The Eva Mendes/Roxanne Thread

BIGGUN said:
Actuall Noble Kale did have a girl...or wife i believe. think she was a gypsy maybe? she did have dark hair and complexion though....much like a latino.
she was also pregnant if i remember correctly and was burned at the stake for being a witch.
there was a supporting latin female character later on the GR 90s series...but i dont think she hooked up w/ Dan though.

Wow, I had no idea about that storyline. It must of happened in the issues past #62 (which I refuse to read past until actually owning the entire run. I can't wait to read the final 30 issues. I really can't. I only have about 10 issues in between to get). I guess she was introduced in developing Nobel's backstory... or was it in the current universe/time?

The second supporting character that you're talking about was probably Jennifer Kale, who was a witch (had her own 4 part series) and a decendant of Noble.

Yup...i remember Jen Kale...but there was another supporting character who was latino. they didnt go much into her but from what i gathered a romantic relationship was only hinted at between her and Dan. cant even remember if they actually dated or not...again im gonna have to dig up those later issues.

Magdelina was Noble's wife's name i think...and she lived during the time when Noble was human. i think it could have been sometime during the same era as the Salem witch trials since she was burned at the stake for being involved in witchcraft. i dont want to go too much into in as it would spoil some of the "surprises" in that issue. :D

Thanks for the info BG. You certainly are a wealth of Ghost Rider info... and here I though you only know the Blaze version. Nope, you know your poop, my friend. I'm very jealous that you actually have the issues to research with...

I may have to just skip the issues I don't have and read on in the series. There are 20 or so comics in my GR II collection that I just have not read. Is that crazy? I think so but, so am I.

Magdalina? Interesting name they chose there...

Magdalena showed up in the story arc with the Furies if i remember correctly.
That time GR art was done by Salvador Larroca, one of the last very talented artist to draw our blazing skull, sort of a second renaissance before Pop Mahn -_-;

Yeah, I haven't read anything dealing with the Furies yet. I just haven't reached that far in my collection. I only know about them from the various Ghost Rider pages on the net here.

I happened to catch the TV talk show Rove Live tonight, which just aired a segment between Rove McManus and Eva Mendez. After a fairly brief discussion on her fear of spider's and also her recently released film Hitch, I thought they would dicuss Ghost Rider. This was not the case. In fact they did not mention one word on the production. I was surprised to see she is now in the country however. Ole`!

Abe said:
I happened to catch the TV talk show Rove Live tonight, which just aired a segment between Rove McManus and Eva Mendez. After a fairly brief discussion on her fear of spider's and also her recently released film Hitch, I thought they would dicuss Ghost Rider. This was not the case. In fact they did not mention one word on the production. I was surprised to see she is now in the country however. Ole`!

Yeah I was hoping for just a tiny mention of Ghost Rider but alas there was nothing.

However she was freakin awesome, and funny, and as Abe said - just the fact that she's here in the country is exciting because its another step closer to a lap full of popcorn and a giant flaming skull on the screen in front of me.

It's sad she didn't mention anything at all but she probably entended on doing so. Those conversations are really at the mercy of the host. It can go in any number of directions depending on what the host wants to know.

Funny eh? She seemed very personable in Hitch, which was awesome... and she seems perfect for a go gettum reporter. Should be awesome.

rumour is that she'll be at lt lonsdale street doing a shot tomorrow (sunday), so i'm going to go down to check it out.
don't quote me on that rumour though, as i'm SO psyched for this film at the moment that everything else in my life has taken a backseat, honest! i could've just dreamt that i'd overheard it, for all i know! lol.

You and about 100 other guys will be there I would assume! All trying to get a closeup of that hottie.

rumour has it that the scene she's shooting at Little Lonsdale Street today is also going to be put into the credits at the end of the film.
nic cage is there as well, and i heard in the credits they'll be dancing "the monkey" as the credits role. and both will wear cowboy hats similar to cage's at the F1.
hahaha. man, that'd RULE!!! :)

Guys, I saw Eva in person today. She looks exactly the same real life and in the movies.. she's really pretty. But Nic looks a lot better real life.. he is very tall and handsome!! and sweet!.. I got his autograph!

Melb said:
Guys, I saw Eva in person today. She looks exactly the same real life and in the movies.. she's really pretty. But Nic looks a lot better real life.. he is very tall and handsome!! and sweet!.. I got his autograph!
eek.gif
Lucky you

Lucky you indeed... though I think you would have enjoyed it a lot more if you were male.

