Marvel Films The Marvel Studios News and Discussion Thread

Not to dwell on the Ant-Man discussion but I wonder if the post-Secret Wars soft reboot rumor is true, if they'll use that as an opportunity to recast Hank and Janet with younger actors that are contemporaries with the likes Reed Richards. I can't see Rudd and Lily sticking around for too much longer and introducing a younger variant of Hank Pym works if they want some variation of Ant-Man to be around.
I’m beginning to wonder if they’ll reboot all of the Avengers. That way, the post Secret Wars MCU starts with new versions of the Avengers and the X-Men. The big question then would be what happens with Spider-Man?

Arrogant meaning what exactly? Arrogant like Tony Stark?

But why exactly is that your mindset before seeing the movie? What about that movie made you think that would be the case? Did you have similar thoughts before seeing The Avengers or The Winter Soldier? Movies where the cast is primiarily white?
Tony's arrogance, at least in the first film, was due to his wealth and his mistaken belief that he was untouchable. Being kidnapped and severely wounded by the Ten Rings proved him wrong on both counts, and started him on the path to change his ways.

As for the other films, I didn't worry about them, because they weren't made with the intention of making a racial statement or sending a political message. A small case could be made for "The First Avenger", since its largely set in World War 2...but most of the film correctly shows the Red Skull as a selfish power-mad dictator.

I’m beginning to wonder if they’ll reboot all of the Avengers. That way, the post Secret Wars MCU starts with new versions of the Avengers and the X-Men. The big question then would be what happens with Spider-Man?
All New, All Different Marvel has been the rumored template. So I'm expecting a hodgepodge of the current iterations of some characters continuing on with the multiverse being used to bring back the likes of Cap and Stark. I'm just not sure how that works continuity wise.

All New, All Different Marvel has been the rumored template. So I'm expecting a hodgepodge of the current iterations of some characters continuing on with the multiverse being used to bring back the likes of Cap and Stark. I'm just not sure how that works continuity wise.
I really hope they leave Cap and Tony alone - Downey and Evans perfectly embodied both. Its like hiring someone besides Mark Hamill for Luke Skywalker - people won't accept it.

Tony's arrogance, at least in the first film, was due to his wealth and his mistaken belief that he was untouchable. Being kidnapped and severely wounded by the Ten Rings proved him wrong on both counts, and started him on the path to change his ways.

As for the other films, I didn't worry about them, because they weren't made with the intention of making a racial statement or sending a political message. A small case could be made for "The First Avenger", since its largely set in World War 2...but most of the film correctly shows the Red Skull as a selfish power-mad dictator.
You don't think Iron Man was a political commentary on war profiteering? You don't think Winter Soldier was a political movie about freedom vs security and how much freedom we are willing to sacrifice in the name of security and the nature of the people in charge of these decisions? Almost every movie you watch is political.

You don't think Iron Man was a political commentary on war profiteering? You don't think Winter Soldier was a political movie about freedom vs security and how much freedom we are willing to sacrifice in the name of security and the nature of the people in charge of these decisions? Almost every movie you watch is political.
Tony did have a good point, to the lady who accused him of war profiteering - that all his profits were used to do things like support food shortages and such. And after his freedom from the Ten Rings, he stopped making weapons as an attempt to atone for his past. As for "freedom vs. security", Zola and Pierce were (again, correctly) shown to be in the wrong about it.

Tony did have a good point, to the lady who accused him of war profiteering - that all his profits were used to do things like support food shortages and such. And after his freedom from the Ten Rings, he stopped making weapons as an attempt to atone for his past. As for "freedom vs. security", Zola and Pierce were (again, correctly) shown to be in the wrong about it.
I think maybe you need to watch these movies again my man. Tony's position at the beginning of Iron Man is supposed to be tone deaf and showcase his lack of care about how his weapons are being used and how his company was wrong to be doing what it was doing. It "wasn't a good point" nor intended to be taken as such in the work. As for Zola and Pierce being wrong, we'll yeah they're the villains. But I don't see how that matters to your core point about the other movies. You are grasping at strawman arguments and not addressing the core arguments you're being presented.

I dont think this exchange is going the way you think or hope it's going

Let's face it - in the real world, many people of African descent remain hostile and one-sided toward whites

I don't ignore or gloss over past racism

You openly just demonstrated that you view the world from a monolithic standpoint above.

I will say you should take your own advice: "one key to that is trying our best to see the good in people."

So on some level you know doing so is wrong even though you can't see yourself doing it in your own post.

You openly just demonstrated that you view the world from a monolithic standpoint above.

I will say you should take your own advice: "one key to that is trying our best to see the good in people."

So on some level you know doing so is wrong even though you can't see yourself doing it in your own post.
If expecting people to be responsible for their own reactions and feelings makes me "monolithic", then so be it. I do try my best to see the good in people, but that doesn't mean I always have to agree with or support them. Different views do not equal hate.

I'm not trying to tick off anyone, or get myself in trouble, but this discussion started because of a slight comment I made about some of the folks at Disney and Marvel...then everything just exploded. I've done my best to explain my stances rationally and peacefully, and if that's not enough I'm sorry people's feelings are hurt. But when I see folks with an attitude like "You owe me", and I know that I don't, I call them out on it.
You do need to chill, dude. You may not realize it but your posts are actually insulting and hostile to races and genders. Think carefully as you post. There is no room for racism or sexism on the board.

