, and Thompson praises her director’s ability to bring that to Marvel, crafting a lighter tone that wasn't present for the Shakespearian Thor or brooding Thor: The Dark World.

"The exciting thing is, Marvel took [Waititi] on and instead of trying to have him fit into a mold, it really expanded the mold to include his kind of filmmaking," she praises, with a promise that fans of the first two Thor films will still be satisfied. "It is at once funny and touching."

"That's definitely my background," Waititi agrees. "I felt I should embrace that side and breathe a little bit more life into this franchise. in that sense, in the way that you don't need to shy away from how fun these kind of adventures and these stories and these characters can be, while also retaining that epic, very dark sense that comes through from a lot of the comic stories as well. Especially with a character like Thor, it is an opportunity to see, y'know, a god, a cosmic being on a cosmic adventure, with Bruce Banner aka the Incredible Hulk. It has to be fun!"

ET set visit

Meet Director Taika Waititi

Who is he? Waititi is a New Zealand-born writer-director who has helmed wonderful films like What We Do in the Shadows and Hunt for the Wilderpeople. (Both of which should be required viewing, pre-Ragnarok.)

And BOY! Why does Boy almost always get left out? It's his best film.

Taika is becoming a busy man nowadays. Has he said once he would like to alternate between big and smaller projects and i guess that's exactly what he is going to do. He's also attached to "Bubbles, a stop-motion animated film based upon Michael Jackson’s pet chimp". Taking into account Taika Waititi sensibilities and from what i read, "Jojo Rabbit" sounded to me like it could be similar to 1997 movie Life is Beautiful with Roberto Benigni.

‘Akira’ Back? ‘Thor: Ragnarok’ Helmer Taika Waititi In Talks

EXCLUSIVE: Akira is revving back up, with Warner Bros negotiating with Taika Waititi, the New Zealand-born director and actor who helmed Thor: Ragnarok. Pic is a live action version of anime artist Katsuhiro Otomo’s 6-volume graphic novel. The story takes place in the rebuilt New Manhattan where a leader of a biker gang saves his friend from a medical experiment. Mad Chance’s Lazar is producing with Appian Way’s Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson. The picture has been a big priority since Warner Bros and Legendary Pictures acquired it for 7-figures from manga publisher Kodansha. The intention has always been to make 2 films, each covering 3 books in the series. Akira was first adapted for the screen in 1988.

The picture got close several times. Mark Fergus & Hawk Ostby and Book of Eli scribe Gary Whitta wrote a script which originally had Ruairi Robinson aboard to direct. The Hughes Brothers and Jaume Collet-Serra were among the filmmakers who sparked to it. It got closest to a start date several years ago, until it closed the Vancouver production office, the studio let lapse test options deals it had with Dane DeHaan and Michael Pitt,. who had been competing for the lead role of Tetsuo, and were going to star alongside Garrett Hedlund, Kristin Stewart, and potentially Ken Watanabe and Helena Bonham Carter. It halted.

Waititi’s booked next to direct Jojo Rabbit, a WWII dramedy that is set up at Fox Searchlight with a spring start date. Waititi wrote the script. CAA and Manage-ment rep him.

I guess WB is also really liking what they see from Ragnarok this far as it's pretty big for him to get a second big film project before his first one has even been released.

It's a little known fact that Waititi invented the Sling-Ring portals from Dr Strange

964568-3x2-940x627.jpg

giphy.gif

Hollywood Reporter
WHY 'THOR: RAGNAROK' DIRECTOR TAIKA WAITITI IS THE "BEST-DRESSED HELMER" IN HOLLYWOOD

Described as such by Ava DuVernay, the actor-director — who showed up at Comic-Con in a pineapple-print men's romper — explains how he pushes the aesthetic envelope.

Taika Waititi is a fashion superhero. The proof: When the New Zealand native and director of November's Thor: Ragnarok showed up at Comic-Con in July, he stole the spotlight from his stars, including Chris Hemsworth, Cate Blanchett and Idris Elba, by pulling off an outfit that almost no other Hollywood man could: a men's romper look — and in a pineapple print, no less. The getup prompted director Ava DuVernay to tweet that he's the entertainment industry's "best-dressed helmer," and fashion news sites took note, giving him plaudits ranging from saying "this outfit is perfection" to calling him a "style icon." There's even a Twitter account, @taika_fashion, that chronicles his looks.

