The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Shannon's portrayal really raised a character that I think of as more of a B-lister Superman villain and made me think he really could be more of an A lister.

That's why Zod spat out that line saying, "I was born to be a warrior, Kal. Trained my whole life to hone my senses. Where did you train? On a farm?!!"

He pretty much was emphasizing his advantage, and during the battle Zod was on offense mostly, knocking Kal around like he was.

I liked that too. It was always weird to me in the comics that Kal's abilities had to develop over time, from the moment of his arrival to becoming adult. But then other Kryptonians would arrive, and after shorter exposure to the yellow sun, would have his abilities and already be on his level.

It wasn't that easy in Man of Steel. Kryptonians really had to adapt to the Earth's environment to get full access. Most of them couldn't handle it, so the shielding was used and they only had access to a few abilities. Zod, because of his determination and genetic programming, adapted to the environment completely and had everything. Though really, Zod was still in the process of adapting in the end.

Exactly, he had trained his whole life at mastering his senses, it came naturally to him so adapting to his new powers, while troubling, wasnt a huge thing like what Clark had to go through, as he was used to doing this sort of stuff.

I did like that the Kryptonians hadnt mastered their powers until Zod in the final fight, it made things seem much more real than in previous incarnations or even the comics were they know what to do with their powers straight away despite never having them before.

Here's this if it helps.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thats a ****ing awesome spot. I would never have noticed this otherwise, great stuff :up:.

I love how the World Engine just lifted up the cars and then BOOM! the cars are crushed.

Funnily enough there were bodies in that aswell :wow: i honestly just noticed it on my first viewing at home (4th view overall)

Oh and shannon was great ,another great performance in this film. I understood Zod's intentions and why he does what he does, the scene before the final fight sums it up really. I occasionally shout out " I will find him " and sing the score . I can't help it sometimes lol

Another thing that I liked about Shannon's performance as Zod was how he portrayed Zod differently regarding the time that we see him on Krypton and the time that we see him (33 years later) on Earth.

You can feel/tell that Zod is younger on Krypton by his performance alone in the way Zod talks and acts. I really enjoyed that. I was worried at first that Shannon would portray Zod the same, but he didn't thankfully.

This is morbid, but one thing I really love is Synder snuck quite a bit of actual death scenes for a PG-13 movie. In the scene were the BZ first attacks Metropolis I didn't notice until recently there are actual bodies being picked up and slammed down along with the cars and buses. And the scene where Namek basically cracks open the pilots skull and you see the brain matter disperse. He got a lot in there...lol

This is morbid, but one thing I really love is Synder snuck quite a bit of actual death scenes for a PG-13 movie. In the scene were the BZ first attacks Metropolis I didn't notice until recently there are actual bodies being picked up and slammed down along with the cars and buses. And the scene where Namek basically cracks open the pilots skull and you see the brain matter disperse. He got a lot in there...lol

To be honest, I really don't think of it as being morbid for appreciating the route that Snyder went with portraying the death toll in this film.

One of my biggest issues with "The Avengers" was how the Chitauri's invasion of New York City felt very tamed. You didn't really see people getting hurt or killed. It was just all assumed based on the buildings that were getting shot at.

But aside from that, you never really saw any one really getting hurt on screen. We just had a bunch of shots that featured people running about screaming or hiding, along with some buildings getting shot at, but that was about it.

That's why I could never really take the threat of the chitauri seriously, because it didn't come off as serious for me.

I feel like the one of the great ways to make people appreciate the moment when the hero finally defeats the villain(s) is by showing on what kind of carnage and death toll that the villain(s) could bring if they were left unchecked and unchallenged.

Heck, given that the world that we're presented in MOS is one where other heroes do exist, most notably Batman, I think it's safe to assume that had Clark not stood up to Zod and his officers, or had he not been successful in defeating them, then everyone on Earth would have been killed..including those heroes.

ya. i didn't pick that too during my cinema viewings. maybe it was too intense and the sound was quite annoying.

LOL

I think that really is all Shannon. His use of his facial muscles and of course his eyes is pretty amazing.

Another thing that I enjoyed about this film is that, for the first time since Superman 1, the film actually left the character at a place where there was hope that Clark Kent/Superman would find happiness within the near future.

Prior Superman films were cursed by the fact that they pretty much stuck Superman in the worst place that anyone could be in, and that's where a hero is not allowed to have a personal life of their own due to their duties as a hero, and the last film (SR) didn't do anything to make that better.

The films, for the most part, kept the status quo the same for the character, where you didn't really feel like there would be a new and upcoming journey for the character to explore soon afterwards like MOS did, let alone in a positive way.

With "Man of Steel", you have Clark finally taking the steps to establish himself in the traditional persona that everyone is more familiar with, in both Reporter and Hero personas, and he's ready to embark the rest of his life as Earth's hero while the chance for personal happiness in the form of his relationship with Lois holds great promise.

One thing I've grown to appreciate is the manner of Jonathon Kent's death. I was a bit shocked by it at first, but I've really grown to appreciate it and fact the film highlighted that moment really well IMO. You can see Cavill almost straining to keep from moving, and it's a pretty moving scene overall because although we can't see the death you know Clark can see it as clear as day.

The sacrifice of the two fathers to protect Kal/Clark is something that I think is overlooked because a lot of people just don't like that Jonathon died, but it's really a pivotal connection for the two fathers and this Superman's journey in life. Literally...both of his fathers gave their lives to protect him.