The real question, Eleanor, is what do we owe to each other?
The way that I was raised, is that my main responsibilities were to be loving and not malicious - the word "tolerant" wasn't even used in my childhood. I think my elders' general idea was that "You do what you can, and others' responses are on them."

You do need to chill, dude. You may not realize it but your posts are actually insulting and hostile to races and genders. Think carefully as you post. There is no room for racism or sexism on the board.
I'm doing my best, truly and honestly.

Can we please just get back on topic? This is not a place to discuss racism.

To be honest, I've grown tired of this debate.

*reads the past three pages*

200w.gif

Yes, let's get back on track or time off will happen. Last chance. I'm deleting posts tohelp that happen.

There have been enough warnings. Next ignored warning is time off. Move on

Frankly, I don't think the Ant-Man films would have been more successful if they had Hank and Janet instead of Scott and Hope. Though Quantumania had disappointing returns, the series did have 3 entries. That's a success. It may not be what some fans may have preferred, but the Ant-Man film series had more success than Ant-Man, the character, ever did in comics. Hank could never keep a solo title in comics. He was always a supporting character. But the MCU had 2 successful Ant-Man films and even if the 3rd one was less successful, still managed a trilogy. So if we are talking personal preference, that's entirely up to you. But in terms of success, it was a good decision that made Marvel Studios money
I think Lang was the right choice. Marvel has plenty of scientist-type characters. Stark, Banner, Reed, etc. They are lacking in "every man" characters, so Scott filled a niche. Even now his closest comparisons (ex. Parker, Kamala) are much younger characters, which isn't really the same. Also, the best part of the Ant-Man films were the heist parts, which fits Lang more.

To be honest, I've grown tired of this debate. I've done what I can to offer an objective explanation, but if I go any further I'll probably risk being banned. So with that in mind, I think its best to move on. If folks want to know my stances, they can read those posts, or contact me privately.
"Risk" is a bit of an understatement, buddy. Rolling up into our community with open, blatant racism is not acceptable. Anyone spouting it is not welcome here.

To be honest I don't really understand the point of an in-universe reboot if it functions the same as an out-of-universe reboot. In other words, if everyone just forgets about the old universe and acts as if the new one is the way it's always been, why not just do a regular out-out-of universe reboot (IE, just focus on a different universe, like how Reeves's Batman and Gunn's DCU are in a different universe from the DCEU) so you don't erase and undermine the old universe? It feels like a sleight of hand to make viewers think you're continuing the same story when in fact you're starting over with a new one.

Like what if instead of some sort of big multiversal purge-and-reset happening at the end of Secret Wars, what if they just...put things back to normal, had a happy ending, and wrapped everything up in a nice little bow? And then after that, start focusing on a new phase 1 in a new universe (set in the same multiverse, so we could still get crossovers now and then). The whole "erasing the old universe" step just seems pointless to me.

More comments from Peltz:

Per the Financial Times, Nelson Peltz has openly criticized the company and Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige in a new interview. Peltz, who holds a stake of around $3.5 billion, has attributed the declining success of Disney's Marvel movies to the "woke" strategy used for casting their characters. He suggested that the MCU has been putting out too many "losers" in recent years which might mean that it's time for a change in leadership.

"They say we know nothing about the movie business - we don’t claim we do - but I don’t think they do, with five big losers in a row," Peltz said. "They’ve lost first place in animation, they’ve lost first place in features. Maybe it’s time to change management in those divisions."

When pressed if that means that Kevin Feige should be fired, Peltz added, "I’m not ready to say that, but I question his record. People go to watch a movie or a show to be entertained. They don’t go to get a message.

“Woke” strategy? So not the bigot strategy of only hiring non-minorities.

So many “losers”? Who is this guy? Trump or a pitiful wannabe?

Animation? Since he’s talking Marvel, does he think Kevin is behind Spiderverse? He unintentionally just signaled he knows nothing about the company. I think he’s trying to say Mario made more than Spiderverse without realizing that’s Sony.

Right wingers see minorities merely existing as “a message.”

I think Lang was the right choice. Marvel has plenty of scientist-type characters. Stark, Banner, Reed, etc. They are lacking in "every man" characters, so Scott filled a niche. Even now his closest comparisons (ex. Parker, Kamala) are much younger characters, which isn't really the same. Also, the best part of the Ant-Man films were the heist parts, which fits Lang more.
They should of gone with Edgar's original take on Scott Lang as a career criminal who reforms when he becomes Ant-Man. Edgar's take gave Scott a better character arc. Scott in the MCU committed one Robin Hood crime and got caught.

I always thought Pym's niche was Marvel's mad scientist, Pym is Marvel's Victor Frankenstein. I thought Rick and Morty writer Jeff Loveness would bring a bit of that Rick Sanchez grouchy cynical mad scientist energy to Hank Pym's character in Quantumania but he didn't.

"People go to watch a movie or a show to be entertained. They don’t go to get a message."

Not only is this a pathetic, simplistic point of view, but it also has nothing to do with MCU's decline. The Marvels was a huge flop and it doesn't have any "messaging" in it, it's pure jingling keys entertainment. Unless you consider the gender or ethnicity of the leads a political message, and in that case, it's 100% a you problem and very telling. This person has no business making creative decisions anywhere, least of all at Disney.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"