The Full List of "Crimes" Committed by Fox's Tom Rothman - Part 1

Yikes. That Rothman filmography is brutal. I can maybe pick out 10 to 12 films that I enjoyed.

Are you guys seriously going to pin the blame of how star wars prequels turned out on Tom Rothman? Seriously?

That is Lucas 100%. Fox ONLY distributed the movies worldwide for a good paycheck per movie. And I believe they have the home video rights for the movies. Maybe not now after Disney bought star wars.

The Prequels were completely independent from Fox's control. The most expensive indie (not Indy) movies ever made!

The Prequels were completely independent from Fox's control. The most expensive indie (not Indy) movies ever made!

Dude...Lucas owned the rights and made the movies his way. Tom rothman has nothing to do with how those movies turned out.

But yeah, under him, fox made many bad movies. I haven't seen many of the movies mentioned in the list. But of all the ones I have, I enjoyed The Day After Tomorrow and I Robot.

I think he was still around when Xmen FC and Rise of the planet of the apes came out, so I guess he ended his tenure with 2 good reboots\prequels

Are you guys seriously going to pin the blame of how star wars prequels turned out on Tom Rothman? Seriously?

That is Lucas 100%. Fox ONLY distributed the movies worldwide for a good paycheck per movie. And I believe they have the home video rights for the movies. Maybe not now after Disney bought star wars.
They own the distribution rights to A New Hope in perpetuity (forever) and the distribution rights for the other 5 expire in May of 2020.

This means that Disney is going to reach a bit of a blockade when dealing with a future box set release.

Dude...Lucas owned the rights and made the movies his way. Tom rothman has nothing to do with how those movies turned out.

But yeah, under him, fox made many bad movies. I haven't seen many of the movies mentioned in the list. But of all the ones I have, I enjoyed The Day After Tomorrow and I Robot.

I think he was still around when Xmen FC and Rise of the planet of the apes came out, so I guess he ended his tenure with 2 good reboots\prequels

The first paragraph confused me since i just stated in my original statement that LUCAS HAD COMPLETE CONTROL, not Fox.

That is true. Rothman played a big part on both FC and Apes before he left the company.

Vaughn even loved working with Rothman and defended him when he was promoting FC...

http://www.superherohype.com/features/167401-exclusive-interview-with-x-men-first-class-director-matthew-vaughn

SHH: Did you feel that you guys got a lot more leeway from Fox this time around or did Bryan act as an interim so you didn't have to deal with them so much?
Vaughn: I have to say, Fox were the best partners you could imagine and I speak my mind, and if they had screwed me around, I would be shouting it from the rooftops right now. It was such a creatively-rewarding experience working with them and they were so supportive of everything. We had nine weeks of post basically to finish this movie from when we finally wrapped and I was like, "We're never going to do this," and they just rallied around me, gave me every tool imaginable, and just kept me feeling like we could do it. (Tom) Rothman and Emma Watts were true allies. They gave me brilliant notes and never tried to interfere, just tried to make the film better. I have no idea why Tom has the reputation he has now, because I would let the guy be my ally on any film I made whether he was a head of the studio or not.

SHH: That's great to hear.
Vaughn: And I really mean that. I actually think Mr. Rothman's worked with too many bad directors that he's had to tell them that their work is bad and try and save their movie even though they had too big of an ego to listen to someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

Vaughn was coming in when Rothman was starting to ease up due to mounting pressure on his reputation.

Even Edgar Wright is making his next film at Tri-Star with Rothman, which is really ironic, given that he left Marvel because of creative differences he had with Fiege.

Vaughn was coming in when Rothman was starting to ease up due to mounting pressure on his reputation.

I guess it's like how the Weinsteins will always have Tarantino and David O Russsell to back them up, while they've screwed around with other directors like Bong Joon Ho who didn't want to deal with their BS.

Yes, his lineup of films at TriStar looks really good.

To be very frank, there are a lot of movies on that list that I could care less if they are good or not. The only ones which I would say he royally messed up by getting flat out bad directors OR totally unsuitable for the material are fantastic four, alien vs predator, max Payne....basically he was getting the cbm\video game movies wrong.

Thankfully, he realized and changed his ways during the end of his tenure. Here is hoping he stays that way at Sony.

Last edited:
Yes, his lineup of films at TriStar looks really good.

