The Flash The Flash Costume Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well...It's probably because it is a leather and whatever the other fabric is hybrid. That is why it is slightly loose fitting so to not tear.

However, I agree I think it wouldve looked better if the upper body remained tighter then they allowed some slight bagginess in they thighs or not and then tight on the knees down.

I like the traditional but really appreciate the more practical yet stylish modern aesthetic in use by Man of Steel, Arrow, and now Flash.

UL5Q9sd.jpg

Horrible suit. It's like they saw the Daredevil movie and thought leather was instantly cool.

I'm more excited about what Hollywood can do with its money and resources on a Flash suit

This appropriately looks like its on a TV budget

I think the costume looks fantastic. I don't mind the muted red but I wish they would have went with a white colour on the logo instead of red, but that's a minor nitpick. Now I'm dying to see how they depict his powers on-screen.

I liked the costume. Like others have said, the logo would work better using white (the red doesn't really match the rest of the suit or anything else), but it's worth noting that the set pictures will look off because they don't have proper proceessing filters yet. I'm sure in the show it will look closer to the promo shots.

Either way, it will be interesting to see it in action.

OK after seeing the full picture vs the promo shot........Flash looks like his speed is the result of the motorcycle he must be riding.
When will designers ever learn there are some superhero costumes that are already perfect!

Hey! Welcome back Kevin!

Thank you thank you...good to be back. :D

Your uncompromising ways can be both admirable and infuriating! :yay:

Funny, that's exactly the two feelings I have on the new show!

tumblr_mfpyutI6p51rsm741o1_250.gif

I'm with you with most of the issues with the costume. Hopefully this will be a Mk. 1. I already have a bit of a speculation that this costume will be the costume Star Labs will give Barry at the start of the show. Barry and Star Labs will part ways further down the road and we will get a sleeker, more basic version.

I think the word I would give this design would be "over thought". That's the beauty of the Flash costume is in its "simplicity". Even the New 52 suit does not stray away that much from the original design because of the beauty in its simplicity. This is just too busy! Apologies to Colleen Atwood. I know she was just doing her job as per instructions received from the producers and creators. God knows I wouldn't know how to incorporate that solid looking helmet with fabric. But I digress, if you can reverse engineer Spider-Man's costume to The Flash's then you got it.

I would probably give it a 5 out of 10. But A for effort. A lot of people seem to like it.

Here are my nitpicks. The cowl is almost perfect. The lines running across the top of the "helmet" end between the eyes. Almost as if it makes for a scowling face. Why couldn't they end over the eye holes?

Earwings and not lightning bolts... White background against lightning chest logo... symmetrical lightning on the chest logo...

Everything is just too busy. Again "over thought".

God I hope it evolves!

Yeah, I agree with pretty much all of that. the Flash suit on the whole is a rarity in the creative sense because it's already right in the middle where if you take something away from it, it becomes too simplified, and if you add something to it it becomes too busy/complicated, it really is a perfect design the way it is and plenty cool on its own. I agree - way, way, way over thought (yet somehow under thought at the same time), too contrived.

I definitely see inspiration from the Cap suit in there somewhat which is kind of disappointing.... I wasn't the biggest fan of his Avengers suit, they had better designs in the concept art I felt they should've went with. Eh well.

Last edited:
I like the traditional but really appreciate the more practical yet stylish modern aesthetic in use by Man of Steel, Arrow, and now Flash.

UL5Q9sd.jpg

Sorry dude but the suit on the new Gustin TV show and even Arrow look nothing like the MOS equivalent.

They should have just went all the way with the material they used for his arms and torso, and ditched the leather. Do that, and make it more form fitting without all the giant wrinkles, and it would be almost perfect.

Can someone talented manip this? Adding the traditional belt and lightning trims on the gloves. But with the CW Flash's costume textures and lightning lines on the arms, legs and waist.

MFLgYrc.jpg

I give the suit a 5.5, maybe a 6 out of 10.

They CW'd him a good bit, here's what needs fixed:

Okay, I feel the need to speak up, but your posts on this matter have a very, very unstated presumption: that differences from the comic version are *mistakes* that need to be *fixed*. A difference is just that: a difference. Its only a problem if its actually *problematic*: doesn't look good at all, has practical physical problems, or detracts from efforts to create a distinct image. "Is not identical to the comic" is not a problem, anymore than the various Iron Man armors not looking like their comic versions are "problems".

So basically, if you want to talk about desirable changes, please, put some thought into justifying them. *Why* would a white background emblem be better? *Why* would lightning shaped piping on the arms and legs be better?

One gripe I have that I haven't seen anyone else mention is the cut of the cowl's mouth opening. IMO it is too wide and goes too far back to almost his hairline. In one promo pic I saw you could actually see his hair by his ears. They should've made it smaller and more like his comics suit or like the old tv show suit in that it doesn't go way up on his cheeks, but keeps the comic book outline.

Yeah, that is weird that more superhero suits can't just be translated to screen like Spidey's. I guess it's just a testament to how timeless his suit is or a testament that that some people really don't get why superheroes are timeless idk.

