The Mandalorian and Grogu

SURPRISE!!!

Huh, guess no Mando season 4. I think a movie is more fitting for Favreau's sensibilities, imo.

Going to laugh if this means Pascal dropped from FF.

Jon likes to use Luke, so I am guessing he shows up. Either cg face or a recast. Either way I expect him to make an appearance.

At first I was confused and thought Favreau was replacing Filoni on his movie, but yeah I think this is kind of a no-brainer. Favreau is a safe hand, the popularity of the characters is there and it needs some redemption after a lackluster third season. I hope it's good.

Kind of a meh title, but it'll probably help sell tickets.

Although...I do hope this is something that's been in the works for a while, and not a last ditch effort to have something come out ahead of the culture war-primed Rey movie by just taking the ideas for Season 4 and turning it into a movie. Lucasfilm has been so reactionary that you really just never know.

Last edited:
I hope they've had something in mind too, but the rumors about the issues behind the scenes on the TV show make me wonder what the plan is.

So the question is does this come before Rey's movie to try and build good will, and thus try to inspire people to go to the next one? Or does it come after in an attempt a clean up for when both sides of the fandom start fighting because Grogu will somehow bring balance back . . . . .

Either way I'm not looking forward to the arguing about male directed movie vs female directed movie because I don't believe that has much weight. What I do know is Favreau has a proven Star Wars track record so I'm happy to see what he's got coming.

I'm sure it might be decent but after that last season, I really have no interest in seeing Mando and the kid ever again.

Well Jon is hit and miss on Star Wars so far, so who knows what we end up with. I mean he made the Mandalorian. He also wrote Book of Boba Fett. So I guess you could say he is hit or miss so far. So it will be interesting to see what we end up with.

I feel like they’re mixing media a little bit too much when it comes to The Mandalorian. First there was the series… then they resolved a fairly big plot point halfway through a spinoff that only like half the viewers seemed excited about in the first place… now a movie, with potentially another on the horizon?

Idk. Seems a bit risky.

I feel like they’re mixing media a little bit too much when it comes to The Mandalorian. First there was the series… then they resolved a fairly big plot point halfway through a spinoff that only like half the viewers seemed excited about in the first place… now a movie, with potentially another on the horizon?

Idk. Seems a bit risky.

I greatly enjoyed it when they did it with X-files.

I love Favreau, but I'm over the Mandalorian at this point. I have more interest in seeing where Ashoka goes, but regardless, I think Star Wars desparatrely needs a new era to explore. Being tied down to the skywalker saga timeline is really baffling to me. I have no desire to see another fan servicey Luke Skywalker scene in live action. I want to see something new with new characters.

I love Favreau, but I'm over the Mandalorian at this point. I have more interest in seeing where Ashoka goes, but regardless, I think Star Wars desparatrely needs a new era to explore. Being tied down to the skywalker saga timeline is really baffling to me. I have no desire to see another fan servicey Luke Skywalker scene in live action. I want to see something new with new characters.

I think they are in somewhat of a catch 22 in that they absolutely do need to explore new stuff, but I also do think the post-ROTJ era is ripe for exploration and I think it needs to be more fleshed out in order to help smooth out the narrative jump to The Force Awakens and the rest of the ST. Unlike the jump from Episode III to IV, it just leaves a tremendous gap that raises questions and takes a hard left turn from where things left off in Return of the Jedi. I really think that's a major root cause of why modern Star Wars has been so divisive. And I have almost no doubt that Grogu's future is probably going to play into the future of the Jedi, so I feel like they have to develop that further too.

In a perfect world, there can be some storytelling connective tissue between Mangold's ancient Jedi movie, the Favreau/Filoni stuff, and the post-TROS Rey movie.

I'm wait and see on this. I will be severely disappointed if this just feels ends up feeling like season 4 as a TV movie that they end up releasing in theaters to cash in. But if Favreau can bring some of that blockbuster magic and make it feel like a real stand alone event, I'm interested.

The first season of The Mandalorian was a lot of fun and part of what made it so special was that it was self-contained, and had a new cast of characters and its own little corner in the supposedly massive Star Wars universe. It's a shame that it's now just as convoluted as anything coming out of the MCU and all about cameos and references. Who knows, maybe the film will be good and a return to form after the unimpressive and uninspired season 3, but I'm not particularly excited or hopeful.

