The Last Stand Novel

tirminyl

Civilian
Reaction score
Last week I purchased the Chris Claremont novelization and I am now at chapter 8. Let me say this- Damn, is it good. The character depth provided is great! 3 things that reconfirmed my decision to purchase this book:
  1. The character of Storm. I like the way she has been handled, like I have always remembered her.
  2. I love the explanation of Jeans powers when she was young and when she turned. It's always great to delve yourself into another "verse" of the X-Men characters and have their abilities explained. The scene where she takes the gun from Magneto and manipulates it into metal, wood, and then seed for a tree. Her turning into a living star while battling Xavier. Love it.
  3. Magneto. I can't help but picture Sir Ian while reading. I love the suttle explanation of his power and their scope. The way he sub-atomically changed the properties of a metal door to gain entry. The way he used his ability to shield himself from Jeans TK shockwave after she killed Xavier. The way he used his power to "watch" Jean as she manipulated the molecules of the gun.
So great, I love it. I am an X-Geek back in full force. Can't wait to finish reading this book!!! Oh well. Just my thoughts that I thought I would share.

Do they develop the Beast character? If so, I'm off to buy it :D

do they go more in depth into the rogue and iceman characters becauses they kinda look like they were there just to be there?

tirminyl said:
Last week I purchased the Chris Claremont novelization and I am now at chapter 8. Let me say this- Damn, is it good. The character depth provided is great! 3 things that reconfirmed my decision to purchase this book:
  1. The character of Storm. I like the way she has been handled, like I have always remembered her.
  2. I love the explanation of Jeans powers when she was young and when she turned. It's always great to delve yourself into another "verse" of the X-Men characters and have their abilities explained. The scene where she takes the gun from Magneto and manipulates it into metal, wood, and then seed for a tree. Her turning into a living star while battling Xavier. Love it.
  3. Magneto. I can't help but picture Sir Ian while reading. I love the suttle explanation of his power and their scope. The way he sub-atomically changed the properties of a metal door to gain entry. The way he used his ability to shield himself from Jeans TK shockwave after she killed Xavier. The way he used his power to "watch" Jean as she manipulated the molecules of the gun.
So great, I love it. I am an X-Geek back in full force. Can't wait to finish reading this book!!! Oh well. Just my thoughts that I thought I would share.
Wow! All of that is so great (and a little overrated)! What did Storm do? Can you tell me please? Just tell me one thing because I am looking forward to getting the book.

well one thing different is that when Storm does her little funnel cloud outside of Jean's house, there is another mutant there instead of Arclight.

"Storm by contrast, went airborne, spinning herslef out of reach of the others left guarding the door. She held herself still in the heart of her vortex, while intensifying the surrounding winds to the point where she generated a localized but formidable tornado. Amoung the mutants left outside, Kid Omega and Radian apparently didn't know which way to turn as the funnel descended on them, striking faster and more accurately than a cobra." pg 148

Radian? i read on wikipedia (not that it is trustworthy ..lol..) that "Radian joined the Omega Gang, led by fellow student Quentin Quire, who is also known as Kid Omega."

interesting..

Yeah, the book is awesome. It really makes the movie that much better :up:

If you are a Storm fan, I advise getting it - there is a lot of her.

The complexity behind Phoenix is well-explained, too. The character development rocks. Beast, Rogue, Pyro, Callisto and Kitty are definitely more fleshed out... among the usuals. The love between Jean and Scott is definitely there (in exchange for more Wolverine/Jean love). I haven't finished it yet, but I'm really enjoying it.

The book is really great - fleshes everyone out more. I'm a Wolverine fan (comic book and movie...NOT a Jackman fan, per se, though I like him as Logan), and really liked getting to hear some of that internal dialogue of his that will always be missing in the movies, but is there in the book. So, for Wolverine fans, the book is great. But it also adds a lot more - that first scene with Jean and her playmate, excellent! And it fills in some gaps, some questions - like why does Wolverine heal so fast when he's facing the Phoenix, or what really happened to Scott...and why. That part is still a bit vague, but I think readers will get the idea...