Waititi, 42, is part of a burgeoning group of entertainment-world men with highly original and bold personal style, from such stars as Jared Leto, Atlanta's LaKeith Stanfield, Pharrell Williams and Harry Styles to director Paul Feig of Bridesmaids and Spy, who has a line of suits coming out this fall with J.Crew. Because these guys are talent, they — unlike their compatriots in Hollywood's executive ranks — are afforded a fair bit of sartorial latitude. "Some would call it peacocking. It probably is, but I've always loved bright things and things that stand out," says Waititi during a break from putting the final touches on Marvel's Thor sequel, his first big studio film. Harking back to the classic comic books and giving the costumes an '80s edge enabled Waititi to do "a really fresh new take on the whole franchise. That's one of the things that drew me to it [and because] Chris [Hemsworth] wanted to do something different. He wanted to move away from the version of Thor who was stoic and wasn't the most interesting element of the film. Whereas now, he is the best character. He spent a couple of years on Earth with Tony Stark and has got this colloquialism now, which is way more relatable for audiences and way more fun." Adds Brad Winderbaum, vp production and development at Marvel Studios and executive producer on the film: "We met with Taika a few times, and he had a great angle on the character. [Marvel head] Kevin Feige realized this guy could bring something special to Thor. He really wanted to highlight Chris Hemsworth as a comedic force." Waititi also appears in Thor: Ragnarok via motion-capture as a villain called Korg, and he is currently in talks with Warner Bros. to direct a live-action feature adaptation of the anime classic Akira.

Waititi won the Thor job on the strength of his independent films, which he has described as dealing mainly with "the clumsiness of humanity." With a flair for fusing comedy and drama in unforgettable coming-of-age stories, he has directed the two top-grossing New Zealand-made films of all time: 2010's Boy and 2016's Hunt for the Wilderpeople, which each raked in nearly $10 million in a nation of just 4.8 million people. The latter is about a Tupac-obsessed Maori teen who stands apart in the wilderness with his urban leopard-print baseball cap and dollar-sign-print jacket. "He makes up for his personality by wearing bright colors," says Waititi. His earlier film, Boy, set in the 1980s, is about an 11-year-old who's obsessed with Michael Jackson and longs to meet his long-absent father, played by Waititi. He also co-directed with Jemaine Clement (Flight of the Conchords, Moana) the 2014 mockumentary What We Do in the Shadows, in which he plays one of five vampires who share a flat in Wellington, New Zealand. Waititi scored the character with the best costumes: an 18th century dandy turned bloodsucker flaunting lace collars and flouncy sleeves.

But now that he has ascended to the directing big leagues, Waititi hasn't become any more cautious with his style. Unrestrained patterns and prints are a staple for him, whether it's shirts covered in mega-polka dots or bananas or bomber jackets, such as the one with a black panther design by Stolen Girlfriend's Club that he wore to the Sundance premiere of Wilderpeople. Even when he's rocking a loud print, the cut always works for his body type (which he says he keeps trim by doing intermittent fasting, often restricting daily eating to an eight-hour period). "I don't do weird shapes. I hate boxy giant shirts. If you push it too far, you're leaning into a clown look. You have to watch out for that," says the director, who also can successfully get away with the generally impossible feat of wearing a newsboy cap. Adds Mayes Rubeo, the costume designer for Thor: Ragnarok, "He's very careful that everything has to fit well. I think design is fundamental for him, and it shows in his everyday style."

