The Expendables 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also the writing was probably on the wall as soon as norris was cast, he's a big conservative christian and right off the bat likely wouldn't agree to an r rated film.

You do realize that Norris has made several R rated movies in the past. Also, Stalone,Willis,and Arnold are all conservative Republicans.

These movies are for a younger demo. People seems to not realize this. These movies aren't simply for the 30 or 40 year olds out there. These movies are for the 30 and 40 year old to nostalgia trip with their kids.

And you do realize that why the blood being CGI is important right? Proof that the scenes can and actually were done without the obnoxious violence. They added it later because it wasn't intended to be there in the first place.

BINGO. You hit the nail right on the head. Heck, if you really think about it, THE EXPENDABLES was basically trying to be a G.I. JOE movie. IMO, THE EXPENDABLES was a better G.I. JOE movie then then G.I. JOE:THE RISE OF COBRA was.

Very simple to understand. It is the equivalent of going with your father to the hall of fame.

The kids and young adults who watched these 80s flicks now tell their kids about the actors and films and probably even show them the films. They are myths and heroes. What is better then being able to share that experience with them with a new film?

Alright dude, there's clearly no convincing you otherwise. Might as well agree to disagree. IMO, "The Expendables" is not a movie you take your kids to see, nor was that even remotely their intention when making said film.

It is clearly the intention of the sequel and probably the original intention of the first film until they realized how bad it was and that they needed to sell ultra violence.

Does any one else remember when 50 cent was cast and the internet got mad so he got the boot and Terry Crews got his role. Maybe that will happen again with this R rating backlash.

You do realize that Norris has made several R rated movies in the past. Also, Stalone,Willis,and Arnold are all conservative Republicans.

Keyword past. Look at his interview he says he won't do a movie that has any bad language in it.

Arnold is a republican but he's far from a conservative, i mean just look at his personal life. Stallone and willis i don't know their politcs, but the'ye not religious conservatives i know that.

Norris is being a hypocritical *****e

his movies from back in the day were rated R. i don't know wtf his deal is

I guess Norris has just changed his views on some things now compared to the movies he made back then. Even if Arnold, Stallone and Willis are also Republicans like Norris at least they don't let their views get in the way of the movies they sign on to do, whereas Norris seems to be the opposite (not to start anything political, just saying).

But as I said before, I think Norris is being scapegoated now since it seems EX2 was intended to be PG-13 by the studio from what I gather. And the PG-13 was probably a factor in Norris ultimately agreeing to do the movie.

Li and Crews in Hong Kong
1-37.jpg

It is clearly the intention of the sequel and probably the original intention of the first film until they realized how bad it was and that they needed to sell ultra violence.

If fans of the original hate the sequel but it still makes money. That should be considered a loss for Sly & co & if there is a third one. Chuck Norris will either die if he does not in the second one. Or just simply not return & it goes back to being like the first one. This will not be a win for Sly & co either way

These movies are for a younger demo. People seems to not realize this. These movies aren't simply for the 30 or 40 year olds out there. These movies are for the 30 and 40 year old to nostalgia trip with their kids.

And you do realize that why the blood being CGI is important right? Proof that the scenes can and actually were done without the obnoxious violence. They added it later because it wasn't intended to be there in the first place.

...So if its for 30 to 40 year old's to bring there kids, wouldn't that mean the main demographic is the 30 and 40's? cause other wise, their kids cant see it, or better yet, what about the middle aged people without kids? Are you saying they for the most part wont have an interest in seeing it?
Also, I'm 22 (so are most of my friends) We all went to see this movie for the nostalgia of seeing the heroes of our childhood kicking ass again. I believe the demographic is more like 20-50 year old males. Cause not only do the people in this age group KNOW who the actors in the movie are, they're also old enough to go see an R-rated movie.

Also, CGI blood is used (Not just this movie, but most movies) because using digital effects means its easier to reset the sets to do another take. You know, instead of spending 1 hour cleaning up the blood, 3 hours making sure the blood is consistent between takes, ect.