Originally Posted by FlameHead
Lucky you indeed... though I think you would have enjoyed it a lot more if you were male.

hahha... it's pretty obvious i'm a girl huh?? oh well.... Anyways..I'm telling you guys... I can fall in love with her anytime!

I let you guys in on a little hint... the trailers are parked at Victoria Market. Apparently... she hangs out there quite a fair bit... yesterday, she was giving out autographs.

Melb said:
Guys, I saw Eva in person today. She looks exactly the same real life and in the movies.. she's really pretty.

Did you get to smell her, or anything?!?!?

you guys are fantasizing man! I stood about 3 meters away from her. She was in a hurry so didn't get a chance to reallly talk to her.

Smell her? KenK... you may have just revealed a little too much about yourself. But... hey, whatever.

Melb, even if you didn't get to smell her, it's awesome that you saw her.

Source

She’s scorching hot. She’s smart. She’s playful. This sexy Latina is every man’s fantasy, and soon Eva Mendes will star in the upcoming “Ghost Rider,” falling in love with a man possessed by the devil. (Hey, then maybe there’s hope for the rest of us.) It’s been quite a ride for Eva. Just a few years ago she had a small role in “Training Day,” and now she commands first-tier, A-List status in movies like “Hitch.” On the set of “Ghost Rider,” I talked to Eva about going from comedy to action, working with Nicolas Cage, and what it’s like to play her character, Roxanne Simpson.

Have you been having fun?

Eva: I've been having a great time, a lot of fun... too much fun.

How familiar were you with the comic?

Eva: To be totally and completely honest, I wasn't familiar with it at all. Then after I read Mark's script, I was really into it and the idea of it. The whole selling your soul to the devil thing is very interesting to me, probably because I work in Hollywood and feel like I do it a little bit everyday. So, then I started reading some of the comic books, I started getting into it and now I'm obviously very into it.

Can you talk about your character?

Eva: I play Roxanne Simpson. We start the movie when she's sixteen years old with Johnny Blaze, and she's so in love with him. We think we're going to run away together, and then the day he's supposed to pick me up and take me away, is of course the day after he sold his soul to the devil and that kind of complicates things when you do that. so he never shows up and he leaves me just heart broken forever. I try to go on with my life, try to put my energy into my career but its never the same. So when I have an opportunity to interview him 13 years later, of course I take it and then we become more in each other's lives again and this time I want answers - like every good woman does, I wanna TALK!!!

Why would someone have the opportunity to interview Johnny Blaze?

Eva: He's doing the biggest jump he's ever done - field goal to field goal. So I happen to be in Texas, basically I've made the decision that she's been following his career all along, and so when she hears about this she makes her way back to Texas where she's originally from and she kind of makes the situation happen. So that's how she gets the opportunity, its pretty cool.

How much has the character changed from the comics?

Eva: I haven't read that much of the comic books so I don't know exactly how much has changed but the first and most obvious change is that she's a blond girl and I'm not. She's got lighter skin than I do, and I thought it was really interesting that Mark didn't really care about that - he wanted the essence of Roxanne, and she's real kick ass and she's not some skinny little frail thing - she's got a woman's body, she's tough and not some little victim. He just wanted to keep the essence of her but he took a chance which I think in today's world is so great, he's reflecting what's really out there - especially in America - I'm really happy he did that.

How difficult is it to snap right back into work after laughing so much between takes?

Eva: You know what, it depends on how heavy the scene is. Sometimes I can't play around as much in between takes and joke around because I have to be really really focused but, today was more of a... it was the ending, the fighting's over, it's more of like the culmination of everything and so today we could play around a lot. On easier days like that it's easier, but it's hard not to cause... I know you guys talked to Nic, he's so strangely funny and I love his sense of humour. Mark is like funny in a different way, so between both of them and me - I'm just obnoxious - we're just like always laughing so its a really great chemistry on-set. It's probably... no, not probably - it is the best time I've ever had filming a movie, the actual process has been the best because of the company.

Has it been very physical?

Eva: It hasn't been that physical for me, but I got to shoot a shotgun the other day which was really fun, I really liked that. Then I was on wires and they flew me, and that was fun - it was like a Six Flags ride or something. It's been a little physical but not too much.

Nic seems very unpredictable in terms of his improvisations and his delivery of lines. What's it like working opposite that?

