Why Mark Ruffalo?

Discussion in 'The Avengers Sequels' started by Picard Sisko, May 28, 2012.

1. Viper81 Agent of Mac Sauce

He delivered one of the greatest lines ever in a comic book movie...

"That's my secret Captain. I'm always angry."

I actually clapped at that scene. Best scene in the entire movie.

2. terry78 Seein' it eye 2 eye

^That whole scene was something you would have read in the comics. One panel would have featured him saying "That's my secret, Cap....", followed by the next panel showing him Hulking out and finishing the phrase, "...I'm ALWAYS angry."

3. Marrelito Registered

Mark is cool :)

4. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

she still looks younger than Ruffahulk. To get her back as Betty would be great.

#130 R_Hythlodeus, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  5. Brian Braddock R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

#walks into thread, sees the above post, shrugs and leaves##

6. Ant-manic Registered

i think movie Banner should find his way to California and sleep on his cousin's couch for awhile.

7. Filman Registered

Bro, his acting was awesome. It gave the character a great depth. The pain of that character and also all the threat he carried for others and himself. I loved his acting.

8. docdoc Registered

I like Ed Norton, I would have love it if they have kept him for The Avengers.

BUT, I agree that Mark Ruffalo indeed made Bruce Banner more interesting than ever. If it was Norton who was chasing that little girl in Brazil or discussing Loki with the gangs, I would totally be like "WHY U NO HULK YET?", 'cause Norton just get me this feeling that he needs an action scene right now! right now! right now!

Mark on the other hand, brought in a more down to earth banner, the one who can actually dissolve into the team, but interesting enough to be, as people said, "uninterested" in anything around him, until the point he needs to be.

When Norton turns into HULK I was like "Hell yeah!", but when Mark does I was like "Holy **** that's scary!!", I think banner should be the way Mark does in The Avengers.

9. Bren Forevernoob

I felt sorry for Ruffalo's character. I should also have felt sorry for Norton's banner, but I didn't, just passing the time till he changed.

As much as I was bored with Norton, Ruffalo did have the advantage of other Avengers taking some of the attention.

10. Mjölnir Guest

I liked both Norton and Ruffalo. They play Banner at pretty different stages in his life though. Norton plays him while he's still immensely tormented by what's inside him, while Ruffalo is in full control.

For a solo movie I think it's better to have Banner conflicted since that's what really makes that character interesting and that is what fills up the movie. In The Avengers he doesn't need to carry as much emotionally so there we can just go with the fun version of him "suiting up". Then again I guess that as soon as they stop using the weird message of "strength overcomes everything" Hulk works in every way.

11. mkilban2 family1stclothingco.com

it's going to be interesting to see what they do in the next Hulk solo outing. Since he is under control now, he won't randomly Hulk out unless he wants to or needs to. I'm sure that Ross will still want to be chasing him even though he earned some respect in TIH or someone will be on his tail. I'm just having a hard time thinking of other storylines or story angles to use (I'm not a comic reader so idk) Only thing I could think of is Planet Hulk, but for that we would need him to somehow get sent into space (Maybe in Avengers 2 he grabs the cube and is transported or something) then they do a solo Hulk movie after that. But I loved Norton as Hulk and love Ruffalo as Hulk as well.

12. Ant-manic Registered

he has a lot of material from the books that they haven't touched. they could introduce General Ryker or Glen Talbot. they could have Betty transform into the Harpy. we haven't officially seen the Leader. there's also the U-Foes.

13. mkilban2 family1stclothingco.com

Cool, I figured there's a lot more stuff to use besides PH.. only question I have is how would some of those stories be adapted with Banner already being in control of the Hulk? From what I think I know, he's usually not in full control in the comics right? Enlighten me folks! :)

14. KDM1986 Midnight Sons Founder

Agreed I thought Connelly was awesome as Betty. Plus she was in my favorite childhood movie, (The Labyrinth). But the chances of her reprising the role are slim and none. And slim just left town.

15. spideymouse Registered

Thanks for saying this. I completely agree, and it's completely based on the writing and the story. Had Norton played ball with Marvel and Whedon, I absolutely believe he would have delivered a fantastic performance as the "in control, more experienced" Banner that people are attributing to Ruffalo's acting, but really is first and foremost thanks to Whedon's decision to develop the character into that (admittedly, more likeable) stage of his life. People don't credit Scarlett Johansson for developing the Black Widow character (much) further from where she was in IM2; they credit Whedon's script.

16. DaddlerTheDalek Starship Captain

Ruffalo is Great, Thats why.

17. storyteller Registered

For me Norton's Banner was a man who couldn't control his power and was basically a fugitive.He was mr super careful.

Ruffalo was paranoid and knew he was the most powerful damn thing in the room. Rewatching his interaction with everyone is awesome.

Captain America; Guys be careful around this guy

Thor: Doesn't know that the guy across the table can kick his ass. He calls him small in the group scene and boom minutes later he's huge.

Widow: Banner wants her to think she has a little control.

Stark: Made a new bff

18. terry78 Seein' it eye 2 eye

Hawkeye: Eh, it is what it is.

19. Xeno-noesis Registered

Regarding his most recent "appearance"...I had an interesting thought. Since Banner/Hulk won't have a movie of his own in Phase 2, a great way to keep him involved and relevant would be to have each post-credits scene involve him in some capacity. It would be a lot of fun to see him make secret cameos in Thor, Cap, and GOTG.

Personally, I think it would be a brilliant move by Marvel Studios.

20. Spiderine Sho nuff

Bana and Norton had more material to work with given it was a solo movie about the character and his inner conflict.

Ruffalo was apart of an ensemble cast and the Avengers was not primarily about him. I liked Ruffalo's portrayal in Avengers.

21. marvelrobbins Registered

I prefer edward Norton as banner.He and mark Ruffalo are both oscar nominated
    actors so It's not a hwo Is better actor debate for me.Banner was better written
    In the Incredible Hulk.I was very disappointed how Joss whedon wrote banner
    In the avengers.He came off way too much like David Banner from 1970's
    TV show for me.He was way too much In control.That's defeats the purpose
    of doing hulk If he's In control.I never liked the whole he's always angry bit.
    Norton was very much the 616 Banner brought to life.Yeah the origin was cross
    between TV show and ultimates but beside that It was banner I wanted to see
    which Is why I was so thrilled back when Norton was announced for The Incredible Hulk.

If they are Intent with keeping the whole Banner Is always angry angle then I
    am fine with Banner/Hulk only In Avengers sequels and possibly appearances
    In other solo films
    Such as his post credit's scene In Iron Man 3

22. pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

the man is getting old. and looks it.

23. mkilban2 family1stclothingco.com

...he's 45 :doh: lol. A little grey hair could be good for the character (show's how much stress he's gone through.) Or can easily be covered up and made to look younger.

24. warhorse78 Registered

Yeah, and how old is Robert Downey Jr, and that doesn't seem to be stopping him any. If you take care of yourself and are blessed with good genes, age is just a number folks, just a number.

Hell, how old is Samuel L Jackson? 65?