...So if its for 30 to 40 year old's to bring there kids, wouldn't that mean the main demographic is the 30 and 40's? cause other wise, their kids cant see it, or better yet, what about the middle aged people without kids? Are you saying they for the most part wont have an interest in seeing it?
Also, I'm 22 (so are most of my friends) We all went to see this movie for the nostalgia of seeing the heroes of our childhood kicking ass again. I believe the demographic is more like 20-50 year old males. Cause not only do the people in this age group KNOW who the actors in the movie are, they're also old enough to go see an R-rated movie.

Also, CGI blood is used (Not just this movie, but most movies) because using digital effects means its easier to reset the sets to do another take. You know, instead of spending 1 hour cleaning up the blood, 3 hours making sure the blood is consistent between takes, ect.

Read that sentence and you have just answered your own question. How did you become nostalgic for stuff as a kid that was intended for the 20-50 crowd? :woot:

Things grown men can share with their sons. That is what these movies have always been, but it is the kids that are the true selling point because you instantly double revenue.

CGI blood maybe easier to do but it always looks like **** to me. I hate CGI blood.

CGI blood maybe easier to do but it always looks like **** to me. I hate CGI blood.

I am with you there. It completely pulls me out of a movie every time I see it. Doesn't look like blood, let alone fake blood.

I still say watering this movie down for a rating is a dumb idea. I hope they don't.

I want them to push things not take a step back.

I'm done now ... Haha

I don't think it's a matter of watering down. I don't think the body count will change, nor will the action be softened. The man didn't like foul language so they dropped it from the script. I don't get the big deal.

Might boost the audience, I know when I was a kid I loved action moves and it was always an adventure sneaking in or talking someone older to bring you in. Then there was that once in a while cool movie that you could get into without adventuring with all your young buds on a Saturday.

I don't think it's a matter of watering down. I don't think the body count will change, nor will the action be softened. The man didn't like foul language so they dropped it from the script. I don't get the big deal.

Might boost the audience, I know when I was a kid I loved action moves and it was always an adventure sneaking in or talking someone older to bring you in. Then there was that once in a while cool movie that you could get into without adventuring with all your young buds on a Saturday.
The language and violence level in a film does matter. Would Robocop be the same movie and just as good without all the violence and foul language? The answer to the question is hell-****ing-no it wouldn't be.

Keyword past. Look at his interview he says he won't do a movie that has any bad language in it.

Arnold is a republican but he's far from a conservative, i mean just look at his personal life. Stallone and willis i don't know their politcs, but the'ye not religious conservatives i know that.

Born-again Christianity is an oddly convenient facet of religion. It's like the God's Ctrl-Z. :down:

The important part is the action, and this won't be watered down. I don't mind the language. It's not like having curse words made the first movie wonders. The best lines didn't have curse words on them.

Read that sentence and you have just answered your own question. How did you become nostalgic for stuff as a kid that was intended for the 20-50 crowd? :woot:

I found the movies myself on late night Tv, and in video stores.

And I hate CGI blood as well, not as much as CGI car chases, but still hate it. Can't deny how practical it is though *shrugs*.

I haven't seen the first one, but I was wondering just how hard of an R film was it? Was it so much so the this second film will seem all that different?

The important part is the action, and this won't be watered down. I don't mind the language. It's not like having curse words made the first movie wonders. The best lines didn't have curse words on them.
Eh, I like R rated action films and miss them. I'm tired of every action film being a light R. Aka PG:13.

Effing Chuck Norris gotta ruin these movies with a lame pg-13 rating. Sure, its cool that the pre teens can now see expendables without their parents but come on! The whole point of these movies was to be hard hitting action flicks with nods to the 80's and 90's. If the movie had to be pg-13 just to have Chuck Norris in it, then I would have just passed on him if I were Sly. Heck, I would have reached out to Jackie Chan or Jon Claude Van Damm ( is already in this movie?) or even a bad a** action female like Millia Jocvich (sp) (RE movies). So now we wouldn't really have any cool one liners and the action scenes will probably be toned down to. I know cursing doesn't make a movie cool, but in this case it definitely adds to the overall enjoyment of the movie.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the first one, but I was wondering just how hard of an R film was it? Was it so much so the this second film will seem all that different?

It wasn't a hard R at all. I don't even remember that many curse words, no nudity, and if you removed the CGI and the few bad words it would have easily been a PG-13 movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"