The Look of the Turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.
4? That's tiny. Okay maybe 7 is a lot, but if you want a hulking turtle. It's really not that tall, if average height is around six feet.

Most times the turtles are between five and six feet. It gets kind of strange how they are all the exact height in the TV shows. They did that to save money and time though.

6 feet is still too tall. According to the RPG : TMNT and other strangness, the Mirage turtles were from 4'6 to 5ft, and the Archie Sourcebook measured the turtles to be 5'8.

Truth be told, I would do away with the three fingers. In the original concept art, the turtles actually had normal (if clawed) hands.

6 feet is still too tall. According to the RPG : TMNT and other strangness, the Mirage turtles were from 4'6 to 5ft, and the Archie Sourcebook measured the turtles to be 5'8.

Yes, but this is an opinion thread. A bit of height difference helps characterization. There's a lot of fan art out there of a hulking turtle (usually Raphael), and it's a pretty good look.

Yeah, thats true. But I think a medium or smaller size would probably be more acurate. I think being too big and muscular would limit their stealth and skill as a ninja.

I never really paid attention to the height difference. I did kinda notice they each had different skin tones, especially with the 80's action figures. Leo was a dark green, Ralph was light green, Mike was a jade green, and Don was brown.

I assume they did that to appeal to kids. Certainly worked on me. Otherwise, they'd be too similar, and kids might not buy four of them. But you can notice that they are the exact same size. Apparently they did that so the parts could be interchangeable.

I think you could get away with 7 feet though. But not much more. And, then, this is the series that has Leatherhead sneaking around, and he's like ten feet tall (or bigger, depending on the medium).

So, I'd say, Michelangelo below average height, Donatello and Leonardo being average height (or slightly above for the latter) and Raphael being above average height. But that's just me. I have no idea what they will do. Hell, with these people, they might not even be turtles much longer.

I'd actually rather Raph be the 2nd shortest or so, and Don be the tallest, with Leo next and then Raph and then Mike.

I always picture Raph to be the Wolverine of the group, so small and stocky, and Don to be the lanky brainy one.

I'd actually rather Raph be the 2nd shortest or so, and Don be the tallest, with Leo next and then Raph and then Mike.

I always picture Raph to be the Wolverine of the group, so small and stocky, and Don to be the lanky brainy one.

I can kind of see that for Raphael. I wouldn't be opposed to that. Though I do like hulking turtle too.

Funny you say that Spitcurl, because in the Mirage Comics Ralph was 4'6, and Don was 5ft. Leo was 4'9, and Mike was 4'8.

You sure about those heights? 4'6"? They'd get eaten by gators in the sewers.

Yeah, that's whats on their complete profile in TMNT & Other Strangness RPG Source book. The turtles were really short in their early comic days. But they still could take down an 8ft Triceraton.

It also lists Splinter as being 5ft, April is 5'8, Casey, 6'1, Baxter 5'8, and Shredder 5'10.

Archie has all of the turtles as being 5'8, Shredder as 6ft, and Splinter as 4ft ( not really sure abouit splinter, I have to dig through the bins tobe sure. )

I'd like to see something akin to this. An eastern/Japanese feel, with each turtle having his own look, and a more turtle like appearance.

TMNT-redesign-fanart.jpg

Interesting designs.

http://cghub.com/images/view/89461/

313_large.jpg

http://cghub.com/images/view/83577/

288_large.jpg

http://cghub.com/images/view/83576/

956_large.jpg

I really like those distinct styles for the turtles. Maybe slightly overdone but I like the idea.

this to the hundred thousand trillion, its absolutely perfect. they still look like classic tmnt, without looking goofy or cartoony.
looks like the raph design from 'fight the foot' took inspiration from this too.

The Mike one is a bit over done but Raph looks amazing.

I'm starting to like designs in the bandanas. What do you think, plain or stylish?

this to the hundred thousand trillion, its absolutely perfect. they still look like classic tmnt, without looking goofy or cartoony.
looks like the raph design from 'fight the foot' took inspiration from this too.

It's a nitpick, but I don't like that Leonardo's nostrils are covered.

I'd like to see something akin to this. An eastern/Japanese feel, with each turtle having his own look, and a more turtle like appearance.

TMNT-redesign-fanart.jpg

I really like those, but Leonardo's necklace would have to go

I wouldn't really mind if there were little tweaks here and there that further differentiated the TMNT, but I don't want these tweaks to go overboard. I still want the characters and how they generally have always looked to still be recognizable. I understand this is a new interpretation and that new things can and should be tried, but I think there's a right way to do it and a totally wrong way to do it.

As a fan of the Turtles films from the '90s, I loved the live-action animatronic costumes, but I really think that CG may be the best way to go for this film. With everything that can be done with CGI these days and how realistic the TMNT can be made to look, I see no reason to go back and use a style that was already used twenty years ago. Would make it a lot easier to have some epic battles, too.

Last edited:
Just reposting this...

http://gloooscap.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2gldqg

tmnt_by_gloooscap.jpg

After looking at that art by nebezial, I just realized that he had each of their elbow pads match the color of their mask. I think that would be a good idea to make them look a little bit different from what we usually see.

Manuel Augusto Dischinger Moura's designs are nice too. Though, I'd probably wouldn't want to see Mikey look that wild/random and Leo's necklace could be a little smaller so it doesn't cause any problems in battle. Anyway, clothing that reflecting their personalities/tastes would be cool.

Hopefully, they won't look too different from this.

And I like the idea of giving each Turtle something different to wear. Throw in some Ninja gear, instead of just shoulder and knee pads. I like Leo in this artwork, just looks amazing. The rest not so much. I just want more emphasis on the Ninja part.

And I absolutely love the design of Raphael in this picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"