The Doors/Jim Morrison appreciation thread!!

!?!?!??!?!

I never see much respect given to The Doors, period. When I hear people talk about the greatest bands of all time, I never hear even as much of a mention of The Doors, or even Jim Morrison.

I never see much respect given to The Doors, period. When I hear people talk about the greatest bands of all time, I never hear even as much of a mention of The Doors, or even Jim Morrison.

Well there still talked about considerably forty years after their initial sucess which would suggest there held with great respect. And every greatest band list I've seen had the Doors on there (granted they weren't that high up but still mentioned).

Unquestionably one of my all time favorite bands. "Back Door Man" is the ****.

I have to agree here. For me personally, it's The Beatles, Queen then The Doors, LoL. :oldrazz:

I love the Doors . I could listen and not get high but still feel like i was lifted.

I came to the new Music forum section in the Hype and was shocked to see this thread at the bottom of the page. Personally my favourite Door's song is probably "The Crystal Ship" as well as "Riders of The Storm" and many others.

The new Doors documentary, WHEN YOUR STRANGE, debuts tonight at Sundance.

Oh wow I haven't listened to the Doors in a while. Now I feel like diving into my CD collection and putting those songs on my iPod. Riders on the Storm and The Alabama Song are probably my favorites. Now I gotta see that documentary.

the doors were a good solid band. but i do feel they're sort of over rated, or maybe the appreciation is misplaced. maybe, its just jim morrison who i think is over rated. the musical aspect was really great and what made the band work, but everyone always focus' on morrison and his drunken antics and lyrics, which i dont think are as profound as some people make them out to be. but yeah, they had some great songs and were a good band.

Yes, the music has always been my favorite part of the band. Robby Krieger has always been an inspiration to me as a guitar player, and Ray Manczarek has such a cool style to his keyboard playing. One hand on the keys the other on the Rhodes. Brilliant.

Yea I love Ray's style, all the organ type sounds just fit perfectly with their sorta, phychodelic melodies. But Jim did have a great voice, and some of the stuff him came up with was just insane. Yea he was big headed and arrogant, but that's what real rock stars were like back then.

Johnny Depp will be the film's narrator

The Doors are my fav band, love the sound they have, never get tired of them. fav albums in order:
1. The Doors
2. L.A Woman
3. Strange Days
4. Morrison Hotel
5. Waiting on the Sun
6. The Soft Parade

I like a lot of stuff on 'An American Prayer' too. The idea of a band putting music to their deceased singer's spoken word poetry sound slike an awful concept, but the album was done very tastefully and came together extremely well, it's very unique.
Reading books on the Doors is always a lot of fun too, you can read about the way they worked up their art, and get laughs out of all the Morrison stories too. 'Break on through' was probably the best one I ever read. John Densmore's was a good read too, I went to a signing he did for it, funny stuff in there, like how he would grow large mutton chop sideburns to try and get the attention of girls away from Morrison in the early days.
Ray Manzarek's was a funny one too, havent looked at it in years, lent out for ages, but i recall his description of he and Morrison in the early days going down to a children's palypark everyday and getting good on the hand to hand climbing bars, 'Me and Morrison, the two monkey men.'

They along with the Stones realy got me into music in a big way,I got 2 stones albums alonmg with my 1st stereo and i bought the Doors 1st album a couple of days after that. I was lucky in that i had a friend at school who's dad was in a band and would turn him onto all kinds of old rock music. The Doors was like a secret thing and I was very surprised when we heard a movie was being made, when that came out they were (edit: everywhere, and the shops started actually getting all their albums in. Before the movie the dope smokers were all about Pink Floyd, but the movie made it PF and the doors, or PF vs The doors) Kilmer was great as Morrison, the concert scenes were great,good visuals too, it's still a good watch , it can come in for a slagging but at least Oliver stone was a devoted fan and it shows, it could've been a lot worse in someone else's hands.

edit: Sorry, I could go on and on about the Doors, they really had a big impact on my life, made me want to try my own hand at playing music and being in a band, which brought me a lot of good times in my life. Thanks for starting the thread so i could get a little of that Doors love off my chest.

Last edited:
"come on, come on, now touch me babe, can't you see that i am not afraaaid?!!!"

BEST THING EVER!!!

I just came back from visiting Jim's grave in Pere Lachise Cemetery in Paris (where Oscar Wilde and Ediaf Pieaf are buried as well.) I'd recommend it to any major Doors fan if you're in Paris and you have the time to check it out.

The Doors are one of my top favorite bands.

There are so many good songs, I think The End is my favorite, followed closely by LA Woman.

Re-seeing the Doors movie starring Val Kilmer actually gave me a newfound respect for them, I’m amazed it was Val singing all the songs, it’s almost identical. Long live the Lizard King!

Long live the Lizard King!!!

If anyone wants any Doors avvys post your requests in here.

The Doors are one of my top favorite bands.

There are so many good songs, I think The End is my favorite, followed closely by LA Woman.

Re-seeing the Doors movie starring Val Kilmer actually gave me a newfound respect for them, I’m amazed it was Val singing all the songs, it’s almost identical. Long live the Lizard King!

In some scenes, yes, but not all.

'Riders on the Storm' was the inspiration for 'The Hitcher' movie. How cool is that? :)

For uk viewers, I just noticed that there is a new Doors documentary on tonight on BBC 4, from 22.20-23.20, about the making of LA Woman.

Aye, that Doors doc last night was great, it even had footage of them in their rehersal space performing crawling king snake for the album, I mean, that is pure golddust to a Doors fan, you get to the point where you think you have seen every bit of performance footage in existence and then they dig out another bit of achive footage.

and I have been out of the loop following Doors news, so i had no idea they released a 40th anniversary edition of LA Woman last year, with a newly discovered song from the sessions called 'she smells so nice', and all these alternate takes of the songs.

There are very few recordings of the songs from this album live in concert because Morrison died not long after the recording, only a couple of songs were ever performed in concert, and with the exception of one(been down so long) they are all very poor quality bootleg recordings. so what is great about these newly released alternate versions, is that they are performed live in the studio, so you can hear how they might've sounded in live performance. As opposed to their other studio albums, the Doors recorded this album in their rehersal room, so they are just jamming along, having fun.
So, I have been enjoying this version of Love Her Madly a lot today, esp as it has a middle section around 1.43 that sounds very different from the record, with Manzarek playing a different type of piano jam:

[YT]OaLGpVsWfis[/YT]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaLGpVsWfis

edit: and here is the newly discovered lost song from the LA Woman sessions, y'know, it is just a blues boogie type deal, just them jamming, but it is a new Doors song, and that is a big deal when you are a hardcore fan who never expected to ever hear anything new from them ever again:

[YT]CGCRWD4m-5A[/YT]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"