The Expendables 4

They did it because Lionsgate pretty much demanded to make another one and their other IPs like Saw and Hunger Games because they're growing their company and branching into more things.

I am sorry, but I never thought this would do anything other than flop. So seeing the bad reviews and dismal BO doesn't shock me. I never even saw the trailer. Never played at my theater before anything I saw and I never watching it on YT. I could just tell this was doomed from the beginning.

I've generally enjoyed the Expendable films purely for the casting and mindless action, though they generally dipped in quality with each sequel. But for some reason I have had no desire at all to see this one and going by the reviews, that's probably wise.

Sly is capable of great work, his record speaks for itself and even now he's bringing out stuff like Tulsa King which was excellent. But for every decent thing he gets involved in, there's something exceptionally bad also. As an accomplished writer himself, I sometimes wonder does he not see this when reading the scripts/story.

Other than the 2nd one, the concept of The Expendables never lived up to the hype.

And now when you have stuff like John Wick, Atomic Blonde, the Fast series, Mission Impossible, eastern cinema doing non genre sci fi...what's the point of the Expendables?
I really am confused why they made this 4th one. It's been so long since the 3rd which not many liked and no one was really asking about this.

The concept itself was sound, but about 15-20 years too late. An Expendables type film with Sly, Arnie, Van Damme, Seagal, etc in their prime and when action films were still the cinema spectacle rather than superhero movies? That would have blown up the box office. I'm surprised no-one ever thought to do it back in the 90s, though I guess maybe the egos were too big to make it work.

I watched the Trailer before it came out...it just looked rather bland.
Like, not bad or anything...but after 3 Expendables i just wanted something to feel a bit different.
The concept and all is cool, but only so many times it works.

And 3 still tastes sour in my mouth so 4 would have needed to be absolutely incredible...but the trailer didnt look like that at all.
It didnt feel like this big action movie with all these action stars...and Megan Fox.

The trailer doesn't really showcase how awful the CGI (and green screen) is, it's way worse than The Flash.

The trailer doesn't really showcase how awful the CGI (and green screen) is, it's way worse than The Flash.
I have to agree. The Flash was genuinely trying with those CGI cameos; the only problem was they weren't rendered that well. Plus, that movie on its own was otherwise fine.

THIS? How was this movie $100 million? It looked cheaper than that (that plane crash shot was absolute garbage; you could SEE the fake rubble shoot up like a late 90's video game). Where did the money go? And of all the people to cast in this, why that has-bin 50 Cent and Megan Fox? Dwayne Johnson said he wants to be in this series as a villain at some point, and I'm sure other modern action stars would like to join in, so why the ones you got instead?

The whole damn thing felt so cheap despite going back to the R-rating. Millennium seems to be run by con men at this point, if what happened on Hellboy and Red Sonja is proof.

The reactions in here :rofl: Knew the hype wouldn't let me down. Just to add my cents, This was a straight bore. A lacklustre effort from everyone and that pains me as fan of Iko and Jaa. When you compare the quality between the John Wick Franchise and this. Its so apparent that the expendables comes across as parody and in my mind does everything a mindless Hollywood action film does. CGI blood ,CGI explosions, CGI muzzle flash..... Its so embarrassing to watch on a big screen. Then add in a generic score and a few quips because everyone's got to have a joke while shooting high powered weapons. Sigh..... its all so boring. Anyway the only highlight was the Uwais vs Statham fight and that it was R-rated. Why do i have a feeling Stallone will make a 5th

Edit: Its the start of a new trilogy according to IMDB lol

Last edited:
Would Stallone have another 2 films in him? He's obviously in great shape for 77, but there's no denying he's got a lot stiffer and older looking in the last 5 years.

I read somewhere recently that Stallone's role was dramatically reduced and he didnt even want to do the film. I believe it was due to studio interference or a disagreement with story or something of that nature. I enjoyed all of the films before this one. But after reading Stallone's unhappy involvement. I'll probably just skip this one or catch free in the background one evening eventually.

How do you make a boring action movie? Well the guys behind this certainly did it. It's picks up in the last 30 mins or so. But until then it's yawn inducing.

How do you waste Tony Jaa? Uwais at least got the knife fight. And I am all for adding more girls to the team, but Megan Fox? And she becomes the leader of the team in the movie? Surely the likes of Mills Jovovich, Michelle Rodriguez or Charlize Theron would be more appropriate. Hell even the likes of Katee Sachoff have done more action roles. And I don't even mind Fox as a performer.

And 50 cent? Why not get Wesley Snipes or Terry Crews back? He isn't even an action star.

Surely they should have even asked John Cena and Dave Batista or even Alan Ritcheson to be part of this? If Sly does make another one, I hope he is more hands on. And dammit get a new green screen and CGI crew as this movie has some of the worst of both going.

4/10.

Its because they hire cheap wannabe directors who dont know wtf theyre doing and dont know how to direct action, which is why they're cheap. Instead of investing the money in a Staleshki or a Gareth Evans or Hell even the people who did Daredevil and Warrior. It absolutely bugs me when these clueless producers hire these hacks who have no idea what they're doing and still think they're going to get a decent product out of it.

Its because they hire cheap wannabe directors who dont know wtf theyre doing and dont know how to direct action, which is why they're cheap. Instead of investing the money in a Staleshki or a Gareth Evans or Hell even the people who did Daredevil and Warrior. It absolutely bugs me when these clueless producers hire these hacks who have no idea what they're doing and still think they're going to get a decent product out of it.

Especially when you got the likes of Tim Miller floating around and a good few others I can't think of. It's crackers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"