The Lone Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
This looks a a little better than I was expecting. We'll see...

Armie Hammer's name isn't recognizable. Nobody in the general public knows who he is. Maybe if the film is a hit his name wiill be but not at the moment. Keira Knightley's name didn't make it into the credits of the first Pirates of the Caribbean trailer either.

But Keira Knightley wasn't playing the title character.

When Thor came out, Chris Hemsworth was still billed first on posters and in the credits. It wasn't Anthony Hopkins or Natalie Portman. It's not like Hemsworth was a big star. He was probably less known than Armie Hammer is now.

I don't think people are suggesting that Hammer has to be first though, but just that he should be before the title with Depp, since he is the title character after all.

Depp is basically one of the biggest people in entertainment, period. If he's in something they will pimp the **** out of him. Laurence Olivier could come back from the grave to do a lead role and Depp would still have his name over his.

this teaser made it look like a normal action movie. but this will be big in scope. i wouldnt be suprised if there is a lot fantasy.

they couldnt show a lot since they filmed the big train action last week.

Depp is basically one of the biggest people in entertainment, period. If he's in something they will pimp the **** out of him. Laurence Olivier could come back from the grave to do a lead role and Depp would still have his name over his.
this

Depp and Smith are on another level.

Just saw it. They don't reveal much or go into Tonto or the Ranger's origins, only show them stopping the lead villain from his crazy scheme.

When Thor came out, Chris Hemsworth was still billed first on posters and in the credits. It wasn't Anthony Hopkins or Natalie Portman. It's not like Hemsworth was a big star. He was probably less known than Armie Hammer is now.

Maybe the poster but watch the Thor trailers. His name (nor anyone else actually) is anywhere.

Looks decent. No fantasy elements so far. I prefer that.

boring teaser.

Disney is hidding the comedy from Depp. but its there IMO

The shot under the train says you are right.

Except that was probably supposed to be an intense Cape Fear Max Cady under the car like moment, if it instead read as funny, it's probably because of the bird on his head.

I can't say how Hammer is in the role just yet, but he can do an action scene but good.

The trailer lost focus half way through.

Depp's voiceover dialogue sounds like something that should be about the relationship between the Lone Ranger and Tonto.

The opening voiceover is about the train and controlling space/time?

There's no context so we have no idea what it's supposed to read as yet.

There's no context so we have no idea what it's supposed to read as yet.

Good trailers give you some context( I don't mean the entire plot).

MOS has voiceovers about being the man he wants to become and we mostly Clark Kent leading to Superman.

This trailer is like two different trailers stitched together. One about the over arching plot and one about the LR and Tonto.

The trailer lost focus half way through.

Depp's voiceover dialogue sounds like something that should be about the relationship between the Lone Ranger and Tonto.

The opening voiceover is about the train and controlling space/time?

It doesn’t really lose focus if you can discern what you’re looking at.

Controlling space/time as it's explained is controlling the railroad, by doing this you have power. Obviously the bad guys will pursue this power. Someone has to stop them, cut to Tonto pulling Reid (i.e.: a wounded Ranger) out of the boxed canyon, and guiding him to reinvent himself as a masked man/hero. They come to town - kick ass - and try to save the train.
Pretty focused and straight forward, even in a few seconds tells a story.

Oh and Tonto at some point is captured, and channels his crow spirit guide.

These things are meant to entice, not give you everything.

Last edited:
But Keira Knightley wasn't playing the title character.

I don't think people are suggesting that Hammer has to be first though, but just that he should be before the title with Depp, since he is the title character after all.

She did play the lead character though.

She did play the lead character though.

Yeah, but her name wasn't "Pirates of the Carribbean".

The title "The Lone Ranger" IS the name of the lead character, and that's who Armie Hammer is playing, and the film is ultimately about him. Therefore he should at least be before the title even if he isn't first billed.

It doesn’t really lose focus if you can discern what you’re looking at.

Controlling space/time as it's explained is controlling the railroad, by doing this you have power. Obviously the bad guys will pursue this power. Someone has to stop them, cut to Tonto pulling Reid (i.e.: a wounded Ranger) out of the boxed canyon, and guiding him to reinvent himself as a masked man/hero. They come to town - kick ass - and try to save the train.
Pretty focused and straight forward, even in a few seconds tells a story.

The first half does make sense. Power and control of the rail versus the old horse etc.

The line about wearing mask make no freaking sense to the first half though. So it still doesn't link. If they lost Tonto's voice over then yeah, what you're saying would work. But that's not what is there.

It's some generic lines that say more about Tonto and LR than what this specific trailer is talking about.

These things are meant to entice, not give you everything.
I specifically said it shouldn't tell the plot

Last edited:
I just re-watched the trailer, and what did I notice? In the credits listing at the end, Depp's the only one that gets his name before the title.
The title "The Lone Ranger" IS the name of the lead character, and that's who Armie Hammer is playing, and the film is ultimately about him. Therefore he should at least be before the title even if he isn't first billed.

Is it really that new or unexpected? People have been calling this and joking about this since the film was first announced. - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=273747&page=17

tontomovielogolarge.jpg

Last edited:
The first half does make sense. Power and control of the rail versus the old horse etc.

The line about wearing mask make no freaking sense to the first half though. So it still doesn't link. If they lost Tonto's voice over then yeah, what you're saying would work. But that's not what is there.

It's some generic lines that say more about Tonto and LR than what this specific trailer is talking about.

I specifically said it shouldn't tell the plot
It doesn't tell the plot, it hints at it.

As far as the Tonto voice over and shot of them surveying their world, it hints at their relationship , and what the hero must do and become, in the face of what's established in the first half, ...cut to all the shots of them around the train.
For a series of quick shots and soundbites, It's pretty focused and straight-forward, how did it lose you?
There is plenty there, but it's hints, not the whole story.

Plus this is the first of many to come, by the time the last one is shown, you or someone will probably be complaining they showed to much and told the whole story.

Last edited:
I don't know. Looks okay I guess, but nothing that isn't already being done on Hell on Wheels.

It doesn't tell the plot, it hints at it.

As far as the Tonto voice over and shot of them surveying their world, it hints at their relationship , and what the hero must do and become, in the face of what's established in the first half, ...cut to all the shots of them around the train.
For a series of quick shots and soundbites, It's pretty focused and straight-forward, how did it lose you?
There is plenty there, but it's hints, not the whole story.

No it isn't.

It's separated by two distinct voices.

I not disagreeing with anything you're saying about those visuals and voiceover mean to the images they run over.

I'm saying they don't belong in the same trailer. The first half of the trailer isn't about the LR and Tonto. They don't even appear in it the first half. The only constant visual is the train and the actual train isn't the enemy. The guy wanting power and shooting up that board room is.

You just see them attacking the train, but the first voice ends taking about "controlling the rails..."
Tonto's voiceover has nothing to do with the only constant visual. He's talking about mask for some reason.( I know why of course..but still)

Last edited:
Trailer looks amazing, loving the visuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"