• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

'The Matrix' Reboot

Instant pass for me, regardless of how it turns out. Hollywood has become so risk averse it's not even funny, there's no point in supporting these type of reboots any longer.

Someone got burned by KONG...

The thing that worries me about this is even if they come up with a cool story that ties into the mythology, it could easily just end up seeming watered down. Even assuming we replaced the Wachowskis with someone brilliant at the helm, it's still hard for me to get too excited about a Matrix movie without Bill Pope's cinematography or Don Davis' score, etc. Those movies all had a really particular style to them. The scores especially were so unique, not to mention the soundtracks to the first two being a product of their time.

I don't know, I would love to be proven wrong about this because I'd love more good movies set in that universe...I just have little faith that this could actually work. I'm afraid that even a good version of a pitch for this would sound better on paper than it would end up being in reality.

do we really need a reboot of the Matrix?

how about a sequel/continuation instead to show the state of the world post-Neo.

Or how about something original entirely?

do we really need a reboot of the Matrix?

how about a sequel/continuation instead to show the state of the world post-Neo.

I would hope that's the idea. "Reboot" doesn't necessarily mean "remake". The Force Awakens and Mad Max: Fury Roads are considered soft reboots.

Or how about something original entirely?
What if I told you....it's possible for WB to produce original properties AND successfully reboot the Matrix franchise?

My thoughts upon seeing this news, in order--

-- For god's sake.
-- This won't end up happening, just like all the other times a sequel/reboot/spin-off's been rumoured (every few years since '03, more or less).
-- If it does end up happening and it's good, awesome. If it's bad, oh well. It probably doesn't really change anything.

I would hope that's the idea. "Reboot" doesn't necessarily mean "remake". The Force Awakens and Mad Max: Fury Roads are considered soft reboots.

What if I told you....it's possible for WB to produce original properties AND successfully reboot the Matrix franchise?

Instead of spending north of $180m for a reboot no-one asked for they'd be better off investing in 2 or 3 smaller John Wick style original properties.

Instead of spending north of $180m for a reboot no-one asked for
Wait...are we talking the Matrix or Kong? :oldrazz: I can't speak for anyone else but I, personally, have been wanting to see Matrix Redemption for a while now.

they'd be better off investing in 2 or 3 smaller John Wick style original properties.
Again...entirely possible to do both at the same time.

I'm starting to lose track of all the qualifiers to these various sequels/reboots/remakes.
Both of those at the very least involved a director or writer returning back to the franchise.

About the only way I would be interested in this is if it took place in one of the previous versions of the Matrix or a post Neo civil war among the machine intelligences, where the humans have only a minor role and the protagonists are essentially agents.

Again...entirely possible to do both at the same time.

But they won't because it's easier to try and milk existing brands than it is to put in the effort and try to attract people to new properties.

A remake is a big no no...but an in-continuity reboot (ala Force Awakens) is entirely possible. If you can put pen to paper, you can make anything work. It's tricky navigating, but successfully rebooting the Matrix into something worthy of the first movie is not impossible. They just need inspired creators driving the franchise...rather than producers who only care about da'casshhh.

Revival. The word you're looking for is revival.

Is it a coincidence that this news comes up not long after John Wick 2 comes out?

To be fair, The Animatrix and two volumes of Matrix comics showed that you can tell some cool stories in that world that don't rely on the familiar characters. IF they were going to do this though, rebooting the canon would be dumb and unnecessary. There's a pretty vast universe to explore there that doesn't require hitting the rest button (including 6 previous iterations of the Matrix pre-Neo). Or you could explore the post-Revolutions period. Prequels, sequels, etc. I've often pondered the possibilities of how they'd do it when WB inevitably tried to milk that cow.

However, while I'm a huge fan of the Matrix universe and find myself missing it often...if the W's aren't involved, it just feels a bit wrong. And if they are indeed thinking a straight up reboot with no connection to the originals ala Ghostbusters 2016...no, just no.
Animatrix is pretty much the only reason I could see this being any good. Matrix can work without Neo/Morpheus/Trinity/Agent Smith.

But, as I said if it's just a chosen one/hero's journey again, I'm not interested.

You're right that rebooting seems pointless when it can work in-universe.

The Matrix ended for me after the first one. A great/game changer film.

They can reboot whatever they want.

As long as they just keep it in-universe since the Matrix constantly reboots itself as is, it'll probably not be absolute crap. There's lots to explore with that universe, but I'm adamant about leaving out the Wachowski Sisters. I'm a big fan of the entire trilogy and their unique voice.

There's a post-Revolutions storyline as well as a lot of mythology that's only hinted at in the films - Seraph and the Merovingian, Seraph and Agent Smith, the entire concept of the Exiles as outdated programs from previous iterations of the Matrix, the Architect and the Oracle etc. So much mythology to be explored outside of the narrative of the One. I'd love to see more of that vs a straight up redo, which would be damn near impossible to outdo since the first one is perfect.

Sounds as stupid as remake of Memento.

Whatever. I still have my Matrix '99.

The Matrix: Rebooted? :barf:

To be fair, The Animatrix and two volumes of Matrix comics showed that you can tell some cool stories in that world that don't rely on the familiar characters. IF they were going to do this though, rebooting the canon would be dumb and unnecessary. There's a pretty vast universe to explore there that doesn't require hitting the rest button (including 6 previous iterations of the Matrix pre-Neo). Or you could explore the post-Revolutions period. Prequels, sequels, etc. I've often pondered the possibilities of how they'd do it when WB inevitably tried to milk that cow.

However, while I'm a huge fan of the Matrix universe and find myself missing it often...if the W's aren't involved, it just feels a bit wrong. And if they are indeed thinking a straight up reboot with no connection to the originals ala Ghostbusters 2016...no, just no.
Agreed. I totally hate the idea of a Matrix reboot. I'm dead set against it. Just leave it alone. They're never going to recapture the greatness of the original 1999 film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"