Eva: I like that because it keeps me on my toes and there's never a dull moment. He seriously is one of the best actors of our time, you see what's on the page and then you see what he brings to it and the chances that he takes. Its just how he twists stuff and his choices are so great that he makes it so interesting, and it's great because you don't know what's going to happen. For me it's great, I love it - I've never felt thrown off or anything. He did it to me a few times today and I was like - cool.

Would you call it a fun action film or would you call it something deeper?

Eva: I'm not sure. The way it feels, it feels like a fun action film but it has a lot of heart and it has a love story which is something I loved about Spider-Man. One of the reasons I loved "Spider-Man" was that it was true to its love story, and I think this is similar in that way that it's true to its love story - it's not just about some dude with a flaming skull - it's about relationships and what you do for love and where that takes you and how one little decision can affect the rest of your life forever.

Was it a conscious decision to go from a comedy to an action film?

Eva: No, I'd like to say it was all strategically planned but I had such a great time working with Sony on "Hitch", and I really love them as a studio and they had this and I just got right back into work with them. Then, after they presented me with the script I met with Mark and it was like - it's done. It's really about him, cause I just get along with him really well and I really trust him. The character wasn't that developed in the first script and he told me, and it's a really scary thing in our business, he says trust me I'm going to give her some meat. Anytime anyone says trust me in this business you kind of go 'Ugh' and tense up. I said you know what I do trust you and if you screw me over I'm coming after you - your dog, your bunny, no I'm kidding. I just trusted him and it worked out perfectly.

Did you make any suggestions about the revisions?

Eva: I make a lot of suggestions, I'm literally the kind of girl who's like in bed and can't fall asleep and literally get an idea about the character at 3 o'clock in the morning and Mark is so great because I have to call or else I forget and I get so excited. He's like "Hello [half asleep grumble]" and I'm like "what about the scene in which she meets Ghost Rider in the alley" and so I'm full of suggestions. I'm lucky enough to be working with him, he actually listens and really does incorporate into the script.

How effects intensive is your role and what was your biggest challenge?

Eva: The biggest challenge would be to be playing the girl if you know what I mean, and being okay with that. She's a career woman and not a victim, but she's 'the girl' and he saves me. A lot of times I have to remind myself that that's okay to be. You don't have to be some screaming victim, that you don't have to sound like a powerless idiot to be that. You can still be a strong woman, and allow your man to be there for you and literally save you which is actually a beautiful surrender. At first I was like I wanna kick ass, I wanna kill the Devil, I wanna save Johnny - it's like I need to relax, this is Ghost Rider not Eva Rider so I was like okay. So once I surrendered to that, it was easy.

Could you see yourself playing a superhero?

Eva: Absolutely, that'd be a lot of fun. But a clutzy one, a different kind of one - not a slick one, one that would like whoops - kill the wrong villain.

Could you see yourself being possessed by the devil?

Eva: Strangely enough yes, yeah I can.

When does your character discover Johnny Blaze is?

Eva: I find out almost halfway through the movie, so it gives me a lot of time to really figure stuff out but I don't believe it. Obviously it's like you're going to say that, you're just not going to... she's a sceptic anyway so she's like yeah right. Then she starts seeing very strange things and she starts believing it. I can't relate to it thank god.

Did you get to ride the Hellbike?

Eva: No. Can you guys complain about that, maybe they can add something in.

Tell us about your first meeting with Peter Fonda?

Eva: He stuck his tongue out at me and swirled it around (laughter) but thankfully he was about 15 feet away so there was no damage. I said "only cause your Peter Fonda am I going to let you get away with that" and that was it, beautiful. He's great, he can get away with so much - he's Fonda, and he knows that and he plays around with that a lot so its great.

How much CGI have you had to deal with, and has it been a new challenge?

Eva: That has been new for me, but it has been cool cause I have kind of a crazy imagination. The other day I had these spirit like things flying through and over me, and I really got into it like a lot - it was really funny. I really like that stuff, but then again I don't do it too much. I don't know if I could do a whole movie on green screen, but definitely what I'm doing is the perfect amount. The imagination can takeover, but still I'm opposite real people all the time and not some green background and orange tape, so its good.

GHOST RIDER IS DUE OUT SUMMER 2006

I loved Eva in Hitch.. that's my favorite romantic comedy!

Eva came in for a look around the comic book store I work in last Sunday. Sadly I didn't pluck up the courage to say hello but I also didn't really want to bother her. I'm just glad she was able to find the store, people who live here have a hard enough time finding it. Now between our 2 stores we're had visits from MSJ, Wes Bentley and Eva. I'll still hoping to have Nic Cage "in store" but rumor is he's close to the end of his shooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"