The Hype Religion Discussion and Debate thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I'm sort of interested to hear what requirements (if any) different religions have for individuals choosing to join the faith, if anyone knows about that sort of thing. Everyone I've known (myself included) were raised in their respective faiths.

I (and I probably am not alone on this) don't even know if it means anything to ask, "Why are we here?" Many times, big questions that begin with 'why' tend to go on relentlessly with no end in sight.

Simplified Example:
"Why is X this way?"
Because Y is causing it.
"Why?"
Because that's the way it is.
"Why?"
Nobody knows, that's just the way it is.
"Why?..........."

This explanation is not enough for many, but I'm fine with not knowing.

Agreed completely.

Personally I don't do a lot of why asking, which is why I don't tend to think much about religion in a serious way at all, and never have.

I'm more concerned with the 'how' of things.

As I said in another thread, when I go into one of my 'how' obsessions, i actually scare myself. When you start delving into the science of 'how' we exist, and you try and trace it back to the very beginning you get to this vast nothingness that must have existed before the first thing existed... or at least that's where my logic lands me.

so how do you even know if you are making the right choices? What if takes you by the end of your life to come to that realization? Then it's too late. F*** i hate living :cmad:

I don't think there is a 'right' choice.

If you strip away god, and the afterlife and morals then it's simply a case of living your life through an understanding of instinct combined with logic.

I mean, everything I do is because it feels right to me. But I think i could coherently defend that it IS right because my understanding of the world and of other people supports that.

Basically what i'm saying is that for every decision you should be asking yourself this:

Step 1 - How does making this decision make me feel? Do I feel guilty. Do I feel in danger. Do I feel dishonest? Do I feel forced or unnatural. Or do I feel excited, alive, happy, blissfull, honest, brave etc etc.

Not forgetting to include whether or not it will make you feel good in the future too.

Step 2 - Does it make logical sense to be doing this? Will I gain from it or loose from it? Can I actually pull it off? Is it realistic or is it an idea that is clouding my judgement because of the lure of it.

And I think, basically, if you have feelings and you have smarts, living your life like this will lead you to good places.

And I think, basically, if you have feelings and you have smarts, living your life like this will lead you to good places.

It is, of course, easier said then done. I think this is more of a personal struggle than a spiritual one. Perhaphs that's why so many depend upon a religion, because they lack the confidence within themselves to pursue happiness. I just know I have a lot of doubts about what I can accomplish because I see my limitations and i fear of failing like others that I see around me. I can only put in so much effort, but I'm really at the mercy of coincidence.

My faith has only given me confidence, it has never taken it away.

It is, of course, easier said then done. I think this is more of a personal struggle than a spiritual one. Perhaphs that's why so many depend upon a religion, because they lack the confidence within themselves to pursue happiness. I just know I have a lot of doubts about what I can accomplish because I see my limitations and i fear of failing like others that I see around me. I can only put in so much effort, but I'm really at the mercy of coincidence.

I agree.

I think that for a lot of people, accepting religion is like the easy way. I mean, I get it. Everything is laid out for you. How to live life, and what the point of it is. It'd be tempting if the fact of it wasn't so impossibly ridiculously unbelievable to me.

Personally, because I don't believe in the afterlife, the future doesn't scare or bother me in terms of making mistakes.

The only thing that bothers me sometimes is the idea that all the things that I would like to experience before I die, I might never get too. Or that I might have to experience the things I dislike for the rest of my life. That seems very horrible to me, and I guess without having the reassurance of faith I can't know for sure that those things won't be true.

But I believe, because the majority of people who have a degree and have been following a career plan and have hobbies and friends and relationships do eventually get what they want (even if it changes a long the way) and are happy, that LOGICALLY I probably won't have to do all the things I dislike doing, and be in all the places I dislike being in for too much longer.

I have a very keen faith in logic I guess.

The only thing that bothers me sometimes is the idea that all the things that I would like to experience before I die, I might never get too. Or that I might have to experience the things I dislike for the rest of my life. That seems very horrible to me, and I guess without having the reassurance of faith I can't know for sure that those things won't be true.

That's what I meant about in fear of the future. It's the fear of never accomplishing that which you received only one chance (it being this life).

But I believe, because the majority of people who have a degree and have been following a career plan and have hobbies and friends and relationships do eventually get what they want (even if it changes a long the way) and are happy, that LOGICALLY I probably won't have to do all the things I dislike doing, and be in all the places I dislike being in for too much longer.

