The Lounge at the End of the Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had pizza with zucchini on it.....I would be surprised too.
Seeing it was one surprise, being pleased by the taste was a second.

Wisdom completely accepted. I tried to go in the Batforum's once during the Nolan trilogy. I'm still recovering. I remember everyone arguing, speculating, then...blacking out. Then I wake up in Mexico, minus a kidney, and the words, "Why so serious?" tattooed on me.

Joking aside, I do tend to avoid the movie forums. People get downright territorial in them.
You're lucky that was before the days of the 'DAMAGED' tattoo. :oldrazz:

Really. I just watched a movie with Phoenix in it, this guy here looks way too thin to be him.

He’s thinned down a lot.

508B07F200000578-6197007-Sinister_figure_Joaquin_Phoenix_looked_menacing_as_Arthur_Fleck_-a-30_1537643812630.jpg

My $.02 re: the Joaquin Phoenix Joker movie:

I don't have a problem with the wardrobe, and I kind of dig his pre-makeup gaunt strung-out appearance, but I really hope that's not his final Joker look and he'll evolve into looking more characteristic of The Joker and not so much like a literal circus clown.

Also I have to agree with Reek that his posture, hair, etc. makes him look like he's modeling himself off of Ledger's Joker.

I also share Fading's concern that, while Joaquin Phoenix is known for playing weird off-kilter characters (maybe because Joaquin Phoenix is weird and off-kilter in real life), he's usually very quiet, low-key, and introverted. It's a little hard to imagine him being over-the-top and flamboyant and maniacally cackling.

Then again, Heath Ledger had never done anything remotely in the ballpark of The Joker before, so I'm not dismissing the possibility that Phoenix can pull it off, acting-wise.

I'm also leery of some other aspects of this movie though, like the reported description of Thomas Wayne as some cheesy spray-tanned Donald Trump-esque businessman. That, and I just don't know that a character like The Joker needs an origin story movie (or a random ash name like "Arthur Fleck").

I think Joa's hair looks cooler than Ledger's. There, I said it!

Greens Hair and Nail Salon

a place for the damned, wicked, and down right rutty.

He does nails too? I'll keep him in mind then.

He’s thinned down a lot.

508B07F200000578-6197007-Sinister_figure_Joaquin_Phoenix_looked_menacing_as_Arthur_Fleck_-a-30_1537643812630.jpg
I'd say so. That's a good 30-40 pounds less than You were never here which I just watched yesterday. He was shirtless in that and more than a bit chunky.

Its him. He does appear to have slimmed down a bit for the role.

The scene is meant to be some sort of riot. One of the signs says, "Eat the rich." Another says, "Wake up." And one looks like it might say, "Joker for Mayor." Maybe the real world 99% vs 1% / poor vs rich economic issues will be part of the plot. Wouldnt surprise me at all if this Joker is someone that was fired from their job, lost everything they had, and developed some sort of insane grudge against government, corporations, and the super rich of Gotham. And turns into some kind of Tyler Durden type character that wants to burn it all down.

Plus with that sort of origin itd make the character somewhat relatable and a tragic character. More like a protagonist rather than just an unknown psychopath antagonist.
I have no problem with this kind of plot line. :) It's not that far fetched.

My $.02 re: the Joaquin Phoenix Joker movie:

I don't have a problem with the wardrobe, and I kind of dig his pre-makeup gaunt strung-out appearance, but I really hope that's not his final Joker look and he'll evolve into looking more characteristic of The Joker and not so much like a literal circus clown.

Also I have to agree with Reek that his posture, hair, etc. makes him look like he's modeling himself off of Ledger's Joker.

I also share Fading's concern that, while Joaquin Phoenix is known for playing weird off-kilter characters (maybe because Joaquin Phoenix is weird and off-kilter in real life), he's usually very quiet, low-key, and introverted. It's a little hard to imagine him being over-the-top and flamboyant and maniacally cackling.

Then again, Heath Ledger had never done anything remotely in the ballpark of The Joker before, so I'm not dismissing the possibility that Phoenix can pull it off, acting-wise.

I'm also leery of some other aspects of this movie though, like the reported description of Thomas Wayne as some cheesy spray-tanned Donald Trump-esque businessman. That, and I just don't know that a character like The Joker needs an origin story movie (or a random ash name like "Arthur Fleck").

Since Joker is the protagonist and this is all from his perspective it makes sense that Thomas Wayne is some spray tanned Trump type 1% guy. This film needs to present its characters and story through Joker's eyes. Things need to be flipped on their head a bit. Maybe even have an unreliable narrator type situation. What I mean by that is to Bruce and others that personally knew Thomas he would be the traditional Thomas that comic and batman fans are used to: the honest strong supporting father and philanthropist. But unlike in prior Batman films, those people aren't "telling" this story. Joker is telling this story. And to this Joker, who is probably down in the dumps and possibly forked over or depressed before becoming an unstable mad man, an uber rich corporate guy like Thomas could appear to be a Donald Trump type leech on society and a greedy prick.

Also, something else to consider, this Thomas Wayne may somehow be involved in the psychotic break of this Joker. Maybe the guy that becomes the Joker worked at Wayne Enterprises and Thomas fired him or humiliated him, and possibly that will feed or trigger Joker's psychotic break. That would also add a new layer to the Batman/Joker dynamic because this Joker's grudge might be against Thomas and after Thomas dies that grudge could shift to Bruce and then along comes Batman. So suddenly Bruce is dealing with a Joker that's attacking Bruce, Wayne Enterprises, and Batman.

That could make for a killer Joker trilogy.

Last edited:
you really think that is his Joker look? it's most likely him in a show that fails or something... clearly thats not the final joker look :funny:
I thought the same thing when Leto came out. It was still awful.

I had doubts about Heath when I first heard he was cast as Joker and he proved me wrong. I've since learned to be a lot more reserved in judgement.

Leto and Heath both taught the same lesson in different ways for a lot of people, don't make judgments about how good or bad they'll be until you actually see what they do, people got their hopes up for Leto, and most people felt let down (to say the least), whereas there was a lot of doubt and criticism of Heath before the trailer for TDK came out, but once it did almost everyone was blown away.

Leto and Heath both taught the same lesson in different ways for a lot of people, don't make judgments about how good or bad they'll be until you actually see what they do, people got their hopes up for Leto, and most people felt let down (to say the least), whereas there was a lot of doubt and criticism of Heath before the trailer for TDK came out, but once it did almost everyone was blown away.

I still remember that first Joker trailer for TDK. When he said, "You're just a freak...like me." and cuts to that wide shot of Joker in the street looking totally demented I was sold on Heath as the Joker. That trailer was the best part of I am Legend. :hehe:

It's all going downhill folks...

I just got two burgers delivered with fries so I have a squeeze bottle of ketchup at the desk. Also have a squeeze bottle of honey for my tea. Put the teabag into my cup. Went to get the honey. Got ketchup instead and squeezed out a bunch into the cup without a second thought before I realized what I'd done.

was it heinz or hunts... answer wisely

It's all going downhill folks...

I just got two burgers delivered with fries so I have a squeeze bottle of ketchup at the desk. Also have a squeeze bottle of honey for my tea. Put the teabag into my cup. Went to get the honey. Got ketchup instead and squeezed out a bunch into the cup without a second thought before I realized what I'd done.
Herbal tomato juice!

Greens sold Batman a swedish made penis enlarger pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"