The Greatest Criminal Mind of Our Time: Nicholas Hoult IS Lex Luthor

If I didn't already highly rate him as an actor, I don't know if I'd be sold. It's not the kind of look/age range for Lex I'd have chosen personally.

But because I do rate him highly, I just feel really open to seeing what he does with it.

I llikewhat he said about his prep process and how each thing informs his approach, even the stuff that doesn't tangibly translate.

Listened to the Hoult interview.

He said he personally reached out to Rosey because he grew up watching Smallville and wanted to do his podcast. He told him he thought his Lex was the best one. It was a nice moment.

Interesting conversation. Not much Superman talk understandably but Hoult said he'll come back after the film is released and they can go deeper.

I pretty much already know, ( i hope ) but I wanna hear Gunn say that "this Lex is very serious and as intelligent as Tony Stark, but without the quirks.
That's not giving anything away. If anything, it would relieve us.

Listened to the Hoult interview.

He said he personally reached out to Rosey because he grew up watching Smallville and wanted to do his podcast. He told him he thought his Lex was the best one. It was a nice moment.

Interesting conversation. Not much Superman talk understandably but Hoult said he'll come back after the film is released and they can go deeper.
I didn't take much from that conversation other than someone that was a kid and his first Lex was Smallville. It's a pretty common thing, I think Gunn will have bigger ideas for Lex.

I pretty much already know, ( i hope ) but I wanna hear Gunn say that "this Lex is very serious and as intelligent as Tony Stark, but without the quirks.
That's not giving anything away. If anything, it would relieve us.
He's not going to say that because it very likely isn't true. You don't cast Hoult and screentest the Skarsgaard brothers for a character who in most of comics inspiring the movie does have a comedic element to him - just in a very different, less goofy way than Hackman. Lex is very funny in all the Morrison stuff, for example.

Lex should be funny in the same way the bad guys in John Wick say "oh shoot, that's who we messed with" but obviously not as weak but have that element of strength but when Supes is gone he is furious but knows Supes could just destroy him at any moment.

Lex should be funny in the same way the bad guys in John Wick say "oh shoot, that's who we messed with" but obviously not as weak but have that element of strength but when Supes is gone he is furious but knows Supes could just destroy him at any moment.
You guys know what I mean. No shouting Krrrryppptonite, or popping jolly ranchers into people's mouths.

Last edited:
I think if I could equate any prior film performance to the sort of thing I'm expecting with Hoult's Lex, it would be Crispin Glover in River's Edge. I don't mean that in the sense of the ridiculously affected manner of speech or the immaturity of his character in that film, but the nervous energy and pronounced amorality that makes one feel uneasy.

I think we will get a strong, ego centric Lex that doesnt take **** from anyone. I think we will see layers to him but I imagine he will be around for a while so he has to have some sort of mental strength.

It's fitting that a lot of the discourse in this thread feels like it's devolving into soulless corporate speak. :fingerguns:

Hoult is going to be incredible. I would have taken him as Superman, but I'll gladly see what he brings to the table as Lex Luthor.

Yeah he has just the right spark that quietley gave him in the all stars series. And he’s perfect for the modern era, a guy who’s super rich but always acts like he’s been hard done by

Not sure if I’m disagreeing precisely, but my ideal version of Lex knows Superman can’t destroy him. He just doesn’t have the capacity, under even the most dire circumstances —his biggest strength (character) is also his biggest weakness, and that’s what provides Lex his edge. If he creates the right trolley-problem, Lex kicks Superman’s ass. Similar to the foil Ledger and Nolan set up against Bale, I suppose, but on an all-star, cosmic scale.

Not sure if I’m disagreeing precisely, but my ideal version of Lex knows Superman can’t destroy him. He just doesn’t have the capacity, under even the most dire circumstances —his biggest strength (character) is also his biggest weakness, and that’s what provides Lex his edge. If he creates the right trolley-problem, Lex kicks Superman’s ass. Similar to the foil Ledger and Nolan set up against Bale, I suppose, but on an all-star, cosmic scale.
Yeah I totally agree. After re reading what I said I can see my mistake in what I was trying to say

I could see Gunn having a lot of fun adapting the All-Star version of Luthor, who I'd describe as bombastically ***holic

I can see Hoult knocking it out the part.
Same smile, but the eyes turn from warm and friendly in public to malicious and sinister when he's showing his true colours.

If the writing allows it, he's going to be fantastic.

Lex Luthor posing with Lexcorp's latest recipient of the employee of the month award.

Given what Rosenbaum said about the process of shaving his head & how often they had to do it to keep it a really bald shave, he must be filming imminently.

Though it's a pleasure to break away from the tradition of the cinematic Luthors mostly having hair, I will miss the obligatory reveal scenes like in Superman '78 where Lex is standing in the prison yard and says 'You haven't even seen my final form!' before taking off his surfer dude wig and laying waste to Otis in his attempt to kill Superman once and or all.

Nick actually looks really sexy bald. It would be great if the film could make bald sexy again

I'm very anxious to see how Gunn wants his Lex portrayed.
I've been burnt before, but I'm betting this Lex will be the one we've been begging for for years.

I'm very anxious to see how Gunn wants his Lex portrayed.
I've been burnt before, but I'm betting this Lex will be the one we've been begging for for years.
Personally I like a Lex that's older than Superman, so it's already not my 'ideal' but I'm also going in open minded because 1. I think there's a good chance Gunn actually gets the core of the character and 2. Hoult is a great actor.

But yeah I'm eager to see/hear more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"