Waititi says that he has never experienced a downside to standing out with his wardrobe in Hollywood. "I don't ever wear anything conservative in a business sense," he says, admitting he finds men's style in Los Angeles lacking. "In Hollywood in general, especially in the studios, it's a very boring style. It's very safe. It's a 'you might as well be wearing a beeper on your belt' style, you know. Just tucking in an ugly shirt into some ugly trousers serves a purpose in a way, but you may as well just wear jeans and a T-shirt to work. To me, that's not dressing well." On the set of Thor, by contrast, Waititi wore a suit to work almost every day (his favorites are by Paul Smith and Topman), not unlike David O. Russell, another Hollywood style icon. "Ever since I was a kid, I loved the idea of leaving the house and going to work. I couldn't wait to get a job and actually go to work. So if I'm on a set now, I like to make some effort to present myself," says the director, who is married to producer-director Chelsea Winstanley (a co-director of the new film Waru, a drama about child abuse in a community of indigenous Maori, which premiered at this year's Toronto Film Festival). When in L.A., the couple stays in Hollywood; they have two young girls, ages 2 and 5.

Waititi — who was nominated for an Oscar in 2004 for his short film Two Cars, One Night — was raised in a small town of around 300 people in rural New Zealand, the son of a farmer father, who is Maori, and a schoolteacher mother, who is European and Jewish. (Early on in his career, he sometimes went by the name Taika Cohen, using his mother's maiden name.) He recalls as a kid hungering for images of people of color to look up to. "We were looking for heroes who were like us, you know?" says Waititi, whose childhood idols were Michael Jackson (one of the director's next projects will be a stop-motion animated film called Bubbles about the late singer's pet chimpanzee) and Bob Marley. The reggae singer, to this day, inspires his style. "Bob Marley was big into denim, and I love denim," says the director, who also has become a strong voice speaking out against bigotry, whether on his Instagram account (where his bio states, "Give Nothing to Racism") or working earlier this year on a campaign for New Zealand's Human Rights Commission. For that, he created a satirical ad that encouraged people to be "a tiny bit racist," making the point that micro-aggressions can add up when directed at people of color. "They'll be getting hundreds of small bits every day. … It will be noticed," he says in the PSA.

When it comes to style, Waititi — who is based in Auckland but spends lots of time in L.A. — pulls off his idiosyncratic style choices with a dose of braggadocio and humor. "Sorry you're not me. #god," he wrote on his Instagram when he posted a shot of his pineapple outfit, which technically wasn't a romper but a matching shirt and shorts combo by L.A.-based Wallpapr. The company was co-founded in March by cinematographer Kevin Gosselin, who says that after Waititi wore the design, "we were getting orders all over the world the next day." For another Instagram post in which he wore a denim jacket paired with jeans, Waititi typed, "Yeah it's double ****ing denim. Even the hair is denim. The lesson? Be me. #GodOfDenim." In photo shoots, he's known for clowning around, throwing off Zoolander-type poses. "Taika is so much fun," says Rubeo. "Fun is something you don't buy. He was born with it." Adds Waititi, "Making movies is like a fancy job that no one has realized is not really a job. It's a really sweet, small, little creative corridor that I've managed to squeeze into. So I think you've got to embrace that."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/why-thor-ragnarok-director-taika-waititi-is-best-dressed-helmer-hollywood-1043452

thr_taika_02_008_d-h_2017_thr.jpg

All clothes are Waititi’s. The director, who was photographed Sept. 17 at The Hollywood Roosevelt hotel, found this Chinese-design vest at a yard sale. “I was like, ‘I have to have this.’ It has this amazing pattern on the back.” The sweatshirt underneath is from Uniqlo. T-shirt by Barneys New York. Jeans by Ksubi. Nike shoes.

thr_taika_02_108_b-embed_thr.jpg

Waititi's 41mm automatic TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 5 Day-Date ($2,850) was a gift from Hemsworth, who stars in the Swiss maker’s ad campaigns. “In the last few years, I just started falling in love with nice watches,” says Waititi.

thr_taika_01_056_d-embed_thr.jpg

Even for a studio sit-down, Waititi says he focuses on what he prefers to wear. He likes this jacket because “it reminds me of a jacket that Paul Newman wore in The Hustler. It’s a kind of ’50s look.” Shirt by APC. Jacket by Saks Fifth Avenue. Pants by Steve Allen. Shoes by Topman.

thr_taika_03_026_d-embed_thr.jpg

Waititi doesn’t own a tuxedo. Instead, he prefers to wear dark suits that are dressed up with matching accessories in eye-catching colors, like green. “A lot of American cuts can be boxy. I look for a good European cut,” says the director of the suits he favors from Paul Smith and Topman. The latter, he notes, “are great straight off-the-rack. They fit terrifically. They’re not too expensive. If you get them dirty, you don’t feel bad the way you do if you are wearing a $2,000 suit.” Tie, pocket square and shoes by Topman. Shirt by Uniqlo. His wife bought him the eagle ring in Canada.

