The New Ghostbusters - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife got back from seeing it. She enjoyed it even more than I did.

She said a group of guys came in with GB shirts on and one said, "Get ready for a crap movie." The film starts and she said they laughed hysterically through out. When
Zuul
is mentioned they cheered. He really liked it, too.

WOW.
So far it's one of those strange divisive films; more critics enjoyed it, more regular viewers coming out unimpressed.

WOW.
So far it's one of those strange divisive films; more critics enjoyed it, more regular viewers coming out unimpressed.

Mostly anecdotal, but this has not been my experience at all. From the many boards and GB communities I'm apart of, the response has been very positive. Even more so than the critics.

I get that there are people who are against the movie. But now I feel like some of the detractors are basically scrambling to justify why the movie is getting good reviews.

No different to what some comic fans have been known to do with bad reviews.

WOW.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Audience "reactions" should always be taken with a grain of salt.

I have never been in a theater and had someone start randomly talking to me about how much they love the property that is being adapted and how angry they are about how this movie has turned out, much less suddenly became overwhelmed with ecstatic joy once it began. I've never been to a theater and seen an audience give a standing ovation or boo angrily. I've never seen audiences walking out, loudly talking (so everyone in a ten foot radius can hear) about how much they loved/hated it and can't wait for a sequel. This stuff just doesn't happen in real life. :funny:

I think a lot of the "anecdotal" reaction reports tends to be the reporter projecting their own feelings.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Audience "reactions" should always be taken with a grain of salt.

I have never been in a theater and had someone start randomly talking to me about how much they love the property that is being adapted and how angry they are about how this movie has turned out, much less suddenly became overwhelmed with ecstatic joy once it began. I've never been to a theater and seen an audience give a standing ovation or boo angrily. I've never seen audiences walking out, loudly talking (so everyone in a ten foot radius can hear) about how much they loved/hated it and can't wait for a sequel. This stuff just doesn't happen in real life. :funny:

I think a lot of the "anecdotal" reaction reports tends to be the reporter projecting their own feelings.
You are going to the wrong theaters then. That stuff happens around here often enough that I didn't even stop to consider that it doesn't happen elsewhere.

I kid you not. This has never happened to me until Ghostbusters. After my viewing, some random joe struck up a random conversation about how he and his buddies loved the film and how worried he was going in. It actually made me a bit uncomfortable since I didn't know him and was by myself in a parking lot at midnight.

My wife had a very similar instance in her viewing. I think there were a lot of sighs of relief with this film. No standing ovations, but a lot of, "Hey! That was actually good!"

WOW.

Pretty sure the "regular viewers" and critics have the same opinion on this one.

I have witnessed applause many times but everything else, no.

3rd WRITETHRU, 4:47 PM: According to some industry estimates right now, Sony/Village Roadshow’s Ghosbusters isn’t that far from The Secret Life of Pets. The Paul Feig-directed, femme-starring Ghostbusters will win Friday easily with an estimated $18M-$19M but could hit $49.4M, slotting below Illumination/Universal’s Pets, which is looking to take No. 1 again with $50M. Pets’ Friday is coming in around $15M and by Sunday will count $202.6M.

Note these estimates are still early and could change by tonight. Comping Ghostbusters to other movies is a head-scratcher for many insiders. Some are juxtaposing it to Ant-Man and The Legend of Tarzan given their family appeal.
http://deadline.com/2016/07/ghostbusters-weekend-box-office-1201787149/

Pretty sure that where it says "comping" is "comparing" :hehe:

You are going to the wrong theaters then. That stuff happens around here often enough that I didn't even stop to consider that it doesn't happen elsewhere.

Glad you and your family had fun with it on your second viewing. I am still planning on going at some point out of curiosity to see what changed but just not sure when. Who knows, maybe I'll like the finished version more than the test screening.
And to the member who doubted jake in regards to audiences striking up conversations before and after movies, I don't personally know jake but we are from the same city and hit the same theaters I am sure but this does happen in our area. I am not usually the chatty type especially with strangers but have had and overheard some discussions about films with other theater goers in our area

Pretty sure the "regular viewers" and critics have the same opinion on this one.

