The "Little Things" You Appreciated/Loved Thread - Part 1

PHP:
I think Shannon was very good and believable, I liked that he wasn't a stereotypical villain. But I definitely agree that the repeated "I will find him" was over the top. Saying it 3-4x kind of took the intensity out of it.

Couldn't disagree more with that, the repetition while he and Lara stare eachother down. It's like he KNOWS he's ****ed, but he's desperate, trying to go out with a bang, trying to scare her AND make himself feel better, then SCREAMS it out because he knows it's over and he's kind of broken.

The repetition added a lot of character. Saying or yelling it once would've been the stereotypical villain thing.

People often put Smallville down (and I know it had some major flaws), but some of the actors on that show (NOT Welling) were great. Callum Blue, for example, really nailed Zod in my opinion.

The Zod that sounded like he 'had peanut butter stuck in his mouth' as many put it? I don't know...

Not sure if anyone else caught the references or not, but I'll throw them out there:

- Superman moving fast and avoiding the gunfire of the military jets in Smallville: "Faster than a speeding bullet".

- Superman getting hit by the train at the end of the Smallville battle: "More powerful than locomotive"

- Superman being able only to leap at first before figuring out how to fly: The super-leap, and the famous "Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound" line.

yeah that was amazing... didn't think in that way...

The cape scene was so emotional made me cry the 7 times i saw....

I liked how some of the dialogue from Zod and other Kryptonians was intentionally wooden. They're genetically modified to have no morality and who knows what else. It was reflected in the script, which was a nice touch.

Also, the Wilhelm scream is in this movie. :) When Faora gets onto the cargo plane a crew member falls out the back and you hear the famous scream.

PHP:

Couldn't disagree more with that, the repetition while he and Lara stare eachother down. It's like he KNOWS he's ****ed, but he's desperate, trying to go out with a bang, trying to scare her AND make himself feel better, then SCREAMS it out because he knows it's over and he's kind of broken.

The repetition added a lot of character. Saying or yelling it once would've been the stereotypical villain thing.

But he also said them differently each time with a different word eg "I will find him Lara", and with a different inflexion. It covered a full range of intense emotion he was going through. Loved that bit.

But he also said them differently each time with a different word eg "I will find him Lara", and with a different inflexion. It covered a full range of intense emotion he was going through. Loved that bit.

Exactly.

People will probably agree, but I actually think this is good acting. Obviously, he's trying to intimidate Lara, and isn't sure how to do so. So he keeps saying the same thing over and over again, trying to get into her head.

Again, I don't think the film was trying to depict him as intimidating, just determined. I feel like Zod was most intimating and genuinely scary when he's threatening Earthlings, not other Kryptonians. And I feel like that's an intentional choice, to show him as a menace to the people of earth, but "just another Kryptonian."

I think this is a controversial directorial decision, but one that worked with me. But of course I read the interviews of Shannon, which stated that he was more of an anti-hero. People expecting a more intentionally vile villain were probably disjointed. But I loved Shannon's portrayal of Zod.

He's angry, sad, stoic, likeable to an extent, but ultimately dangerous.

We can get a darker, more hateable villains in the sequel. But as someone loyal to his idea of "restoring Krypton" he fought for his ideals. A hero on the opposite side of justice, I guess ;)

I loved the flashback with little Clark running around in the cape. I loved the Daily Planet ending too.

This was one of my favorite scenes. When Clark said that his father never got to see who he became and Martha said that he always saw it. Then they showed the shot of young Clark running around in the red cape.

One of the things that i liked but is actually one of hte scenes that a lot of people don't like is when Pa Kent sacrifices himself. I understand peoples complaint that he died to save a dog, etc but that isn't how I saw the scene. He specifically tells Clark to get his mother to the overpass. I'm not disagreeing with people who say Pa kent sacrifice himself for Clark's secret, but I think there is more going on there than just his identity.

I fully believe that you should have Michael Shannon scream at the top of his lungs like a maniac at least once in any project he appears in, he is just that damn intense. Also, I found Shannon's performance to be very believable. He was subdued most of the film (like a soldier should be) but had a temper and would explode with rage and frustration from time to time. At the end of the movie, he just completely loses his mind and becomes a rabid dog. I though his acting was very good and multi-dimensional. I certainly bought him being the supreme commander of the Kryptonian military much more than Terence Stamp (who came across as more of a pompous, arrogant, aristocrat than an actual soldier).

You hit the nail on the head. Stamp indubitably offered a great performance, but if we're talking about the portrayal of a Kryptonian general, Shannon was far more believable in that particular role.

You hit the nail on the head. Stamp indubitably offered a great performance, but if we're talking about the portrayal of a Kryptonian general, Shannon was far more believable in that particular role.

Stamp was just a criminal, not a general. Shannon was a general, purposeful, defiant, unrelenting to his cause. A cause he would see as just almost. An individual created to ensure that his kind lives.

I loved when Jor-El told of the natural birth, Zod has the pause of disbelief and uses the word heresy. Damn it was so intense.

