'The Matrix' Reboot

Wasn't it because it was too perfect? They didn't buy it?

Okay, to start with, I should point out that he never said the first Matrix contained an anomaly; it was actually the third Matrix. What I said mixed the first and third versions up.

The first Matrix I designed was quite naturally perfect, it was a work of art, flawless, sublime. A triumph equaled only by its monumental failure. The inevitability of its doom is apparent to me now as a consequence of the imperfection inherent in every human being. Thus, I redesigned it based on your history to more accurately reflect the varying grotesqueries of your nature. However, I was again frustrated by failure. I have since come to understand that the answer eluded me because it required a lesser mind, or perhaps a mind less bound by the parameters of perfection. Thus, the answer was stumbled upon by another, an intuitive program, initially created to investigate certain aspects of the human psyche. If I am the father of the Matrix, she would undoubtedly be its mother.
As I was saying, she stumbled upon a solution whereby nearly ninety-nine percent of the test subjects accepted the program provided they were given a choice - even if they were only aware of it at a near-unconscious level. While this solution worked, it was fundamentally flawed, creating the otherwise contradictory systemic anomaly, that, if left unchecked, might threaten the system itself. Ergo, those who refused the program, while a minority, would constitute an escalating probability of disaster.
Perfection didn't work. Imperfection still didn't work. Being given a choice worked at first, because most chose The Matrix. However, even if those who chose otherwise were a statistical minority, something with a very low chance of destabilizing the system, given enough time, would become a near certainty ("an escalating probability of disaster"). The odds of an average high school basketball player shooting a basket from full court and making it is very low. The odds of him shooting a million baskets from full court and making at least one of them is astronomically high. Eventually, due to people making their own choices, it would fail, and The Architect couldn't accept that imperfection.

Instead, he turned it into a choice he believed that they would always make in the machines' favor. He didn't understand choices, he was wrong, and it only took six iterations for this new approach to fail.

What I never understood was how Zion managed to get back on its feet after being destroyed multiple times. How do you take a few people and build Zion to the level it was in revolutions? They had some pretty advanced tech there.

^ As far as I remember, it was said (or implied) that it tool a really, really long time between each of those iterations. Dozens and dozens of generations (who would've all had some tech left over from the previous versions of Zion to start with) over however many years.

Hahaha, I knew if I wrote that every one will go all ''crazy''.

Lighten up, it's an opinion.

Eh? call my "facepalm" as you like it. I'm not the one starting a tantrum over something as trivial as someone who isn't white getting potentially cast in a movie you have no interest in.

Back to Matrix, I could be onboard for a sequel/spinoff. Glad it wouldn't be a reboot but if I find it redundant having a Morpheus origins movie.

Would a prequel be so bad?

By the time we get to "The Matrix" there had already been 7 iterations of the simulation. The first one failed because it was constructed as a utopia and the human minds kept rejecting 'perfection'. And then eventually The One woke up and took a few escapees with him. Then he died and according to Morpheus reincarnated as Neo.

There's A LOT of story in between all that. Prequels for days. So nah, I don't think it'd be cheap for the same reason I don't think a SW: Knights of the Old Republic type prequel would be cheap.

But this was all back story in service of Neo's character. Plus Neo was the end all be all. We could infer and picture what happened in our own heads that led to Neo's story. This is like Rogue One type stuff where you're just turning something that was in service of the most important, pressing story.

A story between the Architect, Oracle, Merovingian, Seraph, Agent Smith and the Exiles would be cool I think. No young Morpheus to be frank.

I would prefer a prequel set before Morpheus's time personally. We got most of his back story in the trilogy.

Once we start to entertain these ideas we start to believe these are the only ideas that exist. We need higher standards and not have tunnel vision. We shouldn't be so ready to accept these stagnant ideas.

Prequels and side stories regarding supporting characters are doing well these days so that's what they're looking at.

It would be great if they returned back to the film noir aesthetic.

once we start to entertain these ideas we start to believe these are the only ideas that exist. We need higher standards and not have tunnel vision. We shouldn't be so ready to accept these stagnant ideas.
THiS!!!

I'm generally not a prequel fan as I feel that as part of the endgame is already known, you're sacrificing some of your suspense. We know (or at least can take educated guesses) who will survive, who won't, and so on.

What would be more interesting to me would be a sequel to the original trilogy, set some time after it - 10 years, maybe 20.

Did the machine/humanity truce last?
If so, what is the nature of it? Can humanity live in harmony with the machines perpetually or is it a fragile relationship which can teeter either way at any time?
Did Neo survive, and if so, where is he?
Was Zion repaired and does humanity prosper there now that more than 12 of them have survived the cycle of destruction and rebirth?

I think there's massive scope there for a story exploring fragmentation within the remnants of humanity, those who are happy to live in peace and those who can't bring themselves to trust the machines as long as they still exist above ground. Neo is gone and those who dealt with him directly (like Morpheus) know he was real, but others may think of him as this mythical figure whose power may have been exaggerated .... what happens if he reappears?

Another pre-quel/origin story ruining a great character?
suicide11.gif

Putting this out there just for the hell of it: I've never hated The Matrix sequels. They definitely got too... lost in themselves, and the third one probably spends too long outside of the Matrix (though I understand why), but I think the hate is at least somewhat overblown. I'm mixed, I guess.

Another pre-quel/origin story ruining a great character?
suicide11.gif

it's not that. they putting themselves essentially in the box of what they can do and they can't do. . just to make money. we already know how character end up, where story goes etc .

but hollywood will continue making this movies cause they can making money from them. making unecessary prequels of established IP brand, taking "fameous" character and give them origin movie.

hollywood doesnt want to be smart, doesnt want to be creative as long we have those who will go into cinema watching crap and not wanting anything more than that. it's just that simple.

