The Doors/Jim Morrison appreciation thread!!

I was all about them in the 80s. I was waiting for Jim to come out of hiding and make a comeback. I don't think it's going to happen though. :csad:

The 80s? I was thinking more like the 60s/70s...

I friggin' love The Doors. I listen to (one of) their greatest hits album when I go on road trips. Waiting for the Sun is one of my all time favorites by them...it has the potential to be an awesome metal song. :p

The 80s? I was thinking more like the 60s/70s...

I think she means post-Morrison's death, and she would be right, although there was also a big resurgence of interest in the early 90s after the Oliver Stone film came out.
As the 70s progressed, the Doors were largely forgotten, the use of The End in Apocalypse Now brought back some attention and interest, but Manzarek always told a story of how in the late 70s he heard some radio documentary about the 60's and it lamenting over the loss of Hendrix and Joplin at the end of the era, with no mention of Morrison, and realised that Morrison's memory was being lost in the shuffle.

So, he went on the campaign trail, doing interviews, and organising a Greatest Hits album and Morrison documentary that came out after Jerry Hopkins and Danny Sugarman's biography 'No One Here Gets Out Alive' was released, which was what caused the explosion of interest in the Doors again, it remaining on the best sellers list for a long time.
The bio movie was being developed in the 80s, it was just one of those films that took a while to get off the ground, Travolta was interested in playing Morrison back then, and took to hanging about with the Doors, but as drummer John Densmore said, 'Travolta was a nice guy, but he really wasn't right for the part.', with directors like Scorsese thinking about doing the movie, amongst others, until Stone came along, who had been a lifelong afficianado of the Doors, ever since being turned onto them during his stint in Vietnam.
The movie is not perfect, but I'm glad a real fan like Stone made the film, he saw the potential in kilmer(despite Kilmer sending him a terrible audition videotape of him performing as Morrison, which Stone said could have hurt him more than helped him), and the film is really a love letter to the Door's musical career.

I friggin' love The Doors. I listen to (one of) their greatest hits album when I go on road trips. Waiting for the Sun is one of my all time favorites by them...it has the potential to be an awesome metal song. :p

Aye, haha, that would make make a great heavy metal cover, it does have those big heavy dramatic chords, great song. It must be the only time in rock history where the song is not on the album that shares the same title, as it was on their 5th album Morrison Hotel, they couldn't get the song together properly during the recording of their 3rd album WFTS, but kept the title for the album anyway.

Last edited:
Yea I've seen the movie as well. Val Kilmer looks so much like Morrison at certain points, it's creepy (in a good way).
Notice how there's even exact frames in the movie that were based on photographs in real life? Or pretty darn close anyway, like when Jim is posing for the camera for what turns out to be the black and white photo of him with his arms stretched out wearing that Indian necklace...

Jim Morrison is the man I really like there greatest hits album I got a few of there other albums on my Mp3.
I actually did a airbrush painting of Jim in airbrush class when I was in HS Ill upload it later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"