The Look of the Turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.
a mix of both because turtles are not apes lol

they are green flesh so think of the tharks in john carter while they were fine if you mix practical and cgi it will look great

While back I sketched out Leo.

leonardo_sketch_by_fuzzydrawings-d3hs5rz.jpg

Personally, I think that the turtles in the first movie is the definitive look. I'm not really liking the deviations I'm seeing here. I understand that 20 years later, people want to see something new, but there's a fine line between doing something new for the sake of it, and doing something new to improve (thats not to say I'm trying to tute my own horn or anything. I was literally just mindlessly doodling when I made that image).

Something close to this would be perfect imo. I have always prefered white eyes instead of the pupil ones, amd I don't want the overall design to be too busy

I would like the turtles to look similar to the live action films, but without pupil.

I hope they aren't CGI.

They will be more than likely. You kind of have to if you want them to perform crazy ninja ****.

You can do a lot more with CGI. And I'll give this much to Michael Bay, the CGI is usually pretty good.

As far as the design of the characters I think it should definitely be based on the design from the Mirage Comics. I love those looks.

As far as the coloring of the characters, I think they should go with a very dark green, and also dark colors for the headbands. And for the headbands, just to set it apart from previous incarnations and add some originality... I think it would be cool if they had some black just around the eyeholes. That would also make the eyes pop some more, visually.

As far as the CGI, I heard that they will be wearing turtle-body suits and only the faces will be CGI so they can have realistic facial expressions. This I have absolutely no problem with. Just as long as the bodies are made of some type of highend latex that have movement that is just as realistic, then I think it'll flow together very nicely.

^They said they may be going with the Rise of the Planet of the Apes as a reference, meaning they may be full CG.

I think that would be a waste of money. You only need full CG for really crazy stunts. If they are just standing around talking, or even fight, it should be a mix of body suits and CG.

I think that would be a waste of money. You only need full CG for really crazy stunts. If they are just standing around talking, or even fight, it should be a mix of body suits and CG.

I'd be okay with that. But I do hope they get a decent redesign either way.

With the way effects are today, a lot of directors can get a more honest and convincing performance with motion and facial capture than people wearing hot, uncomfortable suits.

^i also think those suits held back the fight scenes as well

I was discussing this with my housemate last night.

Do the ninja turtles mutate into humanoid turtle babies and then are taken under Splinters wing and trained?

Did Splinter mutate a long time before the turtles did and who raised him?

Their personalities and mannerisms must come from somewhere.

I actually preferred what the original cartoon did, by merging Splinter and Yoshi into one character. It makes a lot more sense. Even if we accept mutation (suspension of disbelief), it still doesn't explain how Splinter became a martial arts master. Or how he and the turtles learned English, and other human traits.

I actually preferred what the original cartoon did, by merging Splinter and Yoshi into one character. It makes a lot more sense. Even if we accept mutation (suspension of disbelief), it still doesn't explain how Splinter became a martial arts master. Or how he and the turtles learned English, and other human traits.

Some sources suggest that Splinter was already a mutant when he was a pet of Hamato Yoshi, because of his high intelligence, which unable him to learn martial arts, and understand human speech. The mutagen/ooze just increased his intelilgence further, as well as gave him a more humanoid form.

Some sources suggest that Splinter was already a mutant when he was a pet of Hamato Yoshi, because of his high intelligence, which unable him to learn martial arts, and understand human speech. The mutagen/ooze just increased his intelilgence further, as well as gave him a more humanoid form.

That's asking me to suspend my disbelief too much.

I agree with the poster who said Yoshi turning into a rat makes more sense. I like how it's a reverse of what the turtles go through as well.

I like the explanation that the infected take on the properties of the last (multi-celled) organism they came into contact with*, so Yoshi touched a rat and mutated into one, and the turtles were touched by a human and became humanoid.

*I guess the logic here is that if you touch, say, a rat, you might end up with a rat hair or a few sloughed-off skin cells on your fingers, and those would contain the rat's DNA? And a the turtles might have a few sloughed-off skin cells from the human? It'd have to be a multi-cellular organism, I suppose, or else Yoshi and the turtles would just mutate into gut-bacteria...

I say all stories can get away with one very strange thing. That would be the ooze. But then some logic needs to follow. Splinter, as a rat, before being exposed to the ooze, would have no idea what his master was doing. Even if he did, watching someone practice martial arts, does not make you a martial arts master. Or how he learned to speak human languages, among other things.

But there's also the more human connection. Yoshi being there would explain why the turtles didn't end up like feral sewer monsters.

a friend of mine made this for a halloween costume it's funny how as soon as he put in on a few fx/prop building websites it went around as concept art for the tmmt movie lol. He made this and a shell and the costume for a halloween costume contest. This pic is the aanimatronic head version.

Last edited:
I have to admit, the 87 toon 's Retromutagen ooze theory does make a lot more sense, but one thing always bugged me. The Ooze mutates the specimen into whatever the last creature it came into contact with. The turtles were last touched by Yoshi, so they took on the human traits, and Yoshi took on the traits of the rats, because thats what he was last in contact with. BUT ! Since Yoshi was cleary shown holding the turtles while he wiped off the mutagen, shouldn't he have mutated into a turtle, since the last creature he came into contact with was them ?

They kind of say it's the last creature you had MOST contact with.

These are a good starting point, IMO. I like how the artist infused stuff a teenager would wear with the more traditional ninja gear.

Best designs I have seen for a redesign. Old look is played out. I mean, you guys that want the original look do realize that they would all be wearing the same color bandana right and all look identical. IMO those redesigns really inject character into each turtle before they even speak onscreen. I just think there needs to be more than 4 naked turtles with a diff color bandana.

What would Donnie be, a hipster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"