• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

The Greatest Criminal Mind of Our Time: Nicholas Hoult IS Lex Luthor

I feel he would fit somewhere in between Hackman and Creepo (cant remember his name from SR).

Too much of a witty fast talker, I like the deeper, slow talking Lex that isnt a joke at all.

Tom-Hanks.jpg

Lex Luthor right there. :o

I have a few in mind for Lex that I think would be great.
Jason Isaacs
Brad Pitt
Bradley Cooper
Matthew McConaughey
Idris Elba
Tom Cruise.
Clancy brown.

Not necessarily these but I think that's the type they need to go after.
Cruise wouldn't do it, and even if he did, the price would be too high.

I have a few in mind for Lex that I think would be great.
Jason Isaacs
Brad Pitt
Bradley Cooper
Matthew McConaughey
Idris Elba
Tom Cruise.
Clancy brown.

Not necessarily these but I think that's the type they need to go after.
Cruise wouldn't do it, and even if he did, the price would be too high.

I was also thinking Adam Driver but not playing a silicon valley type character. A young, entitled, rich, hyper intelligent man that just wants more and more.

He isnt traditionally handsome but he is a babe and I could see him deliver menacing dialogue easily... if anything probably steal the show.. again.

I think we need to think of Lex as someone to be cast for multiple films, and maybe even crossover appearances, etc. — younger, cheaper (let’s be honest) but still with some name cache / acting chops.

That’s why I’m still sticking with this bunch (or similar), listed here from youngest to oldest:

- Jesse Plemons (Judas and the Black Messiah)
- Dane Dehaan (The Amazing Spider-Man 2)
- Billy Magnussen (No Time to Die)
- Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)
- Joel Edgerton (The Stranger)

Jesse Plemons, 34
51703-posts.article_md.jpg

Dane Dehaan, 36
tv-sky-atlantic-now-tv-zerozerozero-instant-expert-dane-dehaan-rebrand-lockup.jpg

Billy Magnussen, 37

MFL1.jpg

Riz Ahmed, 40
MV5BYzAyNGE1ZTYtMzU3NS00M2Q4LWI0YWEtMDllNTk1YWE5ZDIzL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjM4MTE0NzQ@._V1_.jpg

Joel Edgerton, 48
1216-GQ-FEJE01-01-Joel%2520-Edgerton-01.jpg

I could see Oscar Isaac (Dune) and maybe even Idris Elba (The Suicide Squad) but picks like Pitt or McConaughey seem too far-fetched. Could you actually imagine McConaughey suiting up in a mech suit as Lex? I know he spoke to Marvel at one point (according to some rumors, although I forget what character/franchise) but pretty sure that would have been a one-off villain role…which I don’t want for Lex.

Last edited:
Billy Magnussen is an interesting suggestion for Luthor:up:

I was also thinking Adam Driver but not playing a silicon valley type character. A young, entitled, rich, hyper intelligent man that just wants more and more.

He isnt traditionally handsome but he is a babe and I could see him deliver menacing dialogue easily... if anything probably steal the show.. again.
Elon Musk. Oh wait you said intelligent. :o

I think like guys like Plemons, Edgerton, DeHaan, albeit solid character actors, wouldn’t feel like a big enough presence, not broad or pompous enough, standing beside Cheetah and Gorilla Grodd in a DCU Justice League film.

I think Lex would benefit being played by an actor who can also play it big when needed, perhaps an actor with a decent amount of clout and celebrity too, like a Brad Pitt or McConnaughey. Though I would prefer if he was closer to Clark’s age, a man in his prime.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't want another Jessie Eisenberg type actor for Lex. I want Lex who has a strong presence, a booming voice, very much like a live action version of the Clancy Brown animated Lex.

Yeah, I don't want another Jessie Eisenberg type actor for Lex. I want Lex who has a strong presence, a booming voice, very much like a live action version of the Clancy Brown animated Lex.

With regards to DCAU Lex, though a part of me would love seeing a pitch perfect adaptation of that, played by a Mark Strong or something, I think it’d also feel a bit boring or false at this point.

If it were up to me, Lex would be like a Musk/Zuckerberg type tech giant, obviously, but with the respect and adoration that renaissance man Donald Glover commands, every sentence uttered about him containing the word “brilliant” or “genius”, and lastly mixed with a bit of Andrew Tate, a warped embodiment of the successful alpha. And maybe make him like 23, though he looks and carries himself like he’s 33, someone that every single guy on the planet feels inferior to, and someone the impressionable clout-chasing kids aspire to emulate, down to the shaved head look, someone who will be defended by legions of followers for whatever he does over that snowflake SJW Superman.

Last edited:
With regards to DCAU Lex, though a part of me would love seeing a pitch perfect adaptation of that, played by a Mark Strong or something, I think it’d also feel a bit boring or false at this point.

If it were up to me, Lex would be like a Musk/Zuckerberg type tech giant, obviously, but with the respect and adoration that renaissance man Donald Glover commands, every sentence uttered about him containing the word “brilliant” or “genius”, and lastly mixed with a bit of Andrew Tate, a warped embodiment of the successful alpha.

Elon Musk is a moron who made the mistake of buying Twitter and making it a cesspool because he got red pilled. Why would I want to see a Lex that is based on him? Trying to base Lex Luthor on "real life bad guy rich people" is what got us Jessie Eisenberg in the first place.

