The Giver

Exactly. Why didn't they? I think it's just studio level thinking that a film with kids can't be successful. I seriously can't wait until Enders comes out and hopefully proves that wrong.

seems like they wanted more of a heart throb kid they cast was from aussie soap home and away

tye is a very good actor he actually reminds me of river phoenix

The guy they cast is that, BUT as said that's why I'm really scared about the route they're going in. It seems more studio driven than book driven. Which after all these years is a disappointment especially given they have the perfect Giver.

I'm also okay with a heart thob in the role, just not one this old. Look at the 90s- Jonathan Brandis, I think that's his last name, stands out or a young Leo (Wasn't around back then so unsure if he was too back then). The kid heartthrob for the kids. Here it's also to make it a teen drama so young adult heart throb. They could have gone the Brandis route.

Last edited:
Exactly. Why didn't they? I think it's just studio level thinking that a film with kids can't be successful. I seriously can't wait until Enders comes out and hopefully proves that wrong.

You would think that one of the highest grossing film franchises in history would be proof enough.

l_241527_fc33a736.jpg

My main problem with them aging up the role is that the fact that Jonas was just hitting puberty was a pretty important aspect of the story.

Guessing Harry Potter, exactly.

And yeah it was very crucial which is what's worrying me that whoever's behind it doesn't get the story at all. worst yet, we have the perfect Giver. So it'll just miss the mark due to Jonas' new aspect.

Well see that's the goofy thing, its Bridges who has been trying to get this film made for so long. He bought the rights himself if I do recall.

Yeah. It just comes right out of the blue, a day ago they were looking at actors around the rigt age and now suddenly they're looking at a guy that's 24.

^exactly when you have tye sheridan from MUD and tree of life aswell as kodi smit-mcphee on the short list and closer to age range of lead character and a home and away actor who is like 6'2 and 24 years old gets the role then something is up

Meryl Streep Joins The Giver

With production on the film set to begin in South Africa in October, director Phillip Noyce'sThe Giver has added Meryl Streep to its cast. Deadline reports that she'll join Jeff Bridges and Brenton Thwaites in the big screen adaptation of Lois Lowry's 1993 young adult sci-fi novel.

Set in a distant future, the book tells of a society in which the entire range of human emotion has been eradicated by removing any trace of history. Only one individual in the society -- called "the Giver" -- is tasked with remembering the past in case it becomes necessary to make use of it. A twelve-year-old boy, Jonas, is tasked to become the next Giver in line and has his whole world thrown into question when he begins tutelage with the previous, elderly Giver.

Streep, who will play the society's chief elder, recently starred in Hope Springs and can be seen coming up in John Wells' August: Osage County, Tommy Lee Jones' The Homesman and Rob Marshall's Into the Woods.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=107459

^exactly when you have tye sheridan from MUD and tree of life aswell as kodi smit-mcphee on the short list and closer to age range of lead character and a home and away actor who is like 6'2 and 24 years old gets the role then something is up

Maybe he was just better and had better chemistry with Bridges

I would imagine they'll just
place this in a world where they all wear the same thing, and make "color" part of the concept of choice.

It will be interesting how they handle the discovery of
music. Will there be a score?
Probably will be minimalistic score use prior to that moment, but still, you have to remember the difference between diegetic and non-diegetic music (what the characters can/can't hear), which kind of makes this a non-issue. The sparse use of music before that moment will certainly help accentuate that moment, but you obviously don't want to compromise the entire beginning of the film just for one moment.

Maybe he was just better and had better chemistry with Bridges

Then find a different kid, they shouldn't be looking at guys in their 20s at all. It tarnishes what the entire book was about just to hire a hot actor - and yeah, the guy they hired is definitely there in large part because of the way he looks and they are - hoping to bring that crowd in. It doesn't show keeping the essence of the book, it shows trying to cash in.

Last edited:
You mean te woman who is fixing modern music.

Long live the Queen! Long live Swift! :0

This cast is odd, Streep and Bridges are well legends basically but Holmes and Swift? I like Swift's music but her acting was terrible last time I checked and Holmes is mediocre on a good day.

Haha, I've always based the beard on the book cover, which was massive.

I really don't know what to make of this. Swift? Really?

I'm curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"