The Avengers The "I Believe In Mark Ruffalo!" Support Thread

I was never that big a fan of the Hulk television series as a kid. I appreciate Bixby gave a good performance and I liked some of the spin off films, but the series was a bit boring for me as a kid. It just seemed like he was only ever fighting some random goon and such. I really hope Del Toro's series can do the Hulk justice.

Well like I said, Bixby is probably the only aspect of the show I really enjoyed, even as a kid (though Bixby did frighten me too :oldrazz:)

I understood the limitations of the time period, but still, the "Hulk" left much to be desired. I guess it was the routine that really bothered me. He would come out, grab the bad guy by the shirt, toss um, hit the most muscular pose, then jog down the street lol. Add to that the green slippers, and some of the weird wigs, and it definitely doesn't age well most of the time. That being said, there are some gems...

Well like I said, Bixby is probably the only aspect of the show I really enjoyed, even as a kid (though Bixby did frighten me too :oldrazz:)

I understood the limitations of the time period, but still, the "Hulk" left much to be desired. I guess it was the routine that really bothered me. He would come out, grab the bad guy by the shirt, toss um, hit the most muscular pose, then jog down the street lol. Add to that the green slippers, and some of the weird wigs, and it definitely doesn't age well most of the time. That being said, there are some gems...

That's the thing about Bixby. He had such an intensity that even before he had turned into the Hulk, he could be scary. Even in the flashback in the pilot of when his car overturned with his wife and he was trying to rescue her, there was something scary about him. He often gave the feel of a haunted man with something terrible lurking beneath the surface.

That's why, despite the TV series looking rather silly now, there are some aspects of it which still hold as the scariest incarnation of the Hulk so far, because of what you didn't see, the psychological tension and the sense that he really could turn into this raging beast (even though that beast was in no way as destructive or rampaging as any of the movie Hulks).

That's the thing about Bixby. He had such an intensity that even before he had turned into the Hulk, he could be scary. Even in the flashback in the pilot of when his car overturned with his wife and he was trying to rescue her, there was something scary about him. He often gave the feel of a haunted man with something terrible lurking beneath the surface.

That's why, despite the TV series looking rather silly now, there are some aspects of it which still hold as the scariest incarnation of the Hulk so far, because of what you didn't see, the psychological tension and the sense that he really could turn into this raging beast (even though that beast was in no way as destructive or rampaging as any of the movie Hulks).

Agreed, Bill was said to be a very stern man in real life. He also had those penetrating eyes, even without the contacts, he could look right through you. And that goes back to what I was saying previously, he could strike that balance between the light and dark, the charm and the simmering rage.

I think that exchange between him and Elaina in the pressure chamber during the Pilot exemplifies this. He goes from confusion, to frustration to a fit of quick, explosive anger, to charm and endearment back to fear and unease. In a matter of minutes. It's brilliant really

Agreed, Bill was said to be a very stern man in real life. He also had those penetrating eyes, even without the contacts, he could look right through you. And that goes back to what I was saying previously, he could strike that balance between the light and dark, the charm and the simmering rage.

I think that exchange between him and Elaina in the pressure chamber during the Pilot exemplifies this. He goes from confusion, to frustration to a fit of quick, explosive anger, to charm and endearment back to fear and unease. In a matter of minutes. It's brilliant really

Whenever he does get slightly frustrated or annoyed and raises his voice, whether in the pilot or elsewhere in the series, you really do get the feeling that you don't want to make him angry. It's one thing for people to utter it as a threat, but Bixby really felt like he could back it up and it was more of an urgent warning than just mere words. There was ALWAYS the tension and suspense whenever you saw his rage simmering of whether now is going to be the moment that he's pushed over the edge and Hulks out.

I really hope Ruffalo can do something similar. For that alone, even if he doesn't Hulk out as much, that would be something special, even to see him play as intense (and charming) a Banner as Bixby who can actually frighten you.

BTW I never found Bana or Norton frightening.

I'm already liking both the casting decision of Ruffalo and the look of the CGI Hulk more than Ang Lee's or Leterrier's. Ruffalo just feels more vulnerable. It makes you feel more sorry for him that he has to live with this threat to his loved ones, and makes it more strange to see him turn into a monster.

I like that the plot won't come to a screeching hault when the actor playing Banner turns into a CGI monster, now that the Hulk will be a continuation of Ruffalo.

Is the movie out yet?

... how 'bout now?

We're getting very little in the way of on set pics of Ruffalo, compared to the rest of the cast; good sign or bad..?

Well he is a CGI monster for half the movie, so I understand.

I think they should re-create the last scene of TIH where the camera is on Norton's face, and his eyes open to reveal green. Except of course, it's Ruffalo's face, and then the very next scene are SHIELD troops closing in on the cabin.

I think they should re-create the last scene of TIH where the camera is on Norton's face, and his eyes open to reveal green. Except of course, it's Ruffalo's face, and then the very next scene are SHIELD troops closing in on the cabin.
Now that would confuse people.

I think that would be pretty cool. Maybe he knows the soldiers are coming and instead of running he just sits there and consciously lets the Hulk out.

I hope they don't ignore all the development in The Incredible Hulk. I want to see where they go with this Banner gaining control thing.

Now that would confuse people.

I think it would actullay be cool. it would not only introduced the GA to the new Banner, but also let them know that the continuity of TIH will not be ignored...

I think that would be pretty cool. Maybe he knows the soldiers are coming and instead of running he just sits there and consciously lets the Hulk out.

I hope they don't ignore all the development in The Incredible Hulk. I want to see where they go with this Banner gaining control thing.

That's exactly what I was thinking. He knows they're after him, so he consciously hulks out.

I just wanted to say that for the most part I've been in a wait and see type holding pattern before passing any sort of judgement on Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner/The Hulk. But I have been thinking about an interesting idea for him to get fans to warm up to him in the role. If he really wants to endear himself he should pull a full on Lou Ferrigno and paint himself green as well as wear purple shorts. :D Well, it's more or less an idea that extends to the whole cast though 'cause it would be interesting to see them Cosplay at a convention. Hey, I'd Cosplay too if I were in a panel just to be interesting and have a bit of fun.

I just wanted to say that for the most part I've been in a wait and see type holding pattern before passing any sort of judgement on Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner/The Hulk. But I have been thinking about an interesting idea for him to get fans to warm up to him in the role. If he really wants to endear himself he should pull a full on Lou Ferrigno and paint himself green as well as wear purple shorts. :D Well, it's more or less an idea that extends to the whole cast though 'cause it would be interesting to see them Cosplay at a convention. Hey, I'd Cosplay too if I were in a panel just to be interesting and have a bit of fun.

I think that would be embarrassing if anything. It would be reminiscent of that sketch with Ed Norton as Banner beating up that 5'3" Hulk or whatever height he was.

Personaly, I loved Norton as Banner, but he's not and won't be and I'm over it.

All Ruffalo has to do to make people like and respect him as Banner is to do an awesome job at acting the role.

I think that would be embarrassing if anything. It would be reminiscent of that sketch with Ed Norton as Banner beating up that 5'3" Hulk or whatever height he was.

I was trying to be facetious and funny. I guess my humor went right over your head. :csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"