The Mandalorian The Mandalorian: General Thread

I wonder what will be the next series that will go into production. Acolyte will be done in May/June, Andor in Agust. That are releases for 2024. No projects further were announced and last week was the best opportunity to announce new series (Rangers of the Republic substitute, Lando) or seasons (BoBF, Obi Wan).
I have a feeling, that the cancelled Rangers series isn’t cancelled regarding to the plot and it’s importance for the overarching Thrawn- plot.

They were pretty clear that Obi-wan S2 isn't currently being worked on. Donald Glover is still working on Lando, so its possible.

It is sounding like Filoni's Mandoverse movie is looking at 2026/2027, so probably going to see another season of Mando and Ahsoka, at least. Some of the cast mentioned a possible S2, so they may be waiting to announce that till it starts airing. Depending on what their production capacity looks like, it may also depend on what movie is filming that year.

I thought that Luke teaching Grogu was going to be the point where the sequel trilogy became alternate history, but that turned out to be not the case. These days, the plan seems to be to make the sequel trilogy fit better with the preceding eras, and I think it's working.
This is genuinely interesting to me, since the shows, books, and comics always seemed to follow the Sequel prelude content so closely from my perspective. I'm really wondering where the idea for an alternate history came from.

Honestly, the season 1 trailer and first 3 episodes sold me on the fact that they were incorporating it. Again, definitely don't mean any disrespect there. Reading back, my precious comment was a bit insensitive. Just trying to further understand the perspective and genuinely curious. Maybe I care a bit too much about what the larger Star Wars community thinks.

Anyway, I do think incorporating it is a good thing in the end. Just like Bad Batch smoothing out the transition from the prequels to the OT. A more consistent world, right?

I wouldn't be surprised if Legacy is brought back into the main continuity at some point. All they'd have to do would be to make Cade Skywalker a descendant of Rey — or make someone in his family another Skywalker-by-choice — instead of the great-great-grandson of Luke.
100%! Filoni loves bringing back Legends into canon. There'll definitely be much more of that in the future!

Last edited:
I thought that Luke teaching Grogu was going to be the point where the sequel trilogy became alternate history, but that turned out to be not the case. These days, the plan seems to be to make the sequel trilogy fit better with the preceding eras, and I think it's working.

I wouldn't be surprised if Legacy is brought back into the main continuity at some point. All they'd have to do would be to make Cade Skywalker a descendant of Rey — or make someone in his family another Skywalker-by-choice — instead of the great-great-grandson of Luke.

If Disney ever gets desperate enough, I wouldn't put it past them to create a new plot device where Luke had a secret child of his own that went into hiding before the events of the ST.

I honestly don't care if Din dies, but if Bo dies - I'll fight Favreau.

Ha, I care about Din, but Bo is right up there now.

Viewership number stuff in spoilers. Tl;dr show is doing perfectly fine for the first three episodes and a lot of the perceived 'drops' were taken out of context.

kxiumgclspta1.png

Now that we're three weeks in with Nielsen ratings, we can have a slightly more meaningful look at the season 3 viewership numbers. So far, the math basically boils down to:
  • The Season 3 premiere was likely performing on par with the Season 2 premiere of The Mandalorian.
  • The show has been continuously outperforming Book of Boba Fett in Nielsen ratings.
  • Viewership numbers across episodes 1-3 have been consistent.
The 20% drop in demand, not viewership, was commonly misquoted in articles about episode 1. Fewer people seemingly talked about the show online initially, which makes sense given the lack of big cameos or surprise moments early on. Viewership seemingly hasn't suffered. At least, not up to Episode 3 anyway.

The scary headlines said the Season 2 premiere was good for 1,032M minutes watched, while Season 3 'dropped down' to 873M minutes. What that leaves out, among other things, is that the Season 2 premiere was also 18 minutes longer. That changes the math since we're literally comparing the number of minutes. A common problem with these types of articles.

People similarly got worried about the Samba TV headline of the premiere being watched by 1.6M households. Ignoring the small sample size that Samba has, that is seemingly lower than Season 2 premiere, sure. It is also a staggering 0.5M higher than the Season 2 finale, which was good for 1.1M. Yes. That wildly popular episode.