Last edited:
Putting this out there just for the hell of it: I've never hated The Matrix sequels. They definitely got too... lost in themselves, and the third one probably spends too long outside of the Matrix (though I understand why), but I think the hate is at least somewhat overblown. I'm mixed, I guess.

I'm in the same boat. I don't dislike them at all. I do think the Wachowskis lost the run of themselves with the massive budgets they had for the sequels ($300m combined for Reloaded/Revolutions, which were filmed back to back - as opposed to $63m for the original Matrix film) - which meant over the top CGi, massive sets, and too much exploration of ideas they may not necessarily have followed with a more pared down approach.

With that said however, I also think the fundamental storyline is sound, and there were some very interesting concepts explored. Some of the questions posed as to the nature of reality were fantastic, as was the amount of parallels, allegories and so on. As characters go, the Matrix has introduced some hugely memorable ones - Neo, Morpheus, Smith, etc - and the final battle between Smith and Neo was something many of us had wished to see in a 'superhero' movie for a long time.

Put it like this, I've rewatched the original Matrix at least 25 times and the sequels probably about 10-12 times. They're more intense, deeper and longer to sit through, so I don't visit them as often - but every time I watch them I dissect them a little more and find something new I hadn't noticed before. Overblown? Yes, but also very rich with detail.

The first one is The One, of course, but I can honestly say I love the whole trilogy. :yay:

I wish they would have taken their inspiration from The Force Awakens rather than Rogue One. I feel like backstory to what we've already seen will not set them up for the future the way a story set after the original trilogy would.

I can't decide how I feel about this. I mean, I loved, LOVED the first Matrix. It's still one of my all-time favorite films. It still holds up really well, IMO. But the sequels, man. They RUINED this series for me, like the prequels ruined Star Wars. But at least with Star Wars you had the original trilogy. You had a full series of good films (if you just ignore the Ewoks at least), so if you wanted to, you could kinda just pretend Little Orphan Ani and Jar Jar and Count Dookie and hating sand never happened. But I think it's tougher with The Matrix since we only had one good movie and then they screwed it all up.

So I'm not sure that it's a good idea to try and restart this thing, whether they are doing a sequel of sorts a la The Force Awakens or some sort of side prequel thing a la Rogue One. Because there might not be enough good material to build off of there. And even if there is, are we still interested? People would still flock to Star Wars and Batman movies even after 100 bad sequels. But I'm not sure The Matrix has that kind of staying power.

How about a prequel showing the formation of the Matrix and the beginning of Zion right after the Great War between man and machine. You can see how the human resistance started, mix in some Matrix characters that are rebelling to help humanity and have a story much like Rogue One where a group are trying to get to the main frame up top to destroy it while stealing the plans to the main frame inside the Matrix.

I just flat out reject the notion that there is nowhere to go with this concept.

Heck...they already HAVE gone beyond the films in comics, video games and cartoons. Some of those ideas I think are worth keeping as official parts of the story.

But given everything that has been created thus far in this world, I find it hard to believe that a talented group of creators couldn't think up any ideas to advance the story beyond "find The One, have a fight, do it again."

I might even go further back if they were going the prequel route. If they covered some of the same timeline from the Second Renaissance, it could possibly work in the way the new Planet of the Apes prequels are working. Totally separate stories from the original movies that chronicle the downfall of man and show how The Matrix came to be. I don't think it's necessary, but I'd watch that.

I can't decide how I feel about this. I mean, I loved, LOVED the first Matrix. It's still one of my all-time favorite films. It still holds up really well, IMO. But the sequels, man. They RUINED this series for me, like the prequels ruined Star Wars. But at least with Star Wars you had the original trilogy. You had a full series of good films (if you just ignore the Ewoks at least), so if you wanted to, you could kinda just pretend Little Orphan Ani and Jar Jar and Count Dookie and hating sand never happened. But I think it's tougher with The Matrix since we only had one good movie and then they screwed it all up.

So I'm not sure that it's a good idea to try and restart this thing, whether they are doing a sequel of sorts a la The Force Awakens or some sort of side prequel thing a la Rogue One. Because there might not be enough good material to build off of there. And even if there is, are we still interested? People would still flock to Star Wars and Batman movies even after 100 bad sequels. But I'm not sure The Matrix has that kind of staying power.

Honestly, while I am actually a fan of the Matrix sequels (I acknowledge that the original is far superior as a film, but still enjoyed the expansion of the world and ideas in the sequels and just have good memories attached to them) I might have to agree here.

The whole Matrix phenomenon might be somewhat of a "you had to be there" thing. While the original was a monumental and revolutionary film, obviously the sequels weren't too well-received and the last film was showing diminishing returns at the box office even for then. It's also not like Star Wars where the flame was kept alive via books, video games, TV shows in the interim years between films. Well, there were a couple of video games and comics but it's still been a long time. It's also an R-rated series, so it's not like a new generation of kids are growing up on it. It ultimately garnered more of a cult fanbase, but even that seems to have faded over the years (Matrixfans.net is basically the top Matrix fan site out there, and their comment sections are pretty dead even with the new burst of news).

I'm not sure how much nostalgia they'd be able to bank off of here. They'd have my money even if I hated the direction they were going, just because I really am a huge fan of the Matrix universe and often miss it. But it's tough to say if Joe moviegoer would be eager to return to that world. Maybe the name would be enough to draw people back, but it's hard to say.

Its pathetic how desperate WB is for a franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"