The Metallica appreciation thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man-Thing

Avenger
Reaction score
This is a thread dedicated to the best hard rock/metal band ever!
Original'n.jpg

met.jpg

cliff-james.jpg

Metallica-groupeold2.jpg

pi_j_wguitar.jpg

photoop1.jpg

music1.jpg

As much as I LOVE metallica. and believe me, I have all of the albums except Load and Reloaded or whatever. To me, it just seems like they are getting ready to crawl into their death bed.

Metallica died with Cliff. Nothing they've done since even compares to thier first three albums... I love em, but they should have stopped.

Bishop Cori said:
Metallica died with Cliff. Nothing they've done since even compares to thier first three albums... I love em, but they should have stopped.

:up:

SAINT ANGER SUCKED!!!!!

Although I love the rest of their stuff, but they went downhill after James found god and stopped drinking.

How many great songs were made from drinking and drugs. Drugs/Alcohol + Rock Band = Great F'ing music

Dr Doom said:
SAINT ANGER SUCKED!!!!!

Although I love the rest of their stuff, but they went downhill after James found god and stopped drinking.
God and sobriety have killed their fair share of great bands.

Let's hope they do something to make up for St. Anger...............

Lars said in an interview that the next album is going to be 70 minutes of normal snare drums and sequeaky guitar solos

but seriously, I've enjoyed Metallica since Master Of Puppets came out (I was 11 years old!!!) I loved Justice and thought that the Black Album, although overplayed, it did a really great job at bringing their sound into the mainstream, and to anyone who disagrees, during that tour, they would play most of the songs of that album but the stuff that they played the most was pre 88

I loved their 90's country-alternative-metal albums, they are great songs, but they only had one problem: too many songs, I've said it before, they should have just released an album with 18 songs and the rest release them as b-sides

st anger had several problems:
-james going pussywipped on us
-they needed to get rid of bob rock
-jason should have had more input into the band
-the songs were way too long and poorly arrenged
-etc
still, it could have been a great album

PLAS said:
Lars said in an interview that the next album is going to be 70 minutes of normal snare drums and sequeaky guitar solos

but seriously, I've enjoyed Metallica since Master Of Puppets came out (I was 11 years old!!!) I loved Justice and thought that the Black Album, although overplayed, it did a really great job at bringing their sound into the mainstream, and to anyone who disagrees, during that tour, they would play most of the songs of that album but the stuff that they played the most was pre 88

I loved their 90's country-alternative-metal albums, they are great songs, but they only had one problem: too many songs, I've said it before, they should have just released an album with 18 songs and the rest release them as b-sides

st anger had several problems:
-james going pussywipped on us
-they needed to get rid of bob rock
-jason should have had more input into the band
-the songs were way too long and poorly arrenged
-etc
still, it could have been a great album

I actually greatly enjoyed St. Anger. Yeah, it was different in many ways than past albums but it still had that Metallica feel. So what if they drop tuned their guitars, lost the guitar solos and Lars experiemented with different snare sounds. You, being a musician, I'd think would understand the desire for a 20+ year old band to want to try different stuff.

adressing your problems:
1) How was James pussywhipped? Yeah, he got himself clean, off of drugs and alchohol. You know what? GOOD FOR HIM. GOOD FOR HIS FAMILY. GOOD FOR THE BAND. If James continued on this downward spiral, he would have lost his family, his band mates and maybe his life. I'm glad he was mature and focused enough to straighten his life out. And lyricwise, how is THIS *****fied:

Get the f**k out of here
I just wanna get the f**k away from me
I rage, I glaze, I hurt, I hate
It hate it all, why? Why? Why me?

I cannot sleep wth a head like this
I wanna cry, I wanna scream
I wanna hate it all away

Hmmm...seems to follow many of his old lyrics. so he must have been *****fied before too. some of you have said James found God (i'm guessing becoming a christian?). is this true? i havent heard this.

2) Bob Rock is an interesting fellow. I wont argue with you on this, but i wont agree either. I'll just say that Bob worked with them before and turned out good albums. Rock even said that he wouldnt work with metallica on St Anger if it was going to be the same old stuff, so dont blame him for the album.

3) Yes, Jason should have had more input in the band, but James and Lars were the song writers for all the albums (until SA). BUT at the time of St. Anger, it didnt matter; he quit the band. He had nothing to do with ANY of the writing of the album of any kind. Jason was just the first to go if James hadnt of got his act together.

4) I thought the length of the songs were fine. Have you forgotten that many of Metallica's early songs were just as long? Yeah, to be honest, at times, many of the riffs could have used LESS repeating, but come on, its ****ing Metallica; they do what they want. Arrangement wise, I thought the songs were interesting. I enjoy how they put them together. they all flowed (as much as metallica CAN "flow") and kicked you in the balls at the same time.

its my opinion that if they played the songs in their usual half/step down tuning, and kept the solos, MOST people wouldnt have anything to say.

