Sequels Why Mark Ruffalo?

Is Hemsworth nearly as big as Ferrigno? Or maybe Lou is still bigger? In that shot Ferrigno certainly looks rather average-sized.

Ah, there is a 1970's picture with Ferrigno Holding Bixby's head with his arm. You can actually see that Bixby's head was about the same size as Ferrigno's biceps.

I was/am a fan of Norton's performance but Ruffalo's was clearly superior. Ruffalo's was the first Banner that actually made me believe that he was a scientist. I never got that impression from Norton. He was just "scared guy on the run". Ruffalo's Banner showed tremendous growth in character too.

I also thought it was interesting that Whedon decided to make TIH alternate intro canon in TA. This probably annoys Norton to no end...that and the fact that he missed out on a massive blockbuster because of his "difficult" demeanor.

It's going to be nice seeing the same actor play Banner more than once finally...:crosses fingers:

I think I enjoyed Ruffalo's performance more than I did with Nortons and don't get me wrong, I will always be a fan of Norton but its a shame that he wasn't able to return to reprise his role in the Avengers and if they bring back Betty Ross, bring back Liv Tyler.

I think it was a downgrade from Ed Norton. Heck, I thought even Eric Bana was a more believable Bruce Banner.
I totally disagree. Ruff was the best movie Banner so far. Norton was playing Ed as Banner. He phoned it in. Bana wasn't given much directing. Ang Lee was clueless!

And you'd be absolutely right. That's why I just laugh at the people who ***** and moan about recasts being the end of the world, when it's clear that the vast majority of audiences move right along with the switches.
You hit the nail on the head. Only the actor fanboys care. When their guy gets fired or quits.

I'm thrilled we will most likely get a recast Betty Ross too. I wasn't thrilled with Liv Tyler either.

I'm thrilled we will most likely get a recast Betty Ross too. I wasn't thrilled with Liv Tyler either.

She looked like a teenager. Never struck me as a brilliant scientist.

I loved Jennifer Connelly in the Ang Lee version, but I'm sure she'd be considered too old for the role now. Maybe Evangeline Lilly or something I dunno

Is Hemsworth nearly as big as Ferrigno? Or maybe Lou is still bigger? In that shot Ferrigno certainly looks rather average-sized.

Lou is bigger LOL, check out some google pics.
He was a bodybuilding champion.

Last edited:
Lou is bigger LOL, check out some google pics.
He was a bodybuilding champion.

Yes, I know. But people today can get pretty big even if they aren't, so I was wondering - especially since Lou isn't as big or ripped as some of the modern Mr Olympias. Lou has also sometimes lost a lot of mass over the years, and is even shorter than he used to be. He used to stand at 6'5" but now he's more like 6'3" and certainly shorter by about an inch than Zachary Levi when they stood next to each other.

Yes, I know. But people today can get pretty big even if they aren't, so I was wondering - especially since Lou isn't as big or ripped as some of the modern Mr Olympias. Lou has also sometimes lost a lot of mass over the years, and is even shorter than he used to be. He used to stand at 6'5" but now he's more like 6'3" and certainly shorter by about an inch than Zachary Levi when they stood next to each other.

I wouldn't say that.
Have you seen what Lou looked like in the 90's?

Click this- http://www.bodybuilding-pics.com/view/16427/132/Lou-ferrigno.html
Or how about this- http://bodybuildingchampions.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/lou-ferrigno-bodybuilding-champion.html

He was an absolute monster.

(I'm on a mac and don't know how to post images, macs being so user friendly and all, yea right).

I loved Jennifer Connelly in the Ang Lee version, but I'm sure she'd be considered too old for the role now. Maybe Evangeline Lilly or something I dunno

Connelly too old for Ruffalo's Banner? I think not.

I wouldn't say that.
Have you seen what Lou looked like in the 90's?

Click this- http://www.bodybuilding-pics.com/view/16427/132/Lou-ferrigno.html
Or how about this- http://bodybuildingchampions.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/lou-ferrigno-bodybuilding-champion.html

He was an absolute monster.

(I'm on a mac and don't know how to post images, macs being so user friendly and all, yea right).

Agree with you Radioactive1980, Lou was a BEAST.Anyone notice with the Hulk pic you really cant see his muscles as much, i guess becaus eof the green makeup and the pants but the pics show otherwise.Def one of the greatest bodybuilders of all time.

As an Apple Technician I find this statement hilarious.
(though like anything it is all about what is familiar so I do understand your frustration)

Bumping this thread - as I've said before, I now think Ruffalo ended up being a better Banner and general overall fit in the Avengers but it seems that Mr Norton is now saying that he made a conscious decision not to reprise the role because he simply wants to make more 'thoughtful' movies:-

http://www.express.co.uk/features/view/339588/Why-Edward-Norton-dumped-Hulk

So, to all the folks who wanted Norton to return [I was one of them] and wouldnt accept anyone else, bad-mouthing Marvel in the process for screwing 'continuity' - there you have it from the horses mouth; the guy didnt want to return and in fact goes a stage further and basically pi$$es on the genre with his comments;

But, do we believe him?