To be very frank, there are a lot of movies on that list that I could care less if they are good or not. The only ones which I would say he royally messed up by getting flat out bad directors OR totally unsuitable for the material are fantastic four, alien vs predator, max Payne....basically he was getting the cbm\video game movies wrong.

Thankfully, he realized and changed his ways during the end of his tenure. Here is hoping he stays that way at Sony.

Live Free or Die Hard is another.
That's one of the ones that hurts the most.

I think it really comes down to:

X-Men: The Last Stand
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Alien vs. Predator
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem
Max Payne
Live Free or Die Hard
Dragonball: Evolution
Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Daredevil
Elektra
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

^ Those are the ones that hurt the most. :csad:

Really, everything else in Rothman's career is typical Hollywood crap that EVERY studio puts out every year, so I can't fault him for that.

Alien vs. Predator
Max Payne
Live Free or Die Hard
Fantastic Four
Daredevil
Elektra

Really, everything else in Rothman's career is typical Hollywood crap that EVERY studio puts out every year, so I can't fault him for that.

I like Die Hard 4. Sure it has some problems, but as an action movie I like it. I am not too fond of RT ratings, but even there it has a fresh score. It comes down to what you wanted or were expecting. I certainly didn't expect much, but was entertained.

Xmen3 had its moments but it was a disappointing movie on many levels.

Rest of the movies you mentioned are not worth talking about.

Alien vs. Predator
Max Payne
Live Free or Die Hard
Fantastic Four
Daredevil
Elektra

I'm still baffled by why would he neuter a Die Hard movie the way he did knowing full well the film series was never PG-13 when it was created.

LOEG still pisses me off not only at Rothman but Norrington as well for ballsing it all up (just as Lawrence, Shuler-Donner and Goldsman have done with Constantine around the time period). I'm not even sure if I can curse him for *****ing Norrington out into early retirement or thank him since the t film succeeded in two things: Putting Sean Connery into retirement and pissing off Alan Moore to where he's long since want 0 to do with Hollywood nor wanting his name attached to whatever film version of his works they'd do next.

I'm still baffled by why would he neuter a Die Hard movie the way he did knowing full well the film series was never PG-13 when it was created.

y5GKqwU.gif

...which when you think about doesn't make the most sense since Die Hard With a Vengeance was the highest grossing film in 1995 worldwide and #2 domestic. But hey, hindsight is 20/20.

y5GKqwU.gif

...which when you think about doesn't make the most sense since Die Hard With a Vengeance was the highest grossing film in 1995 worldwide and #2 domestic. But hey, hindsight is 20/20.

And Rothman's is 0/0! It's like trying to morph Fritz the Cat into a PG movie. The logic doesn't compute.

Rothman was also why there was no spin off X-Men films other than Wolverine at Fox.

Rothman managed to tick off a number of top directors and stars with his micromanaging over the years. The reason why Sony have probably gone with him is because he maintains tight control over expenses which Sony need because they have been losing money.

Neill Blomkamp still has beef with Rothman

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/t...ties-at-sony-cut-costs-make-peace-1201441019/

Rothman was also why there was no spin off X-Men films other than Wolverine at Fox.

Rothman managed to tick off a number of top directors and stars with his micromanaging over the years. The reason why Sony have probably gone with him is because he maintains tight control over expenses which Sony need because they have been losing money.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/t...ties-at-sony-cut-costs-make-peace-1201441019/

What a difference five and a bit years make. From only Wolverine to Deadpool and a X-Force movie Liefeld brags about happening

Yeah, the "X-Men Origins" series was something I was actually REALLY interested in, specifically because it would give several characters a chance to shine instead of stuffing them all into one movie together. X-Men Origins: Magneto would've been so damn cool. In fact, a whole bunch of them could've been amazing.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (We got this)
X-Men Origins: Magneto (First Class basically gave us this)
X-Men Origins: Deadpool (We are more-or-less getting this next year)
X-Men Origins: Gambit (We are more-or-less getting this next year)
X-Men Origins: Cyclops (REALLY wanted this)
X-Men Origins: Storm (REALLY wanted this)

Oh well - could've been a really cool series in between the main team-up films.

Tainted potential. Of course, it didn't help that X-Men Origins: Wolverine sucks complete ass and managed to complete botch continuity. Maybe Rothman sabotaging that franchise was a blessing in disguise. I mean, look at the franchise now. It hasn't been this good since 2003.

:o

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"