Edge of Tomorrow - Part 1

http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/war...panese-novel-all-you-need-is-kill/#more-30679

Warners Makes 7-Figure Spec Deal For Japanese Novel 'All You Need Is Kill'

EXCLUSIVE: In a deal that might get writers and their reps to reconsider the value of writing on spec, Warner Bros paid low-seven figures against a purchase price near $3 million for a Dante Harper-scripted adaptation of All You Need Is Kill, a Japanese novel by Hiroshi Sakurazaka. Warners execs Jon Berg and production president Greg Silverman moved preemptively for the property and made a deal late Friday that has an aggressive progress to production clause that will likely get the film before the cameras within 12 months.

The book was published originally in Japan by Shueisha and its English language translation was published by VIZ Media. Jason Hoffs, the former DreamWorks exec who is head of production at VIZ Media, got the project to 3 Arts’ Erwin Stoff and Tom Lassally. They optioned the book last fall and involved the writer. Harper and his reps at CAA and Management 360 decided he should do it on spec, instead of pitching it. Pitching is the most common tactic in this sluggish material market, because writers and producers only go forward if studios bite. Because there is little more than an idea at that point, deals are usually low six-figures, unless there is an attachment by a big star or director. Some pitches don't sell at all, because studios have cut back so drastically on development deals or don't have money to spend.

By putting in the work and writing several drafts he honed with the producers, Harper--who most recently wrote the Paramount project Black Hole for Plan B and David Fincher to produce--bypassed the pitch morass, made his first seven-figure payday, and has likely improved his six-figure quote by presenting Warners with a movie that can be made quickly. Harper has several other scripts percolating including Dreamland, a drama he hopes to direct about domestic terrorist Timothy McVeigh, and The Immortalist for director Bennett Miller, the latter for Paramount. He also wrote with Rupert Sanders The Wild Geese, the latter of which was done for Warners' Silverman, who made the new deal.

The storyline puts a Groundhog Day plot device into a futuristic alien invasion storyline. A raw recruit, pressed into battle against an alien species, gets killed in action. But he is reborn each day to suffer the same fate. Eventually, he notices that he is becoming a better warrior and that other circumstances are changing, which might be the key to altering the outcome.

The film will be produced by Stoff, Lassally and Hoffs, with Hidemi Fukuhara executive producer.

Sounds like an interesting movie. If it is true that the movie will be made within the next 12 months , i think the earliest we'll see this will be in 2012

Movie is getting helped by WOM and chugging along to $100M domestic. So in the end its gonna be around $350-400M WW which is respectable enough considering how it started out.

Honestly only reason I even went today was because of WOM, it kicked my interest enough that I went and saw a random movie (which I haven't done in who knows how long). Glad it's gaining some traction after the fact now.

^Well thats good, hopefully more people follow your example.

We'll see how it fares in Japan. Maleficent is coming out the day after in Japan. The Japanese love Tom and the novel is Japanese. Add that in with good WOM and the film being a big effects heavy action film...Japan might help its run a lot.

http://otlnews.wordpress.com/2014/06/23/edge-of-tomorrow-review/

Just saw the movie, I thought it was fun but could have been handled a bit better. It struggled (imo) due to the way they implemented the reset stuff. Made character development outside of Cruise non existent. Check out my review if ur interested :D

With Cruise's character we got plenty of development and in the case of Rita, the Cruise's character and the audience gradually found out more about her which added depth in a similar way.

I think it handled it just fine.

With Cruise's character we got plenty of development and in the case of Rita, the Cruise's character and the audience gradually found out more about her which added depth in a similar way.

Ya I don't see how that was a problem at all and was handled perfectly fine. There are only two characters in the movie that really matter and both of those characters have plenty of good character development.

I don't need to see character development in 'Random Soldier #9'

None of the Marines in Aliens got development. Apart from arguably Hicks.

But even then, through the course of the movie J-Squad's attitude towards Cage changes. In the end they are all willing to go on a suicide mission with him as their leader.

None of the Marines in Aliens got development. Apart from arguably Hicks.

But even then, through the course of the movie J-Squad's attitude towards Cage changes. In the end they are all willing to go on a suicide mission with him as their leader.

Actually they went with Blunt & not Cruise as Cruise even said "Don't follow me. Follow her"

Actually they went with Blunt & not Cruise as Cruise even said "Don't follow me. Follow her"

Which I think was smart on the writer's part. Cage may have become a leader in our eyes but to everyone else, he's still a nobody. Rita was a legend because of Verdun so it's easily believable they would trust her.

Agreed, plus, Rita actually developed as well, for most of the movie she was icy, cagey and had a will of stone. But towards the end you got to see some of the vulnerabilities come through in the character, culminating in the kiss she gave to Cage before they both go to their death.

I thought the development of both characters was great.

Really enjoyed this one. It is up there with CA:TWS for me, DoFP not far behind for best summer movie so far.

I'm surprised by the light comedy. Cruise does subtle comedy very well. I read that he would make different noise based on the death situation. :woot:

Im in love with this movie...

Any other films that have time-loop stories? Similar to this and Groundhog Day

Domestic: $84,155,000 26.4%
+ Foreign: $234,500,000 73.6%
= Worldwide: $318,655,000

Aside from a few gains here and there, Japan will pretty much dictate how much it grosses now. I wonder if it could still hit 100 million domestically.

Is Edge of Tom called 'All You Need is Kill' in Japan'?

^ Think that's just what the novel it's based off of is titled.

Really, really enjoyed this movie. Especially because it wasn't hyped at all for me. I'd given up on summer movies right after X-Men since I didn't care much about Maleficent or whichever (except for 22 Jump St that movie was excellent).

Most of the movie goer girls on my FB newsfeed are obsessed with the portrayal of Rita.

Domestic: $84,155,000 26.4%
+ Foreign: $234,500,000 73.6%
= Worldwide: $318,655,000

Aside from a few gains here and there, Japan will pretty much dictate how much it grosses now. I wonder if it could still hit 100 million domestically.

Probably low to mid 90s.

Yeah, it's not gonna make it to $100M domestic. Oh well, at least it's doing well elsewhere.

Yeah, it's not gonna make it to $100M domestic. Oh well, at least it's doing well elsewhere.

Here's what's baffling to me: People keep referring to Tom Cruise as "the last movie star" but his movies don't actually make that much money.

I think they mean he's bigger than life and stars in big budget spectacles. One could argue Brad Pitt or George Clooney are stars but they don't do blockbuster movies on a regular basis.

I think the era of the movie star is dying. With the rise Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic, more and more audiences domestically are realizing no longer have to rely on starpower as much as they used to in order to gauge whether a movie will be worth their time. Now, there are some exception as not every RT Fresh or Good rating on Metacritic will be successful reviews wise (like Edge of Tomorrow), but for the most part people are relying on RT and Metacritic more to gauge whether a movie will be worth their time.

I think the era of the movie star is dying. With the rise Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic, more and more audiences domestically are realizing no longer have to rely on starpower as much as they used to in order to gauge whether a movie will be worth their time. Now, there are some exception as not every RT Fresh or Good rating on Metacritic will be successful reviews wise (like Edge of Tomorrow), but for the most part people are relying on RT and Metacritic more to gauge whether a movie will be worth their time.

That's even more disturbing.

Yep. It leads more to a herd mentality when it comes to some movies, though I think audience and user ratings on these sites also make things better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"