The Giver

Oh my goodness, I want to see this movie since I read this book in my high school. I'm waiting for the film to be materialized and now, here it comes, I definitely will watch it when I have a time.

It looks decent. I was hoping they'd go full on black and white until he sees color

I thought the trailer was sorta dull, not horrible but nothing that excites you either.

It truthfully looks nothing like I imagined when I read the cook.

It looks decent. I was hoping they'd go full on black and white until he sees color

That was something I was very much hoping for, would of added a nice element to it as it progressed.

This isn't a trailer for the book I read...

:huh:

The weird thing is that, when i read the book as a kid, even though it was dytopian, I imagined that was dystopian in the vein of 1984. A lot of concrete.

Here, it's straight up trying to bank on that Hunger Games/Divergent crowd.

Even the way the police take out their batons with that 'cool thrust' is straight from Hunger Games. Don't get me started on those ships.

I haven't read the book but I read somewhere that the boy was supposed to be 11 or 12. It's obvious they aged him up to 16 or 17 because they are trying to reach a certain demographic with the film. Further more the aesthetics look awfully familar as Octoberist just pointed out. I'm not close enough to the material to find the situation to be anything but humorous.

If it's a best selling classic, why not follow the book as closely as possible and differentiate your film from others by having a non teen lead?

in fact, i think the technology was very low tech in the book. So i was right, it's more like concrete buildings and that sort of oppression that 1984 had.

Very low tech. Very Logan's Run was it not

When I watched the trailer, that's not what I imagined when reading the book. I'm disappointed with the trailer. It should be in entire black and white until the concept of color would reveal when Jonas senses some emotion.

Some people played with the color...

[YT]xLaGy-D_pM4[/YT]

[YT]FvQhxlLRBPk[/YT]

I loved the book when I was a kid, and I had always imagined a movie version featuring a lot of black-and-white (for obvious reasons, based on the premise). I don't remember flying ships or anything so overtly sci-fi like that either. Could be wrong, though, as it's been a loooong time. Still, needless to say...this doesn't resemble the book I remember at all, lol. Not that it looks bad or anything, I'm just not sure what to make of it yet.

Did...did they basically reused The Host's production on this? That's all what I got out from the trailer.

I haven't read the book but I read somewhere that the boy was supposed to be 11 or 12. It's obvious they aged him up to 16 or 17 because they are trying to reach a certain demographic with the film. Further more the aesthetics look awfully familar as Octoberist just pointed out. I'm not close enough to the material to find the situation to be anything but humorous.

If it's a best selling classic, why not follow the book as closely as possible and differentiate your film from others by having a non teen lead?

The fact that he's 12, right at the onset of puberty, is also fairly important to the story and particularly to its themes. Also, aging up the character takes away some of what made the society in the book so interesting, as 12 was when your adult role was assigned.

Ah the latest attempt to turn a young adult novel into a movie (franchise?), they bagged Meryl Streep and Jeff Bridges at least.

Bridges himself is responsible for getting the film made. He tried for years. When he originally bought the rights, his intention was for his father to play The Giver.

As much as he loved the book, its a shame to see the film miss a lot of the point of it right out of the gate.

The fact that he's 12, right at the onset of puberty, is also fairly important to the story and particularly to its themes. Also, aging up the character takes away some of what made the society in the book so interesting, as 12 was when your adult role was assigned.
I really should read the book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"