The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by Thread Manager, Jul 12, 2013.

1. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

In real life we all at one time or another say things to people we care dearly for that we know the moment they come out of our mouths has hurt them.

2. Smashlilman

Smashlilman Ouch!!!!

Dear god I went to see Twelve years a slave this passed weekend. That movie made me self identify with the main character so much that I felt as if I was kidnaped and made a slave. that movie was more terrifying than most Thrillers. I've almost never ever cry during any type of movie but Jesus its like that movie forced me to cry and Zimmers music just amplified it.

3. sf2

sf2 Well-Known Member

Indeed. Hopefully they keep the positive tone at the sequel.

4. Smashlilman

Smashlilman Ouch!!!!

That was really my only one of my few minor problems with Man of Steel. Instead of being an upbeat positive movie with sad event occurring though out it. It was a dull drab(not the right world) movie with a series of sad events.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  5. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

I couldnt agree more with this, The Avengers and MCU films in general never come across to me like anyone is in danger, because they simply wont show it. It annoys me and its one of the reasons the villains never come across as threatening and why I never feel the heroes are in danger in their movies. I'm not asking for blood and guts, but show a few people getting injured or killed and The Chitauri come across as a much more credible threat.

MOS showed real consequences of such a thing happening and showed that Superman cant be everywere at once and save everyone. People will die while he is protecting Earth and there is nothing he can do about it. It just gives the movie a much more realistic feel and made Zod an actual threat to both the hero and the planet.

6. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

You and I had a similar experience then. I had tears flowing like Victoria's Falls by the end. The best film of the year.

7. The Sage

The Sage The World's Finest

Watching Zod and Supes' aerial battle. I just realized there's a STAR Labs building that gets passed.

8. Jaxon

Jaxon Well-Known Member

Yep, you have to show death to give villains of this type credibility as a threat. Forget the "save everyone" garbage, people got to die. Villains got to do what villains got to do.

9. herolee10

herolee10 No More Miracles

On another note...

I was definitely a fan of how Zod looked in this shot from the film:

[​IMG]

The look on his face; maybe it's just only me that thought of it this way, but I feel like this was the first time in the film where Zod truly embraced being a villain/a monster. Up until this point, Zod had his own justifications for doing the things that he did throughout the film... where his sole purpose was to rebuild Krypton.

Once that dream was indefinitely out of the window, I feel like Zod had a mental breakdown and finally embraced being a true villain...though of course I wouldn't say that he thought of himself as a villain even at this point, but it was here where he truly embraced his anger and dark side in the film imho.

And it was at this moment where Zod's face really emitted that this is a guy who people should hope that they would never have to cross paths with.

10. MrsKent26

MrsKent26 Whatever.

Indeed. When he said "I'm going to make them suffer, Kal," I believed him.

11. manofsteel4life

manofsteel4life Well-Known Member

Loved the way he says "my soul......THAT....IS WHAT YOU HAVE TAKEN FROM MEEE!

12. Aunty bobo

Aunty bobo New Member

I loved those parts too!
    Hi guys, im new here, plus im new to forums. So bear with me....
    So i watched man of steel for the first time today,rented on dvd, really loved it! Im a big fan of Henry Cavill, gosh hes talented and gorgeous! 😄 i think he really did the character justice.
    ...... So anyways, my cousin and i were watching m.o.s and in the part where after baby Kal gets sent to earth, and his dad and wotshisface Zot were fighting, and buildings were blowing up......and after some big explosion theres this image of a pair of glasses/spectacles standing vertically superimposed into the scene. I had to rewind it and pause it so my cuz could see it too. Did anyone else spot it? And if so, does it look like glasses or something else? Ermm, sorry i couldnt pinpoint the actual part. It just seemed like a weird thing to see at the moment.
    Im looking forward to getting the dvd for xmas 😉 and cant wait for the next movie yay!

13. Fizicks

Fizicks Well-Known Member

Spot on, this is exactly how I felt. Even though I grew up on the Superman animated series, I mainly read Marvel when I got into comics, so even though I enjoy both DC and Marvel, I consider myself more of a Marvel person. With that said, I did not enjoy Avengers very much, but absolutely loved Man of Steel. Why? One of the main reasons being the final fight scene in the Avengers- I actually found it quite boring. Nothing seemed to be at stake. Sure, an alien invasion is taking place, but the Chitauris are being taken out by the heroes like chumps, and I don't see anyone ever being in any danger. In Man of Steel however, I was feeling really anxious as I was watching the final fight scene. I was invested, because I actually feel many lives were at stake here!

If the events of Avengers or Man of Steel happened in real life, the death toll would've both been very high. You don't get that feeling in the Avengers though. It was so dumbed down, as if it was a cartoon in real life. This was probably the reason it was more popular with the masses, but I personally didn't like it.

14. Fizicks

Fizicks Well-Known Member

And in reply to the thread topic, my absolute favorite part of the movie was the last 2 minutes- Clark's voiceover explaining to Ma Kent about his new job, as he's riding his bicycle to the Daily Planet, putting on his glasses, and meeting the Daily Planet staff. I had a huge smile on my face throughout the whole thing.

15. Dave McFly

Dave McFly Zemeckis Cube!

me too Fiz, me too loved the music that played over it and when it segwayed into the end credits I love that track "what are you going to do when your not saving the world".

16. AVEITWITHJAMON

We differ on one thing in that I did like The Avengers, but again, I never felt the danger in the final battle and it brings the movie down, especially on repeat viewings. There is no tension, no thinking they may not get through this, things I did feel with MOS.

The Marvel movies are really starting to feel unappealing to me, so things like MOS are welcome.

17. Hulk

Hulk Well-Known Member

Agreed, AVEITWITHJAMON.

18. sf2

sf2 Well-Known Member

Indeed. Love it.

19. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

Where were you trained? On a Farm?!

20. NewYorkSpider

I loved during the Superman/Zod fight when Superman flew off the ground horizontally. He didn't just stand up, he came off the ground using flight.

21. John-An

John-An Wonder Fingers!

Indeed. An awesome scene.

22. AVEITWITHJAMON

^Little things like that were done brilliantly in the movie. It just adds so much to the character and movie IMO and makes it all so much more realistic, I mean, why WOULD you walk somewhere when you had the ability to float there?

23. I SEE SPIDEY

I SEE SPIDEY Well-Known Member

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

24. AVEITWITHJAMON

^I just love that they thought of things like that as well, makes me look forward to what little things they have in store for the sequel.

25. kguillou

kguillou Well-Known Member

Not to get too off topic, but I always felt the the Battle of New York in Avengers was missing a key element to the fight: a boss fight. Like, all The Avengers were doing was pretty much battling hundreds and hundreds of chitauri henchmen but I really think the battle needed a big boss. I would've loved to have seen some kind of toe-to-toe showdown between Captain America and a Chitarui leader who could pose a real physical threat. That would have really made the battle complete for me and I felt it was something very lacking. Loki was supposedly their "leader" but he was no physical threat at all. How awesome would it have been to have big, badass Chitarui boss take on all six avengers at once and mop the floor with them? That would have really raised the stakes I think.

That's what I REALLY appreciated about MOS. We got epic boss fights in this that really raised the stakes and made us question if our hero was going to overcome this.