Spider-Who? said:
I actually greatly enjoyed St. Anger. Yeah, it was different in many ways than past albums but it still had that Metallica feel. So what if they drop tuned their guitars, lost the guitar solos and Lars experiemented with different snare sounds. You, being a musician, I'd think would understand the desire for a 20+ year old band to want to try different stuff.

I enjoyed St Anger too, but it was a trainwreck of an album, great ideas met halfway through, some of the greatest riffs they've done and the lyrics were pretty great too, the solos, and drum sounds and tunnings I could care less about that, but let's face it, Hammet's strengt lies on his guitar solos, maybe he wanted to go in a more experimental way, but it didn't go through, my whole beef is with the arrengements

Spider-Who? said:
adressing your problems:
1) How was James pussywhipped? Yeah, he got himself clean, off of drugs and alchohol. You know what? GOOD FOR HIM. GOOD FOR HIS FAMILY. GOOD FOR THE BAND. If James continued on this downward spiral, he would have lost his family, his band mates and maybe his life. I'm glad he was mature and focused enough to straighten his life out. And lyricwise, how is THIS *****fied:

Get the f**k out of here
I just wanna get the f**k away from me
It hate it all, why? Why? Why me?

I cannot sleep wth a head like this
I wanna cry, I wanna scream
I wanna hate it all away

Hmmm...seems to follow many of his old lyrics. so he must have been *****fied before too. some of you have said James found God (i'm guessing becoming a christian?). is this true? i havent heard this.

see Some Kind Of Monster, that's all I have to say, the guy's job is being in Metallica, and he takes some really strange attitudes toward that, I mean, I have a family too, and I keep a day job, but Metallica is his frickin day job

Spider-Who? said:
2) Bob Rock is an interesting fellow. I wont argue with you on this, but i wont agree either. I'll just say that Bob worked with them before and turned out good albums. Rock even said that he wouldnt work with metallica on St Anger if it was going to be the same old stuff, so dont blame him for the album.

I agree with you here too, but Rock has got to go for their next album, just like Flemming Rassmusen was off after Justice

Spider-Who? said:
3) Yes, Jason should have had more input in the band, but James and Lars were the song writers for all the albums (until SA). BUT at the time of St. Anger, it didnt matter; he quit the band. He had nothing to do with ANY of the writing of the album of any kind. Jason was just the first to go if James hadnt of got his act together.

it will always be a pitty, these guys are the main songwritters, but they really wasted someone really talented, yes, he's a great bass player, but he is also someone with such a wide array of musical tastes, and a very talented songwriter too, and he left because, among other things they wouldn't let him persue other proyects while metallica was on hiatus, and they would also never use his ideas... kinda like that drummer guy in Nirvana, remember him?

Spider-Who? said:
4) I thought the length of the songs were fine. Have you forgotten that many of Metallica's early songs were just as long? Yeah, to be honest, at times, many of the riffs could have used LESS repeating, but come on, its ****ing Metallica; they do what they want. Arrangement wise, I thought the songs were interesting. I enjoy how they put them together. they all flowed (as much as metallica CAN "flow") and kicked you in the balls at the same time.

I remember their old albums, refer to my first post for more info on that, but one thing is having a song long just because you are pointlesly repeating the same parts over and over and something totally different is having a song that lasts 9 minutes becuase there are way too many ideas that flow together and arrengements that keep the song interesting and the listener interested... hell, I never even realized Call Of Ktullu was ten minutes long, and it's a ****ing instrumental!!! but what makes it different from, say Sweet Amber? interesting arrengements

Spider-Who? said:
its my opinion that if they played the songs in their usual half/step down tuning, and kept the solos, MOST people wouldnt have anything to say.

like I said before, I didn't mind the lack of solos or the tunnings, hell, in the Load albums they were using country/western elements and I loved them. just like I love Metallica, trust me, they are, and have been and will be one of my favorite bands, and I will buy any album they release, but to say that I felt let down about SA makes me less of a fan? I don't think so... but if only the songs had been shaved a little bit, you know, take out the unnecesary fat, they would have been just great

DOG LIPS said:
Poor Napster. :(
I really agree with you and that one, as far as I know, Metallica became what they are due to massive tapetrading... guess it's not the same when the same fans hit you in the wallet

I really hate artists who go after P2P programs. "Oh no, now I can only buy twelve Bentlys instead of thirteen."

Dr Doom said:
I really hate artists who go after P2P programs. "Oh no, now I can only buy twelve Bentlys instead of thirteen."
Damnit Now I can't cook toast in my golden toaster :mad:

thanks for replying!