Elon Musk is a moron who made the mistake of buying Twitter and making it a cesspool because he got red pilled. Why would I want to see a Lex that is based on him? Trying to base Lex Luthor on "real life bad guy rich people" is what got us Jessie Eisenberg in the first place.

But I think the problem with Snyder and Eisenberg was all execution.

But I think the problem with Snyder and Eisenberg was all execution.

No one takes Elon Musk seriously. People spend all day dunking on him on his own social media platform that he paid a lot of money to tank. And isn't Andrew Tate the guy who got taken down by a teenager on Twitter and then got arrested afterwards?

Neither of these would make for a very good movie villain.

I don't think people are advocating for Lex to be a 1:1 of Musk, just the same as Trump, Zucks or Jobs but rather taking parts of them to create the ideal Lex that we can see is possible in real life based on the inspirations.

It wasn't that long ago that people were very pro Musk and didn't see him as this idiot that bought Twitter, he was someone selling the idea of a better future, self driving cars, better rockets all while under this guise that "maybe" he was the genius one that came up with all this... we know that isn't the case but the general public ate it up until more information came out over time.

Trump is much the same but with causing division in the world, being a billionaire all the while playing to the average Joes of the world, once again with the idea of creating a "better" America and as much as a horrible, racist, sexist bastard that he is... he still became the president and we all know how that played out.

If you take just these 2 ideas and smash them together with a bit of comic book you pretty much get an ideal Lex that feels all too real, and this is just looking at this idea simply.

I don't think people are advocating for Lex to be a 1:1 of Musk, just the same as Trump, Zucks or Jobs but rather taking parts of them to create the ideal Lex that we can see is possible in real life based on the inspirations.

It wasn't that long ago that people were very pro Musk and didn't see him as this idiot that bought Twitter, he was someone selling the idea of a better future, self driving cars, better rockets all while under this guise that "maybe" he was the genius one that came up with all this... we know that isn't the case but the general public ate it up until more information came out over time.

Trump is much the same but with causing division in the world, being a billionaire all the while playing to the average Joes of the world, once again with the idea of creating a "better" America and as much as a horrible, racist, sexist bastard that he is... he still became the president and we all know how that played out.

If you take just these 2 ideas and smash them together with a bit of comic book you pretty much get an ideal Lex that feels all too real, and this is just looking at this idea simply.

To me, if they take inspiration from the best comic book Lex stories and boil him down to his essence, he will have all the qualities that people hate about real life billionaires without the "oh, that is clearly modeled on Trump", or "oh, that is clearly modeled on Elon Musk".

Because trying too hard to ape a real life billionaire that people hate in order to be "relevant" runs the risk of (a, horribly dating the film in 20 years, and (b, while it is fun to dunk on Musk on social media and Trump did do a lot of damage to our social norms and democracy when he got into the Presidency, I feel they are too cartoonish and cringey than I would want Lex depicted in a film (which probably says something about the world we live in today).

To me, if they take inspiration from the best comic book Lex stories and boil him down to his essence, he will have all the qualities that people hate about real life billionaires without the "oh, that is clearly modeled on Trump", or "oh, that is clearly modeled on Elon Musk".

Because trying too hard to ape a real life billionaire that people hate in order to be "relevant" runs the risk of (a, horribly dating the film in 20 years, and (b, while it is fun to dunk on Musk on social media and Trump did do a lot of damage to our social norms and democracy when he got into the Presidency, I feel they are too cartoonish and cringey than I would want Lex depicted in a film (which probably says something about the world we live in today).

I don't even really see it as dunking on these people, that's not the angle I'm coming from when looking at these people as inspirations for Lex, its just we live in a time where we have tech billionaires owning a lot of the worlds new tech, the faces of these "inventors" becoming celebrities and a narcissistic billionaire lunatic president.

You don't need to look at them too hard to see if they were all in a blender that it would make for a comic book villain but its even more realistic than some would expect.

Lex should be very self absorbed
He should work out daily and he should be in the very best shape possible.

A germ-o-phobe that doesn't shake hands.
He wears gloves.

He should be Bald.

He loves big business but his first love should be the high tech, especially alien tech.

He should also be an inventor the creates gadgets that most would consider modern miracles.

He should be hyper intelligent ( on the level of a Tony Stark, but without the humor. )

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but Lex Luthor as a corrupt politician/CEO bores me to tears. I want an insane , unhinged mad scientist straight from the 50s B movies.

Call me crazy, but Lex Luthor as a corrupt politician/CEO bores me to tears. I want an insane , unhinged mad scientist straight from the 50s B movies.
Partly yes. But also the CEO of Lex-corp.
A serious and evil version of Tony stark.

Comic book writer Marv Wolfman pointed out that the mad scientist version of Lex Luthor was kind of a dumb character because if he was really a brilliant mastermind, why is he spending all that money on a green and purple battlesuit just to rob banks and get sent back to prison by Superman at the end of every issue? That version of Luthor just feels dated and Silver Age-y.

I don't think Lex should be a generic evil greedy businessman. It should be that the reason that he has his fortune is because he is one of the smartest scientists on the planet, and he uses that intellect to build success and wealth and amass power and to shape the world how he wants it to be. He should have the charisma of a Tony Stark, without being as funny or likeable. He should just have this presence to him that tells you why he is the most powerful man in Metropolis (or was until Superman entered the picture).

Last edited:
Lex should be a brilliant mad scientist and also the CEO of LexCorp. One without the other never works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"