The New 52 - eh....

DavidTyler

Sidekick
Reaction score
Let's face it... some of the changes have been good.... Aquaman jumps immediately to mind. It's the first time in decades where he's been an interesting read. Wonder Woman's OK... the new interpretation of her costume is GREAT... the stories are merely OK. Batman is neither better nor worse. GL.. when the hell is that going to settle down?

But here's the worst: SUPERMAN... Those books have just become awful. They aren't interesting, they aren't fun. ... and his new costume blows. I'm not against him having a new costume but the new one from the movie would've been the better choice. This Lee design is just clunky and bad.

And, looking around the Hype here.. it appears no one is even talking about the character anymore. It must mean a lot of people aren't really reading him anymore.

That post is so filled with wrong I don't eve know where to begin.

Grant Morrison actually has me reading Superman again, something that I hadn't done pre-52. I'll admit, there's several changes I'm unhappy with, but the new 52 did get me to branch out of my comfort zones, and pick up titles like Animal Man and Swamp Thing, if nothing else out of curiosity; again, something I probably wouldn't have done pre-52.

there are some good things about the new 52, but they pale in comparison to the bad things. and pretty much all of the good things about it could have been accomplished without the B.S. drama of relaunching everything, which resulted in so much bad things.

in regards to superman specifically, i think grant morrison is the only one doing admirable things with him, but it still feels like he's making the best of a bad situation. and having a superman with his iconography stripped from him can only be so good.

bring back jms

Oh god, no! his work on wonder woman and superman were downright awful. hell, he couldnt even finish his own stories.

Let's face it... some of the changes have been good.... Aquaman jumps immediately to mind. It's the first time in decades where he's been an interesting read.

So I take it you didn't read him at all in the 2000's or in Waid and Morrisons run on JLA? Because your opinion you just spouted there is so inaccurate I'm just plain baffled. Just because YOU like him now doesnt mean that decades previously he wasnt liked or an interesting read.

I wonder when they're gonna remove the ugly "The New 52" text on the covers. It's been over a year now, we know...

I was beginning to think you'd finally stopped reading the books like you said you would about 20 times already. Silly me.

We just need a new reboot. This half boot they did just made things even more confusing and ruined half their characters.

Yeah if you pay any attention it's all explained in the damn books.

Action Comics has been pretty entertaining. Morrison's doing very interesting stuff in very interesting ways there. But that's about to end soon, and with it my New 52 Superman interest. The actual character has changed for the worse to me. Most have with the New 52, to be honest. A few of the remaining titles I read have already been canceled and the quality of Snyder's Batman has been drooping lately.

Basically, in another few months, I'll only be reading Swamp Thing and Animal Man from the main DC universe, and if those continue to meander around with this Rot stuff, I'm gonna lose interest in them too. It was an interesting idea for a while, but we're nearing 2 years of it nonstop, a good third of which was in its own little Rotworld pocket reality. Enough already.

Yeah, I'll be taking a break for a while, but that is due to budgetary problems and with the fact that the writers I have followed for years (Morrison and Johns) are leaving providing a good jump off point. But that would have happened regardless. Still actually looking forward to Trinity War.

I'm enjoying DC post relaunch as I was before. Before, I mostly read the Green Lantern and Bat books. Now, I'm reading Wonder Woman, Batman, and Justice League Dark. Some stuff was better before the relaunch (Booster Gold, Teen Titans), some stuff was better after the relaunch (like Wonder Woman and Aquaman), and some stuff maintained a high level of quality (Green Lantern, the Bat books). I kind of wish they would have done full reboot to make continuity less confusing, but overall I'm okay with it.

I started off enjoying a majority of the titles back when the whole thing started, but they cut back for budgetary reasons. Right now, I'm still enjoying Batman and Nightwing, but gave up on the others.

Justice League Dark and Aquaman are good titles, Batman, GL and WW are doing well. Superman has not improved all that much.

Justice League is just marginally better than it was before new 52.

The Teen Titans has been disappointing and where is JSA ?

Let's face it... some of the changes have been good.... Aquaman jumps immediately to mind. It's the first time in decades where he's been an interesting read..
Its always statements like that that tell me you don't have a strong knowledge base to build your suppositions off of. :o

Personally, I consider the New 52 to be thoroughly mediocre, but its not because of continuity reboots, or reinterpretations, it's purely due to editorial miscues and too many bad writers being placed on too many titles.

That said, there's still several titles that are extremely good, and in a lot of cases, better than their pre-N52 counterparts...

Animal Man
Aquaman
Action Comics
Batman Inc.
Batman and Robin
Detective Comics
Earth-2
The Flash
Green Arrow
Green Lantern
Justice League
Justice League Dark
Wonder Woman

Plus some others I'm probably forgetting.

Let's face it... some of the changes have been good.... Aquaman jumps immediately to mind. It's the first time in decades where he's been an interesting read. Wonder Woman's OK... the new interpretation of her costume is GREAT... the stories are merely OK. Batman is neither better nor worse. GL.. when the hell is that going to settle down?

But here's the worst: SUPERMAN... Those books have just become awful. They aren't interesting, they aren't fun. ... and his new costume blows. I'm not against him having a new costume but the new one from the movie would've been the better choice. This Lee design is just clunky and bad.

And, looking around the Hype here.. it appears no one is even talking about the character anymore. It must mean a lot of people aren't really reading him anymore.

You have echoed my sentiments big time......
I was hoping this would be a House of M or Onslaught type of thing....Flashpoint put everyone in a pock dimension or something we got these Jim Lee FF and Rob Liefeld Captain America characters.

But it seems they are really gonna keep this crap going.

There are some things I like though. Finally some had the spine to cue up some love with Clark and Diana. I know they will blow it all up and go back to the the old "comfort zone" of Lois...AGAIN! :doh: But it's still cool to see some sparks.

GL?? Man...I had to put that one down.....it's just on and on and on.....One major event after another. When's the last time Hal ate a cheesburger or washed that smelly uniform ? Geeez! LOL

Superman is indeed a snoozer....I'm tracking He'l on Earth. After that though?? The sketchy art work.....the new unfriendly air about him.....naaaah.

Batman.....still trying to figurew how he got all these sidekicks in 5 years.
LOL!

I think the fuse will be lit on another DC Universe soon.........

Flash has been great. The art is fantastic

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"