I think they are in somewhat of a catch 22 in that they absolutely do need to explore new stuff, but I also do think the post-ROTJ era is ripe for exploration and I think it needs to be more fleshed out in order to help smooth out the narrative jump to The Force Awakens and the rest of the ST. Unlike the jump from Episode III to IV, it just leaves a tremendous gap that raises questions and takes a hard left turn from where things left off in Return of the Jedi. I really think that's a major root cause of why modern Star Wars has been so divisive. And I have almost no doubt that Grogu's future is probably going to play into the future of the Jedi, so I feel like they have to develop that further too.

In a perfect world, there can be some storytelling connective tissue between Mangold's ancient Jedi movie, the Favreau/Filoni stuff, and the post-TROS Rey movie.

I'm wait and see on this. I will be severely disappointed if this just feels ends up feeling like season 4 as a TV movie that they end up releasing in theaters to cash in. But if Favreau can bring some of that blockbuster magic and make it feel like a real stand alone event, I'm interested.
I agree. I do think that the ST era needs more content and I'm hoping filoni and favreau continue to fill in the gaps of that era. At the same time, I do think the theatrical space should focus on new things. One of the reasons I loved Ashoka so much is because of baylen (RIP Ray) and shin hati. Plus, seeing Sabine in live action. Yes, she was a cartoon character first but there's really nobody that looks like her in any past star wars film. It felt fresh seeing those 3 characters, and I'm invested to see where they go next. Now imagine if we get more characters like that in like the Old Republic era or something. I just think that in the theatrical space at least, we should be seeing new things. The shows can continue expanding the ST era. But that's just me, honestly. It's hard to tell what the GA actually wants and I think The Mandalorian film will be the test.

I think this whole "theatrical movies connected to television" thing has proven it doesn't really work and to do this at a time where the hype for the Mandalorian show is not even at its highest is an even worse idea. If this is going to have a huge tentpole movie budget I can almost guarantee it's going to flop hard.

I think this whole "theatrical movies connected to television" thing has proven it doesn't really work and to do this at a time where the hype for the Mandalorian show is not even at its highest is an even worse idea. If this is going to have a huge tentpole movie budget I can almost guarantee it's going to flop hard.

I mean I guess it's true in more recent memory, but something like Star Trek: The Motion Picture shows that the leap can be made successfully. I just think they need to treat it like a real standalone movie and take pains to not turn it into too much of a lore homework assignment.

What made Mando successful at its best was it really felt like a western in the Star Wars universe. I think they need to double down on that. With Favreau directing and Ludwig (likely) scoring it, this probably already has the talent involved to make it feel like an event. They need to keep the budget controlled and tell a more focused story. I think the best version of this is a tight, no more than 2 hour movie.

To me it all comes down to if they actually have the goods here. If the trailers looks great and reminds people what they loved about the show in its first two seasons then I think it has a chance to generate hype and succeed.

I mean I guess it's true in more recent memory, but something like Star Trek: The Motion Picture shows that the leap can be made successfully. I just think they need to treat it like a real standalone movie and take pains to not turn it into too much of a lore homework assignment.

What made Mando successful at its best was it really felt like a western in the Star Wars universe. I think they need to double down on that. With Favreau directing and Ludwig (likely) scoring it, this probably already has the talent involved to make it feel like an event. They need to keep the budget controlled and tell a more focused story. I think the best version of this is a tight, no more than 2 hour movie.

To me it all comes down to if they actually have the goods here. If the trailers looks great and reminds people what they loved about the show in its first two seasons then I think it has a chance to generate hype and succeed.
It's not the same case because Star Trek: The Motion Picture was released a decade after the show had ended, it wasn't playing in cinemas when the series was ongoing.

And even so, those were different times, where cinematic and TV shared universes didn't exist. At an age where Disney is pushing hard for this, with both Marvel and Star Wars, in order to make their streaming platform more successful, and where Mandalorian himself belongs in that sort of a universe of interconnected shows where the story continues in different series, I sincerely doubt it would be a completely stand-alone thing. And I really don't think it's going to be successful in cinemas when even the show's ratings have been in decline.

But the truth is I am curious as to what they have in mind to do.

It's not the same case because Star Trek: The Motion Picture was released a decade after the show had ended, it wasn't playing in cinemas when the series was ongoing.

And even so, those were different times, where cinematic and TV shared universes didn't exist. At an age where Disney is pushing hard for this, with both Marvel and Star Wars, in order to make their streaming platform more successful, and where Mandalorian himself belongs in that sort of a universe of interconnected shows where the story continues in different series, I sincerely doubt it would be a completely stand-alone thing. And I really don't think it's going to be successful in cinemas when even the show's ratings have been in decline.

But the truth is I am curious as to what they have in mind to do.

Well, my point is I think they should take a look at what made something like Star Trek work. I think the recent failings of a lot of MCU movies and superhero movies in general at the box office, while you have movies like Top Gun Maverick, Avatar, Barbie, Oppenheimer, etc. crushing it shows that the audience is tiring out on the whole "serialized TV as movies" thing that the MCU dominated with for so long. I think if they recognize it, there's an opportunity to seize this moment and focus on making a "capital M" Movie that also happens to feature the two most popular new characters of the Disney era. Baby Yoda was a genuine pop culture phenomenon and is absolutely massive with kids, so I wouldn't count out the marketability of that just because the last season was unpopular. I have some friends whose kids go crazy for Grogu, they have dolls and t-shirts and they haven't even actually watched the show. I think that's where there's an opportunity to cash in on the pop culture cache there.

Ultimately, Star Wars has to figure out a way back into the movies that can generate some excitement and good will again. Whether or not they're able to do that with this one, I have no idea. But I think the potential is there if they approach it the right way.

Even for Disney/Lucasfilm this seems lazy and desperate. They are so directionless that the first new film out the gate after a 5 year hiatus is going to be based on their only TV success in that time, long after a divisive 3rd season and far too late to benefit from the hype the show had. How exciting, lol

You know, if they really had to reunite Grogu and Mando, this movie would've been the time to do it Not in friggin Book of Boba Fett, almost immediately after Grogu and Mando separate

Well, my point is I think they should take a look at what made something like Star Trek work. I think the recent failings of a lot of MCU movies and superhero movies in general at the box office, while you have movies like Top Gun Maverick, Avatar, Barbie, Oppenheimer, etc. crushing it shows that the audience is tiring out on the whole "serialized TV as movies" thing that the MCU dominated with for so long. I think if they recognize it, there's an opportunity to seize this moment and focus on making a "capital M" Movie that also happens to feature the two most popular new characters of the Disney era. Baby Yoda was a genuine pop culture phenomenon and is absolutely massive with kids, so I wouldn't count out the marketability of that just because the last season was unpopular. I have some friends whose kids go crazy for Grogu, they have dolls and t-shirts and they haven't even actually watched the show. I think that's where there's an opportunity to cash in on the pop culture cache there.

Ultimately, Star Wars has to figure out a way back into the movies that can generate some excitement and good will again. Whether or not they're able to do that with this one, I have no idea. But I think the potential is there if they approach it the right way.
I don't entirely disagree, I just think that popularity on TV and in cinema is a whole different deal and I believe that the best way to make popular Star Wars movies again in cinema would be with a big, epic scale film that feels different and fresh and is an event of a sort that convinces audience to not miss it. A Mandalorian spin-off film feels anything but that to me. It's a classic playing it safe move by Disney who tries to capitilise on something that is already established and is more of a "sure thing". Even if I believe it ultimately is not. But I've been wrong before so we'll see.

I don't entirely disagree, I just think that popularity on TV and in cinema is a whole different deal and I believe that the best way to make popular Star Wars movies again in cinema would be with a big, epic scale film that feels different and fresh and is an event of a sort that convinces audience to not miss it. A Mandalorian spin-off film feels anything but that to me. It's a classic playing it safe move by Disney who tries to capitilise on something that is already established and is more of a "sure thing". Even if I believe it ultimately is not. But I've been wrong before so we'll see.

It's anyone's guess at this point, and this could definitely be a disappointing miscalculation from Disney...just trying to hope for the best. Star Wars really needs another win on the big screen.

I hope they have a good story for this. Most of the big subplots were resolved in Boba Fett and Season 3.

And IMHO they took the path of least resistance on resolving all those subplots.

The Darksaber can't be handed over...except when it is constantly.

The Darksaber can only be won in battle...except when it isn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"