Marvel Films The Marvel Studios News and Discussion Thread

Nelson Peltz said:
"They say we know nothing about the movie business - we don’t claim we do - but I don’t think they do, with five big losers in a row,"

This isn't even true. He's lying. They've had two big failures, Quantumania and The Marvels. Their second to last film was GOTG3 which did quite well. And they were fine the previous year with Dr Strange 2 doing very close to a billion.

“Woke” strategy? So not the bigot strategy of only hiring non-minorities.

So many “losers”? Who is this guy? Trump or a pitiful wannabe?

Animation? Since he’s talking Marvel, does he think Kevin is behind Spiderverse? He unintentionally just signaled he knows nothing about the company. I think he’s trying to say Mario made more than Spiderverse without realizing that’s Sony.

Right wingers see minorities merely existing as “a message.”

He's trying to get on the Disney board so I think he's talking about Disney in general.

This isn't even true. He's lying. They've had two big failures, Quantumania and The Marvels. Their second to last film was GOTG3 which did quite well. And they were fine the previous year with Dr Strange 2 doing very close to a billion.

Again, I think he's talking about Disney overall.

"People go to watch a movie or a show to be entertained. They don’t go to get a message."

Not only is this a pathetic, simplistic point of view, but it also has nothing to do with MCU's decline. The Marvels was a huge flop and it doesn't have any "messaging" in it, it's pure jingling keys entertainment. Unless you consider the gender or ethnicity of the leads a political message, and in that case, it's 100% a you problem and very telling. This person has no business making creative decisions anywhere, least of all at Disney.

I didn't include it in the quote but Peltz immediately followed up that comment with him questioning why Disney is making all-black or all-female movies. Here's the full quote:

When pressed if that means that Kevin Feige should be fired, Peltz added, "I’m not ready to say that, but I question his record. People go to watch a movie or a show to be entertained. They don’t go to get a message. Why do I have to have a Marvel that’s all women? Not that I have anything against women, but why do I have to do that? Why can’t I have Marvels that are both? Why do I need an all-Black cast?"

So you're exactly right in that for him having non-male or non-white leads is a woke political statement in itself. It's really sad that some right-wingers think that Peltz and Perlmutter will suddenly be able to right the MCU ship.

All they will do is put a stop to projects with diverse casts and directors. They're not going to tackle the issue of mixing TV series with movies. They're not going to tackle the issue of Marvel throwing out too many disparate characters and then failing to capitalize on them with sequels or team-ups in a timely manner. They won't tackle those problems because they don't know or care about the actual storytelling. You can't expect billionaire fossils to pay any attention to the minutae for movies they most likely don't even consume.

And let's say that Perlmutter and Peltz achieve all their goals. They get Feige to leave or fire him (Pelrmutter is clearly out for revenge) and put a stop to more Black Panther, Blade, Falconcap, Shang-Chi, Captain Marvel, the Young Avengers etc. What do you replace those projects with? Endless sequels to Thor, Spider-Man, Ant-Man and Doctor Strange?

He's trying to get on the Disney board so I think he's talking about Disney in general.

Again, I think he's talking about Disney overall.

So would that mean he's including Indiana Jones in the 'too woke' basket? Or calling Elemental a loser?

Or is he throwing all the Searchlight films on the pile and ignoring the fact that Searchlight makes niche movies anyway?

So would that mean he's including Indiana Jones in the 'too woke' basket? Or calling Elemental a loser?

Or is he throwing all the Searchlight films on the pile and ignoring the fact that Searchlight makes niche movies anyway?

I'm not surprised he'd consider The Dial of Destiny woke. After all, it co-starred a woman. But seriously, did you not see all the complaints about it being woke? And I also imagine that he does consider Elemental a failure because it didn't make a billion.

Elemental had abysmal opening but incredible legs. If you compare it to other blockbusters last summer it was surely on the winning side, but due to high cost it probably barely broke even. I wouldn't call it a lose but one can make a case about Pixar and Disney animated features losing a lot of steam lately due to Disney+ and Chapek. I'm curious how Inside Out 2 is going to perform since the first one is considered one of the very top movies.

It's really sad that some right-wingers think that Peltz and Perlmutter will suddenly be able to right the MCU ship.

All they will do is put a stop to projects with diverse casts and directors.

Right wingers love those two because of the bigotry, the two go hand in hand.

They can’t stand having anyone who isn’t a straight, white, male in a film, show, comic, or book period. Whether it’s a classic diverse IP, a new entirely original tale, or a remake where the race didn’t matter in the original. They find minorities existing in ancient societies to be “unrealistic” and they find minorities existing in future science fiction worlds to be “pandering.” They scream for minorities to make their own franchise, but when a gay man does (Chucky) - they even scream that the gay man is “pandering” for using his own franchise to tell stories inspired by his own adolescence. They fight to keep books about any minority out of the library, even public ones meant for all. They can’t stand seeing minorities out in the open either - thus, why they always say to “keep it in the bedroom” when a gay couple acts the same way as a straight couple or tell us immigrants to “go back.”

This is all to say - they want those two because of the bigotry rather than it being something that is just an eerie bonus for them. Minorities basically not existing (out of sight, out of mind) is their shared goal.

Last edited:
My hypothesis is that Disney+ is taking money away from Disney theatrical.

Additionally, you notice for the MCU that the first weekend multipliers have shrank since Disney+ became a thing in 2019 and has gained many more subscribers since its launch. The MCU movies are reaching the 90% mark of their total domestic gross faster. So my hypothesis is that for all Disney movies beyond just the MCU that Disney+ is also zapping their stamina, their staying power, in theaters as well.

This table doesn't adjust for inflation, for the higher ticket prices over the years. So the drop off (in tickets sold and box office) is a bit more dramatic than the table's numbers show.

mcu-box-office-20240326.png

Chris Gore used to be cool when he was on G4... now he's just a dude yelling at clouds. "99% of movies today are garbage" can only sort of make sense if you only watch mainstream blockbusters with high budgets and even then that number and idea are ridiculous.

- signed, dude who watches a lot of movies :o

Hmmm, I have my doubts he could handle a big amount of cast members aka superpowered characters.

8m9yqAF.gif

Walt Disney Co has secured enough shareholder votes to defeat a challenge against its board mounted by Nelson Peltz's hedge fund Trian Fund Management, people familiar with the matter said on Tuesday.

Enough votes had been cast as of Tuesday evening to put Disney's board directors safely ahead of Trian's two challengers, that included Peltz and former Disney chief financial officer Jay Rasulo, the sources said.

Blackwells Capital, another hedge fund that nominated three board director candidates at Disney, was also unsuccessful in its attempt, the sources said.

More or less than the company is already doing right now? Especially with how they and other companies have been shedding streaming subscribers.
Knowing everything we know about Nelson and Ike and their history, sorry but this is kinda dumb to say. This is not to say Disney has been great at handling things these last several years but it absolutely would have been way worse had Nelson and co got their way.

More or less than the company is already doing right now? Especially with how they and other companies have been shedding streaming subscribers.
Yeah, this is a silly question, lol! Have you heard this guy talk? He is clueless and would have run the company into the ground hard. We can not be happy with the state of our favorite IPs and also recognize a complete joke and a moron in the making at the same time. This investor guy is a joke

Knowing everything we know about Nelson and Ike and their history, sorry but this is kinda dumb to say. This is not to say Disney has been great at handling things these last several years but it absolutely would have been way worse had Nelson and co got their way.
I don't disagree that Nelson would have made things worse, but the company hasn't exactly been peaches and cream recently either, lest we forget Iger's completely tone deaf comments during the writer's and actor's strike.

I don't disagree that Nelson would have made things worse, but the company hasn't exactly been peaches and cream recently either, lest we forget Iger's completely tone deaf comments during the writer's and actor's strike.
Sure, but this dude is an obvious clown show. I can be eating a pizza and think this is an awful pizza, and then when someone comes and craps on it and then asks me to eat it and see if it's better, well.....you just crapped on an already bad pizza. Yeah it's worse

Sure, but this dude is an obvious clown show. I can be eating a pizza and think this is an awful pizza, and then when someone comes and craps on it and then asks me to eat it and see if it's better, well.....you just crapped on an already bad pizza. Yeah it's worse
A good comparison is Twitter. Twitter was bad. Now it is any better now since Musk bought it? Because this guy was completely out the Musk playbook. Musk was even backing him in his takeover attempt.

I haven't forgotten Iger's comments and I'm not saying everything is currently great at Disney either. I just don't see the point of playing devil's advocate in this situation. Just because things aren't going great at Disney doesn’t mean I want worse people in positions of power.

I wouldn't trust the direction of Disney in the hands of a guy like Peltz where 'woke' is code for the N word and where women characters have to play second fiddle. Sure Iger may say some stupid things from time to time, but he's not completely tone deaf like Peltz.

I wouldn't trust the direction of Disney in the hands of a guy like Peltz where 'woke' is code for the N word and where women characters have to play second fiddle. Sure Iger may say some stupid things from time to time, but he's not completely tone deaf like Peltz.
Well...not AS tone deaf, lol! Iger's comments during the strike showed he is a but tone deaf. But not in same ballpark as this clown

Well...not AS tone deaf, lol! Iger's comments during the strike showed he is a but tone deaf. But not in same ballpark as this clown
I think much of what Iger said could come from any executive. They are all going to be extremely anti-labor. Not saying it is right, just that I don't see anyone else being much better in that regard. At best they keep their mouths shut and think it secretly.

What Peltz wants is more uniquely awful.

I think much of what Iger said could come from any executive. They are all going to be extremely anti-labor. Not saying it is right, just that I don't see anyone else being much better in that regard. At best they keep their mouths shut and think it secretly.
That's why I think it was tone deaf for precisely that reason. If you are super rich, it's like your brain dies cause any rational person should know that the types of things he is saying are not going to resonate with anyone other than super rich elites. It boggles my mind how these rich people can be so stupid or so deluded into thinking they're the victim and not like...listen to themselves talk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"