One of the things that i liked but is actually one of hte scenes that a lot of people don't like is when Pa Kent sacrifices himself. I understand peoples complaint that he died to save a dog, etc but that isn't how I saw the scene. He specifically tells Clark to get his mother to the overpass. I'm not disagreeing with people who say Pa kent sacrifice himself for Clark's secret, but I think there is more going on there than just his identity.
I agree, I just wish with the way they'd shot it they actually showed a shot from the real distance between the overpass and where Jonathan Kent was. I think if you study the scene there there is quite a substantial distance between where Clark is and where Jonathan is, it's just with all the close-up handheld shooting they do it makes it appear like they're 20 ft away, and it's just like 'take 2 seconds and grab him Clark!'.

That said though, I think this is one of the better scenes of the film, Costner and Cavill really sell it. And I agree with Mark Waid who thought it was that good, he wishes he wrote it. That's high praise.

Some times I wonder if another potential reason why Jonathan had Clark stay with the people at the overpass was because of him thinking that, in the worst case scenario, if something bad were to hit all of the people there, then Clark would be able to save them if needed be.

I agree, I just wish with the way they'd shot it they actually showed a shot from the real distance between the overpass and where Jonathan Kent was. I think if you study the scene there there is quite a substantial distance between where Clark is and where Jonathan is, it's just with all the close-up handheld shooting they do it makes it appear like they're 20 ft away, and it's just like 'take 2 seconds and grab him Clark!'.

That said though, I think this is one of the better scenes of the film, Costner and Cavill really sell it. And I agree with Mark Waid who thought it was that good, he wishes he wrote it. That's high praise.

Mark liked the pa sacrifice scene ? Weird I assumed that was one of his complaints.
I personally thought it was heartbreakingly fascinating that johnathan loved his son so much and was so afraid that people wouldn't understand Clark and the government would take him away that he died for his son.
Powerful stuff. But I wish it had been executed more in depth. It's still a good scene and whenever I watch Cavill screaming dad at the end... Henry sells it so well.
I just wish that moment had been extended and longer.

More of young Clark in the sequel, give him some real dialogue this time.

^ I'm actually really interested to see if they continue the smallville flashback scenes in future films.
It's an excuse to hire Costner back and if we get flashbacks in the next film(s), it gives the audience a more fleshed out and more well rounded view of Clark's early life.

Mark liked the pa sacrifice scene ?

Mark Waid:

And I think you’d be surprised to find that I loved everything about Jonathan Kent. I loved his protectiveness, even when it made him sound like an *******. (“Maybe.”) And I loved, loved, loved that scene where Clark didn’t save him, because Goyer did something magical–he took two moments that, individually, I would have hated and he welded them together into something amazing. Out of context, I would have hated that Clark said “You’re not my real dad,” or whatever he says right before the tornado. And out of context, I would have loathed that Clark stood by frozen with helplessness as the tornado killed Jonathan. But the reason that beat worked is because Clark had just said “You’re not my dad,” the last real words he said to Pa. Tearful Clark choosing to go against his every instinct in that last second because he had to show his father he trusted him after all, because he had to show Pa that Pa could trust him and that Clark had learned, Clark did love him–that worked for me, hugely. It was a very brave story choice, but it worked. It worked largely on the shoulders of Cavill, who sold it. It worked as a tragic rite of passage. I kinda wish I’d written that scene.

http://thrillbent.com/blog/man-of-steel-since-you-asked/

I also thought Cavill sold the scene. That's why I liked his performance.

This is just something small I wondered about. The bar scene, would a guy that small really start a fight with a guy as big as Henry? Take away the powers, it looked like Henry could have eaten the guy, of put his hand on his head while he swings wildly at the air.

Now that I really think about it, Superman's head snapping back after getting hit with a machine gun felt like Snyder was taking a shot at Superman Returns.

When they started shooting I thought for sure the bullets would just bounce off him like Superman Returns, but Snyder handled it much better here.

Now that I really think about it, Superman's head snapping back after getting hit with a machine gun felt like Snyder was taking a shot at Superman Returns.

When they started shooting I thought for sure the bullets would just bounce off him like Superman Returns, but Snyder handled it much better here.

I feel the same, it showed the realism behind superstrength. They can tank the attacks, but they will feel the force.

Yeah I loved that, he absolutely got the power level nailed down. I also like how when they smash into things it sort of jolts them a bit.

And I really love how intense heat vision hurts and takes time to readjust. I get the sense he is also blind when it is on full rage which is sweet.

And I really love how intense heat vision hurts and takes time to readjust. I get the sense he is also blind when it is on full rage which is sweet.

I'm not sure if they're totally blind (just because Superman managed to track Zod's swinging girder okay), but I bet it does make it harder to see.

I'm glad that people didn't get upset as much in the film having Clark casually drink a bottle of Beer. I remember on how there were actually a group of people who were pissed off that Clark was allowed to drink beer in SR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"