However, I think the Flash's suit for CW isn't that bad...I just needs some minor adjustments really.

I would say there's a simple answer: because a whole heck of a lot of superhero costumes would look incredibly silly in a direct adaptation. Spider-man gets a near-exact adaptation both because of iconic value, and because for him, a spandex body suit really does work without looking too silly.

I would say there's a simple answer: because a whole heck of a lot of superhero costumes would look incredibly silly in a direct adaptation. Spider-man gets a near-exact adaptation both because of iconic value, and because for him, a spandex body suit really does work without looking too silly.

You know partly agree and disagree with you. I think a lot of superhero costumes would look cool on screen if adapted properly. There is always a way to adapt something on screen while not being 100%, but remaining true to certain elements.

Spider-man's suit for example is basically a near-exact adaptation as you said; however, they used texturing, different colors in lighting, in some cases muscle padding, and more to make the suit look like the comic counterpart, but still have a great look on screen. It's not as if they just took a shiny spandex suit from the halloween store or the 70s spiderman show. They beefed it up to work.

A lot of superhero suits can be "beefed" up to work on screen. Don't get me wrong I don't want to see Wolverine's bright yellow and baby blue suit on screen. However. A dark yellow or gold accent with a very dark blue or his original suit of dark gold/yellow and a brown wouldn't look all that bad if done right.

Okay, I feel the need to speak up, but your posts on this matter have a very, very unstated presumption: that differences from the comic version are *mistakes* that need to be *fixed*. A difference is just that: a difference. Its only a problem if its actually *problematic*: doesn't look good at all, has practical physical problems, or detracts from efforts to create a distinct image. "Is not identical to the comic" is not a problem, anymore than the various Iron Man armors not looking like their comic versions are "problems".

So basically, if you want to talk about desirable changes, please, put some thought into justifying them. *Why* would a white background emblem be better? *Why* would lightning shaped piping on the arms and legs be better?

My reasons for saying it needs changed ISN'T because "it's just not how it looks in the comics and that's how everything needs look no matter what, no matter how bad the comic book costume design", I'm saying it needs to be changed because the comic book suit is very easily and clearly a better design.

The white meshes with the suit better than having two shades of red, putting the real color red in the center of his chest is almost a slap in the face as if to say "Yeah, we know what color The Flash's shade of red is supposed to be, in fact we stuck it in the middle of his chest just to show you we know, but we're going to give you DareDevil burgundy 'leather' 'red' anyway because it's what WE WANT, we, the superior costume designers who usurp our opinions over the comic book costumes simply because we're costume designers and they're just comic books - glorified coloring books - even though it makes about equally as little sense, OUR version is more "realistic" for no other reason than we designed it because we're costume designers from Hollywood". And that goes DOUBLE for making the bottom part of The Flash logo shorter than the top so it's unsymmetric.

The lightning trim on the forearms and waist looks sleek and cool and streamlined and has a very modernized simple yet complex look to it, flawless in its seamlessness and design, the complete opposite of what this new design is.

The ear pieces as they are in the comics look unique and cool, what he has in the show looks like they just half assedly tacked his chest symbol to the aides of his head, missing the point of the ear pieces entirely (they're NOT just 3D versions of his logo stuck to the sides of his head).

Last edited:
I would say there's a simple answer: because a whole heck of a lot of superhero costumes would look incredibly silly in a direct adaptation.

True, but The Flash isn't one of them, his costume design is easily one of the best designed suits in all of comics, top 5 for sure, red and gold with lightning trim, it's very hard to beat that. It's just so superhero-y and perfect.

Can someone talented manip this? Adding the traditional belt and lightning trims on the gloves. But with the CW Flash's costume textures and lightning lines on the arms, legs and waist.

MFLgYrc.jpg

Well I was relieved there were no goggles, the new Gustin suit definitely has the superior cowl, but give this suit the right lightning trim and cowl/ear pieces (no goggles) and you've got the right idea. The lightning trim on the boots like on the gloves is a great if not perfect alternative for not using the gold boots if that's what they want, that's the route the boots should take then if they're not gold.

OK after seeing the full picture vs the promo shot........Flash looks like his speed is the result of the motorcycle he must be riding.
When will designers ever learn there are some superhero costumes that are already perfect!

:hehe:

That suit must make a great leather sound when Flash is running at super-speed. Leather suits are great to run btw.

I don’t get why they wouldn’t use something like what speed-skaters wear. Something that offers as little wind resistance as possible and something that would immediately make sense when you see it. The Flash is one of the few heroes that it makes sense that he’s wearing a skin-tight suit. If you look at a speed-skater, you know what they’re wearing is made for speed. You should think that when you look at The Flash.

they really messed this suit up... :/
i think i hate it more now than i did yesterday
It looks cheap!!!!

One gripe I have that I haven't seen anyone else mention is the cut of the cowl's mouth opening. IMO it is too wide and goes too far back to almost his hairline.

Yeah, it's a little odd from the side.

I don't like it; it needs more work.

The suit is Ok. Not fantastic though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"