:o Nuh-uh CH. Jon Kent was a cold hearted sociopath that taught his son to always let people die, and then he commits suicide, but not before he tells Clark that he will never amount to anything in life. Man what a bad writer Goyer is. :whatever: :oldrazz: :word:

:o Nuh-uh CH. Jon Kent was a cold hearted sociopath that taught his son to always let people die, and then he commits suicide, but not before he tells Clark that he will never amount to anything in life. Man what a bad writer Goyer is. :whatever: :oldrazz: :word:
:lmao: Are you trying to beat my "pure unadulterated primo sarcasm" in the Wonder Woman thread?

Last edited:
I could never beat it ISS. But I got to show that I can at least compete. :yay:
You did a great job. :)

Listen I think Kent's sacrifice scene could have been handled a little better (I don't want to get into how right now) but all and all it's an effective scene with some really good acting from Cavill. And I'm glad Kent had doubts and fears like a real person.

Meh...It took a moment for the way it was presented to grow on me, but I like the process behind it. I wasn't a fan of it at all for a while, but it's really grown on me. I think it works in a good way...but it took a while. I really like the overall theme. It stays with you.

You did a great job. :)

Listen I think Kent's sacrifice scene could have been handled a little better (I don't want to get into how right now) but all and all it's an effective scene with some really good acting from Cavill. And I'm glad Kent had doubts and fears like a real person.

Cav-el and Pa Costner played off each other well even if it was a brief scene, and the only one the two had together in the film.

I will say this... My mom is a very compassionate and caring yet straight forward and practical woman. She does not suffer fools gladly and even when she is being helpful and offering advice, it's not sugar coated and can be quite blunt. And yet, I know that my mother would also be the one to march out towards the tornado because the family pet was still in the car. I KNOW THIS. That's who she is. So with a real world comparison in my life, I found that scene felt real to me. That being stated, I think more in the audience would have accepted the situation and it's climax if Jon had died while going to get a human being out of imminent danger.

lol...I would go back for my dog...lol

Yet, I couldn't understand how they left him in the first place...lol

Again, the presentation wasn't exactly right, but the theme is right on.

lol...I would go back for my dog...lol

Yet, I couldn't understand how they left him in the first place...lol

Again, the presentation wasn't exactly right, but the theme is right on.

I chalk leaving the dog in the car to the general chaos and limited amount of time going on. But that's me. Snyder overall did a masterful job (that's right MASTERFUL) of presenting a world where explosions of chaos happen and leave destruction and death in their aftermath. I enjoyed that. It makes Superman stand out as a something that brings things back to order for human beings AS SOON AS SUPER-HUMANLY POSSIBLE. Like I wrote in another thread, the truth is if Superman is showing up in your town, things are not good. Things are bad! **** is going down! Now with VFX being what they are we can give his adventures a nice patina of reality.

I think we all agree that the scene didn't quite come out the way it should have but it is still effective non the less. I still find the scene gut wrenching when Cavill screams.

I think we all agree that the scene didn't quite come out the way it should have but it is still effective non the less. I still find the scene gut wrenching when Cavill screams.

The scene makes my 37 year old ass weep like a 5 year old that (SPOILER ALERT! :oldrazz:) just watched Bambi's mom die. The Zimmer score and how it builds only to go soft instead of louder, the way Costner just put's his hand up, and Cav-el's face, his overall reaction, it always tugs at my heartstrings. But, like my grandmother told me when she took me to see S:TM '78 (and tells me everytime we watch it), "You see... Even Superman cries. It's okay to cry."

The scene makes my 37 year old ass weep like a 5 year old that (SPOILER ALERT! :oldrazz:) just watched Bambi's mom die. The Zimmer score and how it builds only to go soft instead of louder, the way Costner just put's his hand up, and Cav-el's face, his overall reaction, it always tugs at my heartstrings. But, like my grandmother told me when she took me to see S:TM '78 (and tells me everytime we watch it), "You see... Even Superman cries. It's okay to cry."
"Even Superman cries," that's beautiful. I think Zimmer might be the MVP of Man of Steel. I think his Superman theme and the entire score are utterly brilliant. My 18 year old nephew said "I could listen to this music all day."

"Even Superman cries," that's beautiful. I think Zimmer might be the MVP of Man of Steel. I think his Superman theme and the entire score are utterly brilliant. My 18 year old nephew said "I could listen to this music all day."

I don't know if Snyder chose Zimmer, or if Nolan sort of said "this is THE guy" or what, but he handled the score with such a deft touch. He really has had year of released that show off his range. I mean compare MOS' score and TWELVE YEARS A SLAVE's score. One is bombast and driving like nothing I've heard in a while. The work in TYAS is so subtle and yet ingratiating, but what's important is that both help to sell and enhance the narratives and overall plot's of their respective films. I mean, the music that comes up when Faora starts with her "You're weak, son of El..." shtick and starts to go into overdrive when she crashes into the vault is like it's own character. I can't think of many scores this year that stuck with me the way MOS' did.

I do remember seeing quite a few folks in my theater crying when Jonathan died on screen.

Heck, when my mother saw Jonathan's death scene, the first thing she said was..."He really loved his son" followed by some stuff regarding on how despite Clark angrily told him that he wasn't his real dad, Jonathan still gave it his all to protect Clark.

Sometimes I wonder if that guilt of having told Jonathan that he wasn't his real dad (in a fit of rage) just before he died and before they could reconcile haunted Clark afterwards. I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"