The Giver

I wasn't aware I merely commented on what it looked like to me.

Aw, no, I didn't mean it to come off like that, I'm sorry dude. I was just speaking in general, because I admit that it did come off a bit Hunger Gamey to me as well. Sorry for the miscommunication!

Wait, it IS in black and white?

(At least, at first?)

Awesome.

The trailer does make the film more appealing.

It's definitely an effective teaser. The first time I saw it, I was intrigued.

Unlike the first teaser this one at least seems to bear some resemblance to the book (yay for black-and-white), but ugh to giving away the father's secret.

Also aren't Alexander Skarsgard and Katie Holmes a little young to have grown children?

Jeff Bridges looks good.

http://collider.com/brenton-thwaites-the-signal-the-giver-interview/

What are some of the cool projects you have coming up next that you’re excited for audiences to see?

THWAITES: Well, there are a bunch of films coming out at the end of the year. I’m really excited to see how The Giver turns out which is directed by Phillip Noyce and will be released in August. In The Giver, I play a character called Jonas who is a member of this community called Changeless. In this community, everyone is kept at bay emotionally and physically. They receive an injection every morning to control them from feeling things like love and pain and all natural emotions. My character, upon graduation, is chosen to receive all of the memory of the history of the world in order to be a savior in case things in the community get out of hand. I’m assigned to a character called The Giver who is played by Jeff Bridges and he gives me these memories through a series of classes. Eventually, through these memories, I learn true emotion and how it feels to see these painful things and feel love. And so, I learn that we’re living a false life and I have to escape in order to restore harmony. I’m also really excited to see how Son of a Gun turns out. It’s a story about two people who meet in jail, my character, JR, and Ewan McGregor’s character, Brendan. I also did a film called Ride with Helen Hunt which was super fun in Venice Beach, California, and I’m so excited to see how that turns out. (Hunt wrote and directed.) In terms of next, I honestly don’t know. I’ve read some great scripts. There’s some great material to tell you the truth, so hopefully I’ll get back into doing something crazy and weird.

I remember the book boring the crap out of me when I was a kid, but the trailer doesn't look too bad, so hopefully this will turn out alright.

:shrug:

I went to a screening tonight, with a viewing of the red carpet arrivals. It broke my heart to learn of robin Williams death from Bridges during his interview, through tears.

I haven't read book 'The Giver' so I can't compare the two. I thought the young cast did a good job and I did get a little choked up close to the conclusion.

Saw this last night at the Premiere.

Meh...

It missed the mark. It's not bad but it's not good either. The film relies on old tropes we know SO well and doesn't try to do anything interesting with it. Streep and Bridges are O.K. but definitely not doing anything exciting, new or particularly interesting.

The kids are kids, aside from being very beautiful they could be traded out for any other kid actors their age.

Cinematography is nice at some parts, the Black and White and eventual color and how it mirrors the state of the society at the time is...good but not overly impressive.

This is one for the die hard fans, it'll be nice to see the book as a film but this won't be something people are talking about a year from now.

Here are some photos from the premiere

Attachments

• photo 1 (4).jpg
    photo 1 (4).jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo 3 (4).jpg
    photo 3 (4).jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo 4 (4).jpg
    photo 4 (4).jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 2
Some more