PLAS said:
I enjoyed St Anger too, but it was a trainwreck of an album, great ideas met halfway through, some of the greatest riffs they've done and the lyrics were pretty great too, the solos, and drum sounds and tunnings I could care less about that, but let's face it, Hammet's strengt lies on his guitar solos, maybe he wanted to go in a more experimental way, but it didn't go through, my whole beef is with the arrengements.

yeah, Hammet's strength is in his lead work. He actually fought to get his solos on the album, but everyone else said that having solos would make the album feel "dated". (hammet shot back that the album WILL be dated w/out solos, since we are at a time where guitar solos dont exist in mainstream music).

see Some Kind Of Monster, that's all I have to say, the guy's job is being in Metallica, and he takes some really strange attitudes toward that, I mean, I have a family too, and I keep a day job, but Metallica is his frickin day job

I own some kind of monster. its pretty good. thats the thing, Metallica is more than just his day job. like many musicians, it is as much part of his life force as his real family. so any "strange attitudes" i can understand...for the most part.

I agree with you here too, but Rock has got to go for their next album, just like Flemming Rassmusen was off after Justice.

Yeah, i think they could use a new producer as well, for ****s and giggles even....but who?

it will always be a pitty, these guys are the main songwritters, but they really wasted someone really talented, yes, he's a great bass player, but he is also someone with such a wide array of musical tastes, and a very talented songwriter too, and he left because, among other things they wouldn't let him persue other proyects while metallica was on hiatus, and they would also never use his ideas... kinda like that drummer guy in Nirvana, remember him?

yeah, it does suck about Jason, but all in all, i think his depature was the best for everybody. I hope that Jason's new projects work out well.

I remember their old albums, refer to my first post for more info on that, but one thing is having a song long just because you are pointlesly repeating the same parts over and over and something totally different is having a song that lasts 9 minutes becuase there are way too many ideas that flow together and arrengements that keep the song interesting and the listener interested... hell, I never even realized Call Of Ktullu was ten minutes long, and it's a ****ing instrumental!!! but what makes it different from, say Sweet Amber? interesting arrengements

okay, yeah, you got me here. BUT i will say this: St. Anger, the way the album is arranged, works well for simply head banging, pounding your fists, letting the emotion that the songs create stir in you and go balls out (the most effective for metallica, to date, imo). The songs get you angery/excited, and thats the point they were trying to convey, IMO; not "okay, we'll have a I-V-vi progression here, then yes! switch to a relative minor key here!" type structure. as the album title suggests, the theme of the album is about raw intense emotion, and the song writing/arrangments reflect that. btw, sweet amber's one of my favs (next to unnamed feeling). and call of Ktullu rocks.

like I said before, I didn't mind the lack of solos or the tunnings, hell, in the Load albums they were using country/western elements and I loved them. just like I love Metallica, trust me, they are, and have been and will be one of my favorite bands, and I will buy any album they release, but to say that I felt let down about SA makes me less of a fan? I don't think so... but if only the songs had been shaved a little bit, you know, take out the unnecesary fat, they would have been just great

no, dont get me wrong. i wouldnt even begin to claim someone isnt a fan. i respect your thoughts on the album and am glad someone out there who has an issue with it can actually give reasons. i enjoyed St. Anger very much. And its a fun album to play guitar with, play fighting games to and let anger out with. yes, the album does have its faults, but for what it is, what its meant to be, i think its fine. cheers.

About half the songs on St. Anger do seemed rushed. I think if you watch SKOM, you can understand why. Their manager when he listened to the stuff from the Presidio recordings told them that all of them were weak but about four songs. I guess they put a lot of weight into what he says.

But, The unnamed feeling, St. Anger, Frantic, All within my hands, sweet amber, they all are good. I don't even mind the snare sound, it sounds different, and adds to it. When Load first came out, I hated it. Now it probably is my favorite album by them esspecially Outlaw and Bleeding Me. Those are true musical and lyrical master pieces.

As far as James finding God, he did say in the last issue of "SO WHAT?!" (the fan club mag) that he had found Jesus. Those are his words. I think it's cool.
I recently downloaded a concert of theirs from Live Metallica, and they played The God that Failed. Before they started James pretty much said that when the song was written that he couldn't understand why God (he doesn't say "God", but since this song is about him you can understand) felt so far away, but recently he realized that he had always been there. Also, he bearly even cusses, that's a big changed for Het.

He's also gotten a lot of religious tattoos. One of them is a Ford emblem, but instead of saying Ford it says "Faith", and it has a halo and angel wings on it. He has a tatto of a cross necklace around his neck, and a portrait of Jesus on one of his arms.

Not that it matters with his faith, but last year he was seen holding up Bush/Cheney signs after the show. He's been in the NRA for a long time, but he used to say he doesn't vote. He defenantly has changed.

Dr Doom said:
I hate it when so called "fans" think they are entitled to something for free. That pretty much goes with everything though, I hate it when anyone thinks they are entitled to something for free.

I don't care how many of their albums you have bought, if you can't contribute to their success by buying an album then you shouldn't be able to steal it.

wow. i'm glad that he has found faith in Christ. Thats really good for him. I wonder if/how that will effect Metallica...

PLAS said:
I really agree with you and that one, as far as I know, Metallica became what they are due to massive tapetrading... guess it's not the same when the same fans hit you in the wallet
The difference being that Metallica initiated the tape trading. They didn't give napster or it's users to take what is their rightfully copyrighted product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"