The Last of Us The Last of Us Part III

I think that would undermine the second game quite a bit.
Well... Ellie actually overcomes her survivor's guilt and realises that her life has meaning beyond death.
This. Ellie sacrificing herself for a cure is suggested by fans all the time and it goes against the established story and themes. Druckmann and Naughty Dog won't do that. But I do believe the Fireflies and her immunity/a cure (the MacGuffin of the series) will come back into play. There's a reason Abby and Lev make it to Catalina at the end of Part II. What that will lead to, I'm not sure...

Of course, but they probably shouldn't tell a story that completely negates the story they just told?

So Ellie shouldn't grow as a character and evolve her thinking beyond where she was at the end of the second game or else it will "undermine" it? What?

So Ellie shouldn't grow as a character and evolve her thinking beyond where she was at the end of the second game or else it will "undermine" it? What?
I genuinely don't understand your position here. She was at a point where she found her life meaningless apart from the cure in the first game. The second game evolves her beyond that. Why on earth would they go BACK, and regress her character?

I genuinely don't understand your position here. She was at a point where she found her life meaningless apart from the cure in the first game. The second game evolves her beyond that. Why on earth would they go BACK, and regress her character?

I don't understand your position. Its odd that Ellie CHOOSING how she dies (because she's a moral woman who is going to die at some point) would supposedly be "regression" for her character. What would be a better ending to her story in your opinion?

That is rather binary thinking. She either feels meaningless or she has a reason to live but can't find a way to help save mankind from extinction.

I don't understand your position. Its odd that Ellie CHOOSING how she dies (because she's a moral woman who is going to die at some point) would supposedly be "regression" for her character. What would be a better ending to her story in your opinion?
I have no idea. But her sacrificing herself to make a cure is just a bit too Marvel for me.
Luckily Druckmann and co. are better writers than me, or anyone else on this forum.

That is rather binary thinking. She either feels meaningless or she has a reason to live but can't find a way to help save mankind from extinction.
Yeah, when you have a lot to lose and give it up to save others it means a lot too.

PS6? The 5 hasn't long come out has it?
Its been more than 2 years. So if they follow the 7 years gap of its predecessors, it should be announced in 4 years for its release - 5 years from now. Ps5 slim and ps5 pro are also reported to be announced this year.

Part III coming out in 5 years seems possible as it isn't even officially announced yet.

PS6 is at least another 4-5 years away.

Its been more than 2 years. So if they follow the 7 years gap of its predecessors, it should be announced in 4 years for its release - 5 years from now. Ps5 slim and ps5 pro are also reported to be announced this year.

Part III coming out in 5 years seems possible as it isn't even officially announced yet.

PS6 is at least another 4-5 years away.

Looks like the show will surpass the games then. Hope it doesn't turn into a GoT situation.

They might. Stranger Things proved that even after a 3 year wait, people will still come back in droves if a show is popular enough. Of course they didn't plan it that way because Covid happened but still...

I'm pretty sure they'll adapt the second game into two seasons. If each one is taking two years to get released it won't be that far off the third game if they want it to come first. But I also have a feeling they'll change stuff from the sequel since it was so divisive and have the show follow its own path.

I'm pretty sure they'll adapt the second game into two seasons. If each one is taking two years to get released it won't be that far off the third game if they want it to come first. But I also have a feeling they'll change stuff from the sequel since it was so divisive and have the show follow its own path.

I have said it before but I think they could genuinely get 3 seasons out of the 2nd game. End season 2 with THAT moment. Then Ellie’s part, then Abby’s.

I have said it before but I think they could genuinely get 3 seasons out of the 2nd game. End season 2 with THAT moment. Then Ellie’s part, then Abby’s.
I think three season would be way too much. The moment is pretty much in the beginning of the game so I don't see how much they can show before that. Sure there are the flashbacks but there's also the time lapse that makes it hard. I also very much doubt the series will only show one character at a time. I'm sure Ellie's and Abby's arcs will be shown in parallel story-wise.

They aren't gonna do that while the show is gaining momentum every week. Putting it on hiatus would make people lose interest.
The first season is just 9 episodes covering the entire first game. I mean they could have prolonged the first game for a 2nd season, or for more episodes and they didn't.

