The New Ghostbusters - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a reboot ripoff. Actually there's no way to describe it, they're reusing the same logo, basically the same looking proton packs and Ecto-1. But the characters are gender swapped, because reasons.

They aren't even gender swapped. Its entirely new characters. Which is the biggest issue.

It's one thing to cancel the sequel they've been teasing us with for decades, in favor of a reboot. But its a slap in the face that they didn't even use the same characters. Gender be damned.

I'd be mad about that if they were dudes and they weren't the same characters.

It's just dumb. No matter how you spin it. What's the point of rebooting/starting again from the beginning, or even using this property at all, if you were gonna alienate the built-in audience by getting rid of the characters they know and love already, and associate with it? It entirely defeats the purpose.

It's like doing a Halloween movie but not using Michael Myers.

Last edited:
They should have used gender neutral characters.

They could have done a Ghostbusters movie where the Ghostbusters are ghosts.:o

To me, the only possible misstep I take issue with is that apparently the original characters don't exist in this universe, and that its not a legacy type deal. That is not what I would've done, personally (I probably would've gone the Star Wars Force Awakens rout with new protagonists but characters from the original there to hand off the torch to the new, basically). But for all I know I might not care when I see the movie because if its good I might not miss those characters and accept the movie for it what it is.

Ghostbusters 3 with the original cast was never going to be an option for obvious reasons. A remake with new actors playing the original characters could have worked but rebooting the same characters over and over again is safe and boring. Oh look, another white male playing Batman. Oh look, another white male playing Superman. Oh look, another white male playing James Bond. You can't get rid of that formula because that is what the audience expects those characters to be.

But a Ghostbusters movie starring new characters has potential because you can do anything you want with them and cast anyone you want, because you don't have to stick to an established archetype. I know some here are poo pooing this idea and acting like its the worst thing ever but I don't see it.

I don't know what I am trying to say here, other than we don't really know much about the movie and most the complaints seem to be from fears and concerns and preconceptