Marvel Films The Marvel Studios News and Discussion Thread

Sure but post 2012, post-Avengers he hadn't filmed anything yet. And it didn't continue to make sense at that point. And he ultimately left the project because he didn't want to make MCU changes. So granting him all that free reign became kind of a waste.

If they stuck with some kind of standalone we're just making an Ant-Man movie not connected to any other franchise, then it would've been fine.
While making seemingly endless changes to the script to make it more connected to the MCU certainly didn't help, it's not the reason why he ended up leaving. He was still willing to play ball and make changes.

What caused him to leave was that Marvel had an in-house writer revise the script based on all the Creative Committee's notes without Wright's knowledge. Wright thought he was working in good faith to address their notes and felt blindsided when they showed him the revised script 2 months before filming.

While making seemingly endless changes to the script to make it more connected to the MCU certainly didn't help, it's not the reason why he ended up leaving. He was still willing to play ball and make changes.

What caused him to leave was that Marvel had an in-house writer revise the script based on all the Creative Committee's notes without Wright's knowledge. Wright thought he was working in good faith to address their notes and felt blindsided when they showed him the revised script 2 months before filming.

So they granted him creative free reign only to take it away from him at the last second. So it was a foolish decision in the first place.

So they granted him creative free reign only to take it away from him at the last second. So it was a foolish decision in the first place.
It only seems foolish because of all the delays and the suprising success of the MCU. Had they been able to release the movie years earlier (let's say before 2012), we wouldn't be having this conversation.

"Why do I have to have a Marvel that's all women? Not that I have anything against women, but why do I have to do that?" Peltz said in the interview, published on Friday. "Why can't I have Marvels that are both? Why do I need an all-Black cast?"
Asked about Peltz's remarks, a Disney spokesperson responded: "This is exactly why Nelson Peltz shouldn't be anywhere near a creatively driven company."

Perlmutter still mad that Marvel dared to make Black Panther and Captain Marvel, it seems.

Black Panther was a commercial and critical success. Captain Marvel was very financially successful as well.
None of these movies even had a all black cast or all female cast either so I don't know what Petltz is rambling about.

It only seems foolish because of all the delays and the suprising success of the MCU. Had they been able to release the movie years earlier (let's say before 2012), we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Let's be real: Ant-Man only happened because of Edgar Wright. Had he not come to them and developed the earlier version of that movie, Ant-Man never gets a solo film and ends up at best a supporting character somewhere else.

Let's be real: Ant-Man only happened because of Edgar Wright. Had he not come to them and developed the earlier version of that movie, Ant-Man never gets a solo film and ends up at best a supporting character somewhere else.
I'm not sure about that they seemed to be going for the Avengers version 1.0. Only Ant-Man and the Wasp were tied up in a pre MCU deal. With Scarlett Witch's rights in limbo due to the X-Men rights being sold they had to dig a bit deeper to get a first female Avenger to add with Captain America and Hawkeye.

Just as an aside I was sure going into The Ant-Man and The Wasp that one of those Wasp and one of those Ant-Men would survive the blip to give us the First Five Avengers in Endgame.

Oh I agree. That's why I said on the previous page had he never been attached, I don't think there would have been an Ant-Man movie in the first place. At best, he would have been in a similar situation as Black Widow or Hawkeye where maybe he gets a movie/show but it's much further down the line.

Oh I agree. That's why I said on the previous page had he never been attached, I don't think there would have been an Ant-Man movie in the first place. At best, he would have been in a similar situation as Black Widow or Hawkeye where maybe he gets a movie/show but it's much further down the line.
So for a classic reference Ant-Man and The Wasp would have been like the Professor and Mary Ann 0on Gilligan's Island "the rest". I guess you could say that is what Black Widow and Hawkeye were.

So for a classic reference Ant-Man and The Wasp would have been like the Professor and Mary Ann 0on Gilligan's Island "the rest". I guess you could say that is what Black Widow and Hawkeye were.
Not sure what you are trying to get at, but I'm not saying it's a good thing. Im just saying that was probably the likelyhood given the reality of the situation with the people involved (like Ike). The reason why Iron Man was the first movie out of the gate was because Marvel ran kid focus groups i to see which characters would be the most appealing to play with as a toy and Iron Man was the number 1 pick (with Hulk as the runner up).

Not sure what you are trying to get at, but I'm not saying it's a good thing. Im just saying that was probably the likelyhood given the reality of the situation with the people involved (like Ike). The reason why Iron Man was the first movie out of the gate was because Marvel ran kid focus groups i to see which characters would be the most appealing to play with as a toy and Iron Man was the number 1 pick (with Hulk as the runner up).
Plus how could you lose with Downy Jr. at the helm? :) He was perfect.

I've seen hints of it in some of their output, but thankfully none of its been extremely pervasive as of yet.
Please elaborate. Are you agreeing with a guy that says Marvel Studios should have made movies about white dudes instead of 2 movies that grossed a billion dollars?

Please elaborate. Are you agreeing with a guy that says Marvel Studios should have made movies about white dudes instead of 2 movies that grossed a billion dollars?
No, but I am saying I wouldn't want a movie where the whole cast is of one ethnicity, gender, or attitude...especially if they think they're entitled to everything because of it.

For example, when I first heard of "Black Panther", I was a little skeptical. I liked Chadwick Boseman in "Civil War", but wasn't sure if his role in the solo film would be arrogant or self-serving. Since Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis were the only white members of the cast, I was worried the writers would have T'Challa blame them for all of Wakanda's problems...but thankfully, they didn't go that route.

No, but I am saying I wouldn't want a movie where the whole cast is of one ethnicity, gender, or attitude...especially if they think they're entitled to everything because of it.

For example, when I first heard of "Black Panther", I was a little skeptical. I liked Chadwick Boseman in "Civil War", but wasn't sure if his role in the solo film would be arrogant or self-serving. Since Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis were the only white members of the cast, I was worried the writers would have T'Challa blame them for all of Wakanda's problems...but thankfully, they didn't go that route.
Would you be saying the same thing if the entire principal cast was white? What entitles a cast and crew to be entirely comprised of white people?

Not to dwell on the Ant-Man discussion but I wonder if the post-Secret Wars soft reboot rumor is true, if they'll use that as an opportunity to recast Hank and Janet with younger actors that are contemporaries with the likes Reed Richards. I can't see Rudd and Lily sticking around for too much longer and introducing a younger variant of Hank Pym works if they want some variation of Ant-Man to be around.

Would you be saying the same thing if the entire principal cast was white? What entitles a cast and crew to be entirely comprised of white people?
No one deserves to have an entitlement mindset, regardless of their skin tone, cultural background, or anything else. But the fact remains that most people in the USA are white, and the majority of movies made by Hollywood reflect that.

No one deserves to have an entitlement mindset, regardless of their skin tone, cultural background, or anything else. But the fact remains that most people in the USA are white, and the majority of movies made by Hollywood reflect that.
And most of the movies made are geared toward white people. So why whine about the very small minority of them that are not? How many 200 million dollar blockbusters are made with a female or black audience in mind? Significantly less than white dudes.

We white people can deal with it

And most of the movies made are geared toward white people. So why whine about the very small minority of them that are not? How many 200 million dollar blockbusters are made with a female or black audience in mind? Significantly less than white dudes.

We white people can deal with it
Hey, I'm happy "Black Panther" made money - $1.349 billion on a $200 million budget. That's quite an accomplishment. But it could've very easily gone the other way, if the writers had made most of the characters into racist or PC stereotypes...and I'm glad they didn't.

What are you talking about? What movies are you referring to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"