The Horror Thread - Part 7

What's everyone's line-up for this year's Halloween in the way of films to watch ?

I don't know, depends on when the finish ****ing up my apartment. I'm thinking The Thing right now looking at my pile. If I can, I'll try to squeeze in Nightmare Before Christmas and Re-Animator as well

Last night I watched a couple of old Hammer mummy movies I hadn't seen in decades -

The Mummy's Shroud (1967)
Blood From the Mummy's Tomb (1971)

And today I watched -

The Amazing Colossal Man (1957)
War of the Colossal Beast (1958)
Halloween: Resurrection (2002)

Last night I watched a couple of old Hammer mummy movies I hadn't seen in decades -

The Mummy's Shroud (1967)
Blood From the Mummy's Tomb (1971)

And today I watched -

The Amazing Colossal Man (1957)
War of the Colossal Beast (1958)
Halloween: Resurrection (2002)
One of these things is not like the others... :p

One of these things is not like the others... :p
tumblr_oahkxsDMwZ1ujs9x2o1_500.gif

Well, TCM is going to have a bunch of Vincent Price movies on tonight.

31 Day Horror Marathon
Day 1 | Slice (6.5/10)
Day 2 | Hell Fest (7.5/10)
Day 3 | Ravenous (9/10)
Day 4 | Summer of 84 (7/10)
Day 5 | Down A Dark Hall (8/10)
Day 6 | Under The Shadow (8.5/10)
Day 7 | Mandy (9.5/10)
Day 8 | Eyes Without a Face (9.5/10)
Day 9 | The Devil's Candy (9/10)
Day 10 | Tragedy Girls (5/10)
Day 11 | Stephanie (7/10)
Day 12 | Apostle (9.5/10)
Day 13 | The Ritual (9.5/10)
Day 14 | The Guest (10/10)
Day 15 | Psycho (1960) (10/10)
Day 16 | Halloween (1978) (10/10)
Day 17 | Halloween II (1981) (7.5/10)
Day 18 | Halloween III: Season of the Witch (10/10)
Day 19 | Halloween (2018) (8.5/10)
Day 20 | The Strangers (10/10)
Day 21 | The Witch (10/10)
Day 22 | The Last House on the Left (1972) (5/10)
Day 23 | Scream (9/10)
Day 24 | Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil (8.5/10)
Day 25 | It Comes At Night (10/10)
Day 26 | The Nightmare Before Christmas (10/10)
Day 27 | Sleepaway Camp (9.5/10)
Day 28 | Night of the Living Dead (10/10)
Day 29 | The Thing (1982) (10/10)
Day 30 | The Mist (10/10)
Day 31 | Trick 'r Treat (10/10)​

I'm still reeling over how blown away I was watching Sleepaway Camp. What a classic.

Reactions: NDX
I'm still reeling over how blown away I was watching Sleepaway Camp. What a classic.
That is a fun movie. I like the 2 sequels that followed as well.

My 31 Nights. Could have made it closer to 35, but I got lazy the last few nights of the month. Feeling the grind already and only through the third of five months of movie marathoning.

01. Friday the 13th (1980) (pre-DVDecember)
02. Friday The 13th Part 2 (1981) (pre-DVDecember)
03. Friday The 13th Part 3 (1982) (pre-DVDecember)
04. Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter (1984) (pre-DVDecember)
05. Friday The 13th Part V: A New Beginning (1985) (pre-DVDecember)
06. Friday The 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986) (pre-DVDecember)
07. Friday The 13th Part VII: New Blood (1988) (pre-DVDecember)
08. Friday The 13th Part VIII : Jason Takes Manhattan (1989) (pre-DVDecember)
08.5. Lost Tales From Camp Blood (2009)
09. John Carpenter's Vampires (1998) (pre-DVDecember)
10. Frozen (2010) (pre-DVDecember)
11. Blood Cult (1985) (pre-DVDecember)
12. Revenge (aka Blood Cult 2) (1986) (pre-DVDecember)
13. The Ripper (1985) (pre-DVDecember)
14. The Dentist (1996) (pre-DVDecember)
15. The Dentist 2 Brace Yourself (1998) (pre-DVDecember)
16. Wishmaster (1997) (pre-DVDecember)
17. Wishmaster 2 Evil Never Dies (1999) (pre-DVDecember)
18. Eaten Alive! (Mangiati Vivi!) (1980) (pre-DVDecember)
19. Trilogy of Terror (1975) (pre-DVDecember)
20. The Monster Squad (1987) (pre-DVDecember)
21. The Blob (1988) (pre-DVDecember)
22. Pumpkinhead II Bloody Wings (1994) (pre-DVDecember)
23. Killer Workout (1987) (pre-DVDecember)
24. Slither (2006) (pre-DVDecember)
25. Johnny Dickie's Slaughter Tales (2012) (pre-DVDecember)
25.5 Michael Jackson's Thriller (1983)
26. Blood and Lace (1971) (pre-DVDecember)
27. Anthropophagus (1980) (pre-DVDecember)
28. Absurd (1981) (pre-DVDecember)
29. Gutterballs (2008) (pre-DVDecember)
30. Night of the Living Dead (1968) (pre-DVDecember)
30.5. Night of Anubis (NotLD work print) (1968) (pre-DVDecember)
31. Rise of the Zombies (2012) (pre-DVDecember)

Ignore the pre-DVDecember tag, copies this from another forum and I'm too lazy to delete those.