And yes - it enhanced the movie. I loved the movie, but the book filled in a few gaps for me...

das

The novel was definetly better than the film. There's a saying that the book a film is bases on is alwasy better than the film...seems to count it's true the other way around too. :p

As mentioned, there is definetly more character development, and there are some great passages that discribe the Phoenix powers. However, the novel also failed to come with a proper explaination of why Phoenix just wants to destroy everything. At the end of the battle, when she desintegrates everything on Alcatraz, Wolverine actually says she does it "because she can". :confused:

I especially liked the character of Rogue in this one, she was a lot stronger than she was portrayed in the movie. It was funny how she kept calling Logan "bub" and even said "sugah" every now and then.

One part in particular that I liked was the Danger Room sequence. In the movie, it would've been a great way to re-introduce the characters, but it was cut too short to even that, but it was a great read in the novel. :up:

WideAwake said:
As mentioned, there is definetly more character development, and there are some great passages that discribe the Phoenix powers. However, the novel also failed to come with a proper explaination of why Phoenix just wants to destroy everything. At the end of the battle, when she desintegrates everything on Alcatraz, Wolverine actually says she does it "because she can". :confused:

I didn't like the way they handled Jean. For one thing, the story completely took away her humanity. She completely lost her touch with the human and mortal world and did not care anymore. On the other hand, it built up too much on her phoenix-level TK and telepathy powers but failde to take into account the true powers that are Jean Grey, her compassion, love and humility, which were all shoved aside and instead we got this crazy freak that, yeah, is blowing up everything because she can.

Very disappointed in that regard. Like Wolvie said to Prof X, she never had a chance.

what do they explain about the phoenix?????

xii22_loop said:
well one thing different is that when Storm does her little funnel cloud outside of Jean's house, there is another mutant there instead of Arclight.

"Storm by contrast, went airborne, spinning herslef out of reach of the others left guarding the door. She held herself still in the heart of her vortex, while intensifying the surrounding winds to the point where she generated a localized but formidable tornado. Amoung the mutants left outside, Kid Omega and Radian apparently didn't know which way to turn as the funnel descended on them, striking faster and more accurately than a cobra." pg 148

Radian? i read on wikipedia (not that it is trustworthy ..lol..) that "Radian joined the Omega Gang, led by fellow student Quentin Quire, who is also known as Kid Omega."

interesting..
Thanks so much.

Originally posted by The Orignal Bamfer
If you are a Storm fan, I advise getting it - there is a lot of her.
I surely will get it. Did she do anything with electricty or anything? Damn! I wanna know but then again I don't because I wanna find out for myself....think they haver this novel at Barnes And Nobles?

javon said:
I surely will get it. Did she do anything with electricty or anything? Damn! I wanna know but then again I don't because I wanna find out for myself....think they haver this novel at Barnes And Nobles?

You get to read about a lot of what Storm does - a lot more than in the movie. Everytime she gets frustrated, the air changes. You read a lot about her personality and how the weather changes with it; it's cool.

After reading more, today, I find myself wanting some of the novel's awesome stuff in the movie. Like, at the cure center, when Bobby searches for Rogue. Pyro burns it down, much like in the movie. But the movie doesn't show Bobby turning it into a beautiful building of ice, and how Storm makes the air heavy with moisture so Bobby doesn't kill himself saving the center and it's patients. Good stuff :up:

OMG! That is freakin awsome! Now please tell me the right novel to get. Because their are versions like the "junior novelization" and stuff. I HAVE to get that.

javon said:
OMG! That is freakin awsome! Now please tell me the write novel to get. Because their are versions like the "junior novelization" and stuff. I HAVE to get that.