I could see a 2nd season with more episodes. But stretching it to 2 seasons airing in 2 to 3 years, just because the show is successful would hurt the quality and perhaps the momentum.

Cable networks and streaming services always have a BIG gap between seasons. NetfliX shows did that. Even the Mandalorian season 3 isn't being released 1 year after the second season.

A season 3 that takes after the release of Part III would be understandable.

The first season is just 9 episodes covering the entire first game. I mean they could have prolonged the first game for a 2nd season, or for more episodes and they didn't.

I could see a 2nd season with more episodes. But stretching it to 2 seasons airing in 2 to 3 years, just because the show is successful would hurt the quality and perhaps the momentum.

Cable networks and streaming services always have a BIG gap between seasons. NetfliX shows did that. Even the Mandalorian season 3 isn't being released 1 year after the second season.

A season 3 that takes after the release of Part III would be understandable.

Those other show you mentioned have had big gaps because of Covid. If we get TLOUIII in 2026, and that's a big if, it will be like 2028 before get a show adaptation. That's not gonna happen in my eyes.

The 2nd game is at least twice the size of the first. I genuinely think they could get 3 seasons out of it. Especially if they expand on stuff.

Craig Mazin has also said he has no interest in adapting anything that doesn't already exist regarding TLOU so I don't think we'll see the show go beyond the games.

Last of Us HBO Series Length: Creators Reveal Full Timeline

“Unless some miraculous thing happened and the video game production was accelerated by 1000% and the third game magically came out,” Mazin said through a fit of laughter, “I am not interested in going beyond the existing source material. As a viewer, I have no problem watching shows that just keep going and going and going. No problem. But as a writer, I don’t want to be in the position of spinning plates to just spool out season after season of stuff. To me, it’s important that things are purposeful, and if they’re purposeful, that means they have endings. That means everything you do is carefully selected and chosen, not just there to keep going.”

I think people took note at how moving ahead of the source material ultimately didn't go so well for Game of Thrones. But circumstances were also different then, that was almost a decade ago when GoT surpassed the books and HBO didn't have as many big shows in their wheelhouse as they do now. Sure, TLOU is popular but so are House of the Dragon, Succession, Euphoria, The White Lotus, etc. HBO isn't going to force Mazin and Druckmann into going beyond the source material if they don't want to. As it is, let's say TLOU season 2 doesn't air for another 3 years and then there's another 1-2 year gap before season 3 which would both tackle Part II. Ideally if TLOU Part III comes out shortly after that then they'd still have ample time between the game comes out and a fourth season covering either all or some of Part III.

Besides that I also think audiences are becoming a little more accustomed to longer gaps between seasons thanks to big shows like Stranger Things, the nearly 2-year gap between the final two seasons of Game of Thrones, House of the Dragon S2 not airing until 2024, etc.

Those other show you mentioned have had big gaps because of Covid. If we get TLOUIII in 2026, and that's a big if, it will be like 2028 before get a show adaptation. That's not gonna happen in my eyes.

The 2nd game is at least twice the size of the first. I genuinely think they could get 3 seasons out of it. Especially if they expand on stuff.
Aren't we getting Wednesday season 2 in 2024....

And a single game being adapted for 3 seasons is more unlikely to happen. Thats probably even worse than Wb splitting the Hobbit to 3 movies. Part II isn't that long especially if you compare it to open world games.

Aren't we getting Wednesday season 2 in 2024....

And a single game being adapted for 3 seasons is more unlikely to happen. Thats probably even worse than Wb splitting the Hobbit to 3 movies. Part II isn't that long especially if you compare it to open world games.

Didn't Wednesday just release at the very end of 2022?

TLOUII was twice the size of the first game. It wasn't super long but over 20 hours. They could easily make a season out of the flashbacks. Then A season each for Ellie's and Abby's sections. Do I think they will do that? No I don't. But they could.

I think the story of the second game is pretty hard to drag out too long. The idea to end the first season with *that event* makes sense out of context, but it would mean an entire season of padding since it's not a mid plot event, it's what starts the plot.

I also think that they should use the show medium to instead cut between Ellie and Abby more than the game did, so I have a hard time seeing a good middle point of the story. I'd probably prefer one season being made from the second game and they can trim off some fat, and possibly have more than 9 episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"