For a long time I've heard rumors that Exorcist III is quite good. So I finally watched it, and surprisingly, it is in fact quite good. Psycho II is another sequel people are always pleasantly surprised by.

For a long time I've heard rumors that Exorcist III is quite good. So I finally watched it, and surprisingly, it is in fact quite good. Psycho II is another sequel people are always pleasantly surprised by.
I love Exorcist III more than the original. There’s a new cut based on work print materials that’s closer to Blatty’s original cut before the studio hacked it up and added the exorcism scenes, but I haven’t gotten around to watching it yet.
I honestly don’t think any of the Psycho sequels are bad. 3 is kind of a generic slasher but 4 with Norman narrating his life before the original isn’t bad, and Perkins gives his all in every film.

Exorcist III is definitely excellent. The original cut, which I think is on the Shout Factory blu ray, is interesting, but a little harsh to watch because the old footage isn't so clean.

I love Psycho 2 and 3. 4 was okay for a made for TV movie.

Just learned that the local indie theater is getting the director's cut of The House That Jack Built at the end of the November. It's going to be quite the experience.

Psycho II is another sequel people are always pleasantly surprised by.

This is far better than it ever had the right to be, in context of the original's quality. They wove a very good story into the second, which simply didn't play out the first from another angle.

I love Exorcist III more than the original. There’s a new cut based on work print materials that’s closer to Blatty’s original cut before the studio hacked it up and added the exorcism scenes, but I haven’t gotten around to watching it yet.

Can you tell me more about this? I really know nothing about the production of this film or about the existence of other cuts. The version I watched is whatever they had streaming on Amazon Prime.

Can you tell me more about this? I really know nothing about the production of this film or about the existence of other cuts. The version I watched is whatever they had streaming on Amazon Prime.
There’s some websites I’d have to find with all the details, but the basic story is William Peter Blatty has a novel sequel to the Exorcist known as Legion. After Exorcist II was a massive failure, he wanted to adapt the movie himself so Blatty got approval of the studio. And he went on to make a faithful adaption of his novel, Legion.

However, the studio feared it wouldn’t sell without recognition, so they demanded the title be changed to The Exorcist III. Then after viewing a cut, they realized it was an Exorcist film without an exorcism, so they edited Blatty’s cut, removing the original ending for the exorcism ending, and shooting new footage with Jason Miller to make the patient inhabited by the dead killer and demon more obviously Father Karras from the original film. While it was Karras in the novel, the original cut pretty much only relied on Brad Douriff as the Gemini Killer.

So after the studio hacked the film up, the original cut was seemingly lost. Blatty tried for the last several years before he passed away to get it back but after many searches he concluded it was likely destroyed at some point and wouldn’t be recovered.

Fast forward to the end of 2016 year, Scream Factory announced a Blu Ray of the film, and a version of the original cut. While not technically Blatty’s original in full, they found a pallet of VHS tapes and one or more were various takes from Exorcist III that could be used to mostly piece back together the original film. The VHS was years old, so it’s not the greatest quality but the cut does let you get most of the idea of what was supposed to happen.

Scream Factory Blu Ray: The Exorcist III [Collector's Edition] - Blu-ray | Shout! Factory

In depth cut comparison: Exorcist III, The (Comparison: Theatrical Version - Director's Cut) - Movie-Censorship.com

Hmmmm...I may have to buy that now.

Has anyone seen the 1972 Spanish movie THE FURY OF TH WOLF MAN starring Paul Naschy? I just saw it...and it's one bizarre werewolf film. I won't give much away....but it starts with a guy being turned into a werewolf by an attack of a Yeti in the Himalayas......and it gets stranger from there.

The movie was on a disc with 4 other horror movies that came in a box of 50 movies. I've been watching them and then throwing the discs away because I had no plans to watch them again. This one I will save, because I need to watch it again paying more attention to all the craziness. IMDB says there is a version out there with a couple scenes of nudity thrown in....but this one didn't have it.

I still get chills from that hospital hallway scene in Exorcist 3. The gemini's walk just does it for me plus that god awful sound when he appears out of nowhere (Shudders)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"