Get the regular novel, not the junior. The regular is easy to read, and much more descriptive than I'd imagine the junior to be. I just started reading the X3 novel yesterday, during a busy schedule, and I'm close to done today (I'm not a such a rapid reader, either). Anyone could likely finish it in a day if they have the time to. It's a great read and is worth it :up:

Okay. And I too can actually read it in a day..usaul books will be about 2 days..but this is X-men..lol.

What's the difference in the story between the Junior novel and the regular novel?

yeah what are the major differences, wasn't the junior novel more like the script that got reviewed by that aintitcoolnews.com guy.

from a book store..

hmm, heres from the part of jean, whats going on in her head on the way to the Golden Gate Bridge, maybe on what was described as Magneto's aircraft. Really does give more depth into her

"There was so much more darkness then light. The darkness was the natural state of things. And yet the alternative terrified her so much more, because it was a light that seemed to Jean to come from the fire in her soul, the trnscendent and all cosuming passion that had destroyed Scott and Xavier, and that terrified her so much more.
Itwould be so easy to drown. She felt that way with Annie, left that way at Alkali Lake.
She closed her eyes, opened them wide at the sound of a familiar voice, to behold another moment of memory, one from that very same night.
A game of pool, her against Scott, telekinesis versus optic blasts.
There had been tables in the back of the bar, in suprising good shape. She honestly couldn't tell how she'd gotten to her feet, much less made it the dozen slightly wobbly steps to the game room, but once she arrived there had been determined not to disgrace herself.
Scott always had that effect on her. Whenever she found herself in the riptide of her telepathy, his presence was like a sea anchor to her, steadying her aginst the fierce current, giving her the opportunity to collect herself and regain her inner focas." (pg 239).

More about Scott..

"He was strong and confident, tempered by the wounds and losses he'd suffered in his life, made whole by the love he felt for her. And she in return had felt an aching need that drove her around the table and into his arms for a kiss she wanted to last forever.
He'd looked at her just the same way when she'd killed him." pg 241

" "I can't turn off my optic blasts," he continued, "and you have access to more raw power than you ever imagined. Question is, my love, does the power control you? Or...? " (pg 244).

xii22_loop said:
"He was strong and confident, tempered by the wounds and losses he'd suffered in his life, made whole by the love he felt for her. And she in return had felt an aching need that drove her around the table and into his arms for a kiss she wanted to last forever.
He'd looked at her just the same way when she'd killed him." pg 241

This is perfect. Especially the last part. Perfect. Boy is she gonna be in for a surprise later on :D

The part on the book that describes how Jean was battling mutants, other then trying to kill them, she was also amplifying their powers to such a high level that they never achieved before. This part really got me thinking, gives explanation for how Professor X could do such a big mind jump across the ocean.
Additionally, theres one thing i wished we all had seen.
When Magneto frees prisoners from their truck cells, he could have realesed a girl named Ms. ____ Marvel. In the final battle Rogue could have shown up in one way or another. Point being Rogue gets into trouble with Marvel using her as a punching bag. At this point i keep imagining Phoenix/Jean looking down watching Rogue nearly die, and for her to give somekind of nod or eye glow, in which she amplifies Rogue's power to a degree in which Rogue is able to not only absorb MArvel's powers but keep them as her own.
Basically the whole, Phoenix can boost other mutants powers got me thinking, had she been there she could boost Rogue's powers to permanently absorb powers rather then temporarily(in the presenece of Phoenix only of course)

dude!! that is what i was always thinking. why not just have a ms marvel as one of the many mutants with magneto at the final battle. Rogue fights her, or even Angel grabs her up from being squashed by something then some mutant throws some at them, Angel drops rogue, and lands on Ms Marvel, rustling around, holds on too long with her bare hands. And swoosh, has absorbed some personality traits too so shes all imedately into her powers. When Wolverine goes at Magneto, and Beast attacks from behind, its Rogue who flies down and jabs Magneto with the cure darts. Pay back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"