The Lord of the Rings trilogy or the Nolan Batman Trilogy

LOTR trilogy, hands down.

Indiana Jones Trilogy

I hate that it is technically no longer a trilogy, because I would consider that, LOTR, Star Wars OT, Toy Story, and Back to the Future the best trilogies.

Like others have said, Dark Knight Rises kind of kept the DK trilogy from being great across the board, IMO, similar to Spider-Man 3. Iron Man, IMO, is a very good trilogy, but the first one is the only one I consider GREAT.

Matrix may be the biggest fall off from great first movie to terrible sequels.

The TDK trilogy is a bit too clunky and flawed. If TDKR had been better written, with a stronger second act, it stood a chance.

But LOTR wins as is.

Lord of the Rings.

It's not even close.

I like LOTR, but don't watch them often, nor really care to.

I love TDK Trilogy more, so there's that. But LOTR is good too.

While I think The Dark Knight is individually better than any of the LOTR films, as a whole LOTR is a more satisfying three-film story.

So the former for me.

Not a hands down, but TLOTR wins.

In the extended dvd version it its a knockout!

Everything from Pj's LOTR after 2+ hours of Fellowship is crap. So by default , the winner is Batman's trilogy.

You honestly think that first hour of Fellowship in the Shire was better than anything and everything in the other two films? o_O

I didn't know that a single person on the planet thought that until now.

The LoTR trilogy is better than Nolan's. I personally felt that TDKR was the weakest film of Nolan's. It really brought the trilogy down in my opinion.

While I think The Dark Knight is individually better than any of the LOTR films, as a whole LOTR is a more satisfying three-film story.

I can agree with that.

As great as TDK is, I think even Fellowship knocks it out of the park, and that's the weakest of the trilogy imo.

I actually think Fellowship is by far the strongest film PJ has done in his career.

It is well paced (at least the theatrical version is) and tells its story in an epic, but economical way. TTT is a very entertaining action movie, but it does not have much of a beginning or ending and relies heavily on our love of the previous film and the conclusion of the following to the point where it cannot stand on its own. However, Helm's Deep is an epic sequence that does his bloated style perfectly.

ROTK while the one I may enjoy the most in some ways, shows even in its theatrical cut the problems that would come to haunt PJ's style. While Helm's Deep was epic and riveting, the even more stunning Battle for Gondor in ROTK is a good 15-20 minutes too long and goes on an absurd length of nearly an hour. Never mind the awkward way he ends it. I am not complaining about going back to the Shire, I am complaining that he intentionally has several fake-out endings which is just bizarre.

These indulgences which were peaking through ROTK's greatness became an albatross around King Kong's neck in which a simple popcorn story became a 3-hour chore to watch. And that has only broadened more until we got The Hobbit, which is a 9-hour film based on a book less than 300 pages long. :dry:

....So, in short, FOTR is the best one. :)

On an aside, however anyone feels about TDKR, at least it wasn't that odd Tolkien abomination we got in December. I think we can call it for the Nolan trilogy in that match-up right now. Just saying.

I never got a sense of peril in ROTK. The Witch-King was awesome, though.

Of the LOTR movies I only think Fellowship of the Ring is a classic.

TDK is also a classic too (and should've at least been nominated for best picture).

Ultimately TDKR while flawed is more fun and interesting than LOTR2 and LOTR3 so The Dark Knight trilogy wins for me.

The Fellowship of the Ring > Batman Begins

The Two Towers > The Dark Knight

The Return of the King > The Dark Knight Rises

No contest, really. As much as I am a huge fan of The Dark Knight Trilogy, I will always love the Lord of the Rings trilogy more because of the foundation behind it, how it was all filmed at once, the novels behind the films, just everything about LOTR is phenomenal. TDKTrilogy is my second favorite trilogy for sure, so this poll is pretty much asking me to vote on which I prefer between my #1 and #2 favorite trilogies, lol.

I give the edge to TDK Trilogy.

To me, a trilogy with 3 very different individual parts that somehow form a whole interests me more than one long 11 hour movie, cinematically speaking.

The LOTR Trilogy is an incredible achievement though.

LOTR takes it for me too. There's a whole slew of reasons, but mostly it's because The Two Towers has some great big battle scenes.

The Fellowship of the Ring > Batman Begins

The Two Towers > The Dark Knight

The Return of the King > The Dark Knight Rises

When I saw you had posted, I was all prepared to make a satirical post expressing my 'surprise' that you had chosen Batman. Now I am actually genuinely surprised. Well done sir!

The original theatrical cuts of, Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

Last edited:
LOTR with ease. Much stronger on a technical level (than everthing I've ever seen actually, not just compared to the recent Batman films), much more emotionally resonant, and a much better ensemble of characters.

I think they're 3 of the best films ever and ROTK in particular is THE best film ever, the only really great movie in TDK trilogy to me is TDK. I like Batman Begins and Rises alot, but they aren't really on the same level imo.

Agreed 110%!! :up:

When I saw you had posted, I was all prepared to make a satirical post expressing my 'surprise' that you had chosen Batman. Now I am actually genuinely surprised. Well done sir!

I may be a hardcore fan of Nolan's trilogy, and my favorite CBM of all time may be TDKR....but I'm not crazy! :woot::oldrazz:

From Robert Downey Jr about the Dark Knight.
"My whole thing is that that I saw 'The Dark Knight'. I feel like I'm dumb because I feel like I don't get how many things that are so smart. It's like a Ferrari engine of storytelling and script writing and I'm like, 'That's not my idea of what I want to see in a movie.' I loved 'The Prestige' but didn't understand 'The Dark Knight'. Didn't get it, still can't tell you what happened in the movie, what happened to the character and in the end they need him to be a bad guy. I'm like, 'I get it. This is so high brow and so f--king smart, I clearly need a college education to understand this movie.' You know what? F-ck DC comics. That's all I have to say and that's where I'm really coming from."

Last edited:
As highly as I think of Nolan's Batman trilogy, LOTR completely blows it away, IMO.

IMO, LOTR are three of the greatest movies ever made.

Also, Downey's quote makes not a lick of sense and frankly sounds like sour grapes.

LOTR.

If Begins had a dialogue polish, no Katie Holmes, better lighting/color correction (too many damn browns and golds,) and improved characterization of the Scarecrow, it would have made the trilogy one of the best.

The LOTR has one weak film: The Two Towers. The Warg scene felt tacked on - which it was, which does not mean it should have felt so-and I was not too pleased with the Uruk-Hais fleeing when Gandalf arrived (they're super-soldiers, not ordinary goblins.) And the Arwen-Aragorn love plot could have been excised, since it did not go anywhere, nor contribute to the progression of the plot; all it did was eat time. With those flaws noted, it is still a damn good film, but has some noticeable dents, paint imperfections, and a bullet hole, like my first car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"