The personal opinions and anecdotes of the forums members here arejust that and it does not necessarily mean that the movie is going to hit with general audiences. A more accurate gauge will be box office and to a lesser extent the CinemaScore grade.

Sidenote - Ugh Dalekbuster's nonsense has infected another board I see. He is notorious over on the bluray.com forums.

I mean No. 2 or not, an opening like that would be a win for this movie and there's no real getting around that.

I mean No. 2 or not, an opening like that would be a win for this movie and there's no real getting around that.
Yeah, an Friday of 18-19M is good, I was expecting something closer to $15M (ID4 2 numbers)

Here's my review:

99% sure the Turkish coup was connected to the fact that Pokemon Go hasn't been released there yet.

Gitesh Pandya ‏@GiteshPandya

#Ghostbusters heading to around $17M range for opening day FRI. Wknd #boxoffice might reach about $45M area. Pets may stay on top w/ $50M.

Pretty much.

It only happens at fan viewings for the most part and on occasion a mega-anticipated release. Beyond that it's just studio plants and over-zealous forum posters getting carried away.

That's not saying much.

My review...

I sat down in the theater tonight and said to myself, "Look. It may not be what you want, but be happy that you're getting more Ghostbusters. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy a new Ghostbusters movie."

Alas, it was exactly what I expected. And, as expected, Feig was so far out of his element with this material. If he wanted to make a movie about a team of 4 women chasing aliens or something, it would have been fine. But he tried to make a Ghostbusters movie with his style of non-stop jokes and the end result was just kind of a mess. I mean even in the first 2 minutes they tried to squeeze like 10 jokes in there and I was already exhausted.

Everyone had moments in this film that worked. But overall, Wiig was kind of boring, McCarthey was loud, Jones was REALLY loud and McKinnon was on a totally different planet. I couldn't stand her performance. It was just non-stop mugging for the camera and doing weird voices. McKinnon, that might work for a 2-minute SNL sketch, but not for a 90-minute film.

The villain was so contrived and useless, and come on, Feig... Screenwriting 101 – don't have your characters talk to themselves. But Rowan lays out his whole plan (getting back at the world for being mean to him) to himself, in front of a mirror. Because Feig/Dippold couldn't be bothered to write something more creative. Hemsworth definitely showed that he has some comedic chops, but "Kevin" was SO stupid it stopped being funny. No adult man (no matter how good looking) can live that long being that stupid.

The biggest problem I had was the fact that none of this was taken seriously. And of course it's a whacky concept that should be fun, I'm not denying that. But the first movie had stakes...

Egon: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
Ray: Total protonic reversal.
Peter: That’s bad. Okay. Alright, important safety tip, thanks Egon.

They made it very clear that you could die if you were hit by these proton streams. Egon says, "Venkman, shorten your stream, I don't want my face burned off!" To me, that indicates that even though it's a fun comedy, our heroes aren't invincible.

In GB16, each piece of new tech is seemingly developed overnight, and the first time they go out to use them in public, McCarthey yells, "Don't shoot Patty anywhere important!" So these proton packs can destroy an Art Deco concert hall, but don't do any damage to people? If the heroes can't be hurt, why do I care? A possessed McCarthey literally spins her head around 180 degrees, which would kill anyone, but because they wanted to do an Exorcist joke (real timely), she's just fine.

At the end of the day, this whole movie is just a dumb, colorful cartoon. And if that was the intention from the beginning, that's fine. But make a cartoon instead! Treat the property with respect, and above all, try to make a good film. Don't pander to the lowest common denominator (ie. queef jokes, dick jokes, "your mamma" jokes, "dumb guy" jokes, etc.). I know no one tries to make a bad film, but too often filmmakers and studios talk down to audiences because they think audiences just want dumb entertainment. But I guarantee if you just spend the time to craft a great script and make a great film, everyone will love it.

That's what they did with GB1, and I'd say that worked out pretty well.

C-

Of course, the real question is the legs. If it could pull off similar legs to Tarzan, then it would be a major win.

No it's not.

Yeah how is that a win? On a 140-180 mill budget before marketing how is a sub 50 mill weekend take a win unless youre thinking "well at least it wasnt 30 mill"

Anyway, I still think this will make over 50 mill

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"