Marvel.com - TAIKA WAITITI TALKS TAKING ON THE CHALLENGE OF 'THOR: RAGNAROK'

“Thor: Ragnarok” director Taika Waititi is excited to unveil his vision. Speaking with Marvel.com on a set visit, Waititi talked about taking on the challenge of bringing Ragnarok to life, Thor’s new formidable adversary, and how the Son of Odin is similar to a 1980’s icon. I suppose you could say Thor’s a reasonable guy who’s just experienced some very unreasonable things.

Fans have been waiting for “Ragnarok” and Waititi is ready to show it to them, “A lot of people are excited by the idea of what Ragnarok means. But to me it means the stripping down of the establishment of what’s already there, and then building it up in a new way.”

“I said this before, if the movie’s called Thor, then Thor should be the best character,” said Waititi. Expanding his thoughts on the God of Thunder, “My main focus was making him cool, and funny when he needs to be, heroic when he needs to be.”

Thor’s changed and it turns out he’s picked up a sense of humor from an old friend, “Thor spent two years hanging out with [Tony Stark]. So, he knows a little bit more about irony and sarcasm now. He’s got a little bit of Earth humor. He’s like a rich kid from outer space who’s spent some time slumming it for a bit, you know? So he’s instantly become a bit more interesting but he’s still in different parts of the Cosmos, and still learning as he goes.”

For Waititi, Thor’s personality was similar to that of well-known 1980’s protagonist, “In my mind, I had imagined Thor being a bit like Jack Burton,” said Waititi. The similarities between Big Trouble in Little China’s lead played by Kurt Russell feels like a leap, but Waititi explains, “He’s a great hero who’s making his way through the adventure.”

As far as Thor’s foe, Cate Blanchett’s Hela is a worthy opponent. “Cate is the first female villain, and for me, the most interesting villain because she is multidimensional. She’s layered. She’s troubled. She’s really funny. So I think it’s gonna be really satisfying to people.” Waititi explains Hela’s prowess, “Her character has amazing powers, she wears the cowl, she has the antlers, and she looks amazing in the concept art and stuff. Thor in the films has never fought anyone tougher than this lady.”

Similar to his previous films, Waititi wants to strike a balance between comedy and drama, “That’s always been my focus with this whole thing, to make it really entertaining, and poignant, and profound when it needs to be, but and also adventurous and funny.”

“We’ll improvise some stuff. I’ll be next to actors and yell suggestions at them all the time, and just coming from that place where I’m with my friends I’m used to doing that—yelling at each other for outtakes—it’s a bit messy.”

Waititi’s so called messiness leads to a cohesive film thanks to creative editing, “But I think, from that messiness comes really great kinda spur of the moment stuff. The balance is always found for me on the editing. So with most takes, I would do stuff that’s way over the top, and then bring it down, and get something exactly what’s on the page, and then something that’s a nice sort of middle balance where the tone is a little bit more natural.”

Having worked on smaller films, the jump to a large vehicle like “Thor: Ragnarok” can be a challenge. Waititi puts it in perspective, “You know, at the end of the day when you call ‘Action’…the lens is pointed at two or three people. You’re looking down at the little rectangle. And so for me the experience is completely the same, other than we have to do a lot more effects and all that stuff, but that’s all part of it. I don’t get annoyed by how long that stuff takes because I’ve seen all these other films, and you take the time to get that stuff right.”

“This film is so crazy, so eclectic,” Waititi enthused. “There’s so many amazing characters, like a new style of Banner that we’ve never seen before; Hela, Loki’s in there, obviously, then Grand Master. It really is the craziest of the Marvel films. In a good way.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"