I mean, there are so many theories as to why he didnt return. The very 1st post in this thread says that it was because Norton wanted too much money but now Norton says it was for artistic reasons. Personally, if the other theory about Marvel simply not asking him to come back is true, his latest words seem like an attempt to save face, kind of like a you didnt sack me, I left of my own accord because I want to make better films, so to speak.In short, he wasnt pushed, he jumped.

Whast do we think?

I think, he made a phenomenal and thoughtful movie in The Incredible Hulk (one of my favorites) and when he jumped ship I almost gave up on The Avengers initiative. Thats why its so sad his statement about "thoughtful movies," as if superheroes are incapable of being thoughtful. MAKES ME SAD!

Maybe it was about money, maybe it was about creative control, maybe his dog was dying of meningitis. It doesnt really matter because he is gone and he'll never be in another Hulk film. :'( If Ruffalo is here to stay then so be it. But Ed Norton will likely be my favorite Banner/Hulk for quite some time.

Bumping this thread - as I've said before, I now think Ruffalo ended up being a better Banner and general overall fit in the Avengers but it seems that Mr Norton is now saying that he made a conscious decision not to reprise the role because he simply wants to make more 'thoughtful' movies:-

http://www.express.co.uk/features/view/339588/Why-Edward-Norton-dumped-Hulk

So, to all the folks who wanted Norton to return [I was one of them] and wouldnt accept anyone else, bad-mouthing Marvel in the process for screwing 'continuity' - there you have it from the horses mouth; the guy didnt want to return and in fact goes a stage further and basically pi$$es on the genre with his comments;

But, do we believe him?

I mean, there are so many theories as to why he didnt return. The very 1st post in this thread says that it was because Norton wanted too much money but now Norton says it was for artistic reasons. Personally, if the other theory about Marvel simply not asking him to come back is true, his latest words seem like an attempt to save face, kind of like a you didnt sack me, I left of my own accord because I want to make better films, so to speak.In short, he wasnt pushed, he jumped.

Whast do we think?

Didn't he essentially admit at the time though that it was a shame that Feige had decided to be unprofession about it by bad mouthing him and asking him not to come back because of creative differences, when Norton himself felt that they could've worked through any problems and done something good here with the Avengers? It sounds now like he's completely changing his tune.

At least if he said he left on his own at the time then it might've been more believable, but now giving a completely different message to his original one makes it sound like he is trying to save face (a bit late).

BTW why does that article go straight from talking about Norton to Dallas without even a little headline? There's nothing to even suggest two articles in the headline at the top. It's like it's all one and the same story. I thought Patrick Duffy had something to chime in about Norton at first and couldn't figure out how the lack of Dallas pranks has any bearing on the Hulk.

Last edited:
because he's awesome and the best Banner to date. That's why.

Exactly...I can't see how anyone can ***** about him, except for hardcore Norton fans (who are honestly, getting to be as annoying as Nolanites...)

Norton turned in a very average performance as Bruce Banner, with some very average line delivery and very little emotion. Ruffalo's Banner was fully formed, lived in and subtle. He in my opinion, is Downey's equal in the movie.

Honestly, I don't think one actor was better than another. I think the difference was that each character was slightly different. the Bruce Banner from Hulk was different than the one from TIH, and both were different than the one in the Avengers. It's not a "bad" thing, but it does show some inconsistency.

Either way, I enjoyed Norton's version as much as Ruffalo's. Bana's was.... eh in my opinion.

The real question is..... who will play him in the next Avengers? I know Ruffalo has a huge contract, but let's keep the pattern going. Let's go off the radar and get Corey Feldman.

Honestly, I don't think one actor was better than another. I think the difference was that each character was slightly different. the Bruce Banner from Hulk was different than the one from TIH, and both were different than the one in the Avengers. It's not a "bad" thing, but it does show some inconsistency.

Either way, I enjoyed Norton's version as much as Ruffalo's. Bana's was.... eh in my opinion.

The real question is..... who will play him in the next Avengers? I know Ruffalo has a huge contract, but let's keep the pattern going. Let's go off the radar and get Corey Feldman.

Um...Ruffalo will play him. They're not going to replace the actor who played The Hulk in a $1.5 Billion grossing film.

Lou Ferrigno was bigger than Arnold. Biggest version of Hemsworth would look like a surfer boy next to Lou.

60 years old Lou:
lou_ferrigno_shirtless_celebrity_apprentice2-large-430x430.jpg

Hemsworth always looks like a bit of a surfer boy.

I was so disappointed when Norton dropped out, just for the drop in continuity, if nothing else. No way was I going to let it ruin The Avengers for me, but I never thought I'd end up thinking I'm actually glad Ruffalo stepped in.

I completely am, though. Definitely the best Banner ever, in my opinion. His mannerisms are perfect. I don't know why this in particular sticks out for me, but there's a little moment on the helicarrier when he notices two SHIELD agents out of the corner of his eye and sort of instinctively keeps his head down. I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"