I have a very keen faith in logic I guess.

See, that is what I wish for some of the religious intolerant to understand. A person can experience fulfillment through faith in logic and individual strength, not because a higher power grants you that strength.

I think what it comes down to is that there is an energy force that drives all living things. no matter what you believe about the intentions of that force, we all collectively know its there. Athiests believe that the force resides at the discretion of the individual and theists believe that there is a higher intelligence drawing out a plan. We should be embracing what we share in common, not what makes us different. We are all embracing the force that is life. It's how we each cope with our given circumstances. Why must we conform?

Actually, I'm sort of interested to hear what requirements (if any) different religions have for individuals choosing to join the faith, if anyone knows about that sort of thing. Everyone I've known (myself included) were raised in their respective faiths.
Well, I know when my parents were thinking of joining the Jehovah's Witnesses, they told my father that he would have to shave off the beard he's had since like 1980. They couldn't quote where teh Bible said he had too, but just that it was one of their rules.

Some people find fulfillment and comfort in life through their religious faith.

Some people feel fulfilled and comforted by their faith in logic, or in humanity, or in their friends and family.

Either way, I think what someone turns to to find contentment in their life is their personal matter, and it's not for someone else to come in and lecture them about how it's not enough and their life is misguided and meaningless the way I see way too many atheists AND Christians doing in the religious threads on this forum sometimes.

Anyone that smug and superior about their beliefs, whatever they are, is hugely obnoxious.

A friend sent me this, and I couldn't help but think of this thread. ;)

tumblr_l8ema3J7cY1qzdoaqo1_500.jpg

Or, is allowing us to make our own dumb ass decisions... because he didn't create puppets to do his will, he created flesh breathing people who are allowed to make their own decisions...

I have no idea what the deal is with good and evil, I just know that I try and live my life as best I can.....and whatever stupid decisions I make, I have to live with....

Exactly.

In Islam, just a proclamation of faith of about 5 seconds long.

That's what I meant about in fear of the future. It's the fear of never accomplishing that which you received only one chance (it being this life).

See, that is what I wish for some of the religious intolerant to understand. A person can experience fulfillment through faith in logic and individual strength, not because a higher power grants you that strength.

I think what it comes down to is that there is an energy force that drives all living things. no matter what you believe about the intentions of that force, we all collectively know its there. Athiests believe that the force resides at the discretion of the individual and theists believe that there is a higher intelligence drawing out a plan. We should be embracing what we share in common, not what makes us different. We are all embracing the force that is life. It's how we each cope with our given circumstances. Why must we conform?

Agreed completely.

I mean to a certain extent I do believe in 'forces' in the world, and even that I have a 'soul' to some degree or another. I believe in empathy. I believe that sometimes 'signs' are point me in the right direction.

But I also think all of these things are explainable through science and logic.

I.e. - when I am looking for signs, my brain creates those connections in circumstances and coinsidences
- though I feel that there is a 'core me' and I refer to it as my soul, I am not talking about some kind of ghost, but possibly a part of the brain where the most ingrained and most prominent aspects of my personality reside

Some people find fulfillment and comfort in life through their religious faith.

Some people feel fulfilled and comforted by their faith in logic, or in humanity, or in their friends and family.

Either way, I think what someone turns to to find contentment in their life is their personal matter, and it's not for someone else to come in and lecture them about how it's not enough and their life is misguided and meaningless the way I see way too many atheists AND Christians doing in the religious threads on this forum sometimes.

Anyone that smug and superior about their beliefs, whatever they are, is hugely obnoxious.

I would agree... I want to agree... but it's like trying to accept someone believing in Santa Claus just because it makes them happy.

I'm sorry, I know i'm probably being arrogant about my beliefs... I just can't shake it.

Prove it....

:woot: Probably the two words that should never be uttered on a religious debate thread, and yet are the most important to me.

lol.....nah, I was just messing with him...

Kel, if there is a God, then he absolutely created us as slaves.

God reportedly knows every action a person will take. Obviously it would be impossible for us to prove him wrong...so we are bound to make the decisions he laid out for us in advance. An abortion doctor is blameless, as that was his assigned decision. Even a rapist or murderer would also merely be a pawn in God's sick, cruel game.

I prefer the idea of there being no god over the idea of one that would write our lives for us, and then torture us for eternity for doing what we could not stop ourselves from doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"