So much of the reporting on this stuff is numbers being taken out of context for a biased headline. I've ranted about this before with some other shows but just wanted to point it out here as well.

Last edited:
Viewership number stuff in spoilers. Tl;dr show is doing perfectly fine for the first three episodes and a lot of the perceived 'drops' were taken out of context.

kxiumgclspta1.png

Now that we're three weeks in with Nielsen ratings, we can have a slightly more meaningful look at the season 3 viewership numbers. So far, the math basically boils down to:
  • The Season 3 premiere was likely performing on par with the Season 2 premiere of The Mandalorian.
  • The show has been continuously outperforming Book of Boba Fett in Nielsen ratings.
  • Viewership numbers across episodes 1-3 have been consistent.
The 20% drop in demand, not viewership, was commonly misquoted in articles about episode 1. Fewer people seemingly talked about the show online initially, which makes sense given the lack of big cameos or surprise moments early on. Viewership seemingly hasn't suffered. At least, not up to Episode 3 anyway.

The scary headlines said the Season 2 premiere was good for 1,032M minutes watched, while Season 3 'dropped down' to 873M minutes. What that leaves out, among other things, is that the Season 2 premiere was also 18 minutes longer. That changes the math since we're literally comparing the number of minutes. A common problem with these types of articles.

People similarly got worried about the Samba TV headline of the premiere being watched by 1.6M households. Ignoring the small sample size that Samba has, that is seemingly lower than Season 2 premiere, sure. It is also a staggering 0.5M higher than the Season 2 finale, which was good for 1.1M. Yes. That wildly popular episode.

So much of the reporting on this stuff is numbers being taken out of context for a biased headline. I've ranted about this before with some other shows but just wanted to point it out here as well.
Thanks for that info. Helps clear things up a fair bit.

A part of me is legitimately curious to see what would happen to the show's ratings if Din Jarin was killed off and replaced with Bo Katan during next week's finale.

Personally I have a feeling it’s gonna be Bo Katan who is killed off

This season has been anything but impactful, so it would be quite a shocker if they finished it off by killing a main character. What if it's Grogu? I don't know if the fabric of time and space could survive the insanity that would follow :whoops:

An interesting connection between the S1 E1 and S3 E7 that I'd forgotten about.

People are saying the Client's beskar in the first episode makes much more sense now that we know about Gideon's base on Mandalore. I remember seeing the "Empire is on Mandalore" theory floating around previously, partly because of that reason. Love it.

Yeah, this whole season had a few bright moments, but overall, just felt hollow. Season 2 would have "filler/adventure of the week" but I usually enjoyed them. I just felt not enough meaningful happened throughout Season 3. You see rumors that Jon Favreau wasn't happy behind the scenes, I can believe it after seeing this. But who knows. Onto Ahsoka, really excited and hoping for the best on that one.

At least I got the Picard finale to look forward to tonight...

Can't wait to see Ryan George's Pitch Meeting for this season.

I think the finale was better than the Season deserved, as was The Mines of Mandalore. Great action and a better paced story for a meandering, wasteful season focusing on a less interesting Mandalorian in Bo Katan, and a less interesting and shallow take on her too.

It wasn’t loathsome, but it was frustrating and annoying to see all the juicy possibility of Mando-on-Mando violence utterly wasted out for what seems to be either laziness or favoritism towards the most prominent characters who could have been excellent complex anatgsonists - Bo Katan and the Armorer.

Seriously. We’ve got these two ex-Death Watch characters who backstory amounted to “They got what they wanted, and their planet burned for it, and they still haven’t really confronted that,” severs, factions of Mandalroains to explore with radically different perspectives and subcultures, and a Darksaber with a kickass premise….

And instead we got “The Mandos are all one big happy family with no real divisions, diversity, or depth, who just need a few minutes of talking to team up against Moff Gideon trying to culturally appropriate his way to Gakatcicdomination, who we can’t even give a cool Mandalorian backstory or give Mandalorian henchmen to when the costuming makes it clear we really should have done that.”

I wouldn't call it "bad" but this was easily the weakest season of the show.
Yeah. It had no structure. Some good stuff but hard to link it all together with the strange way it was put out there. Moving so much to Boba Fett has been one of the big mistakes that the Star Wars shows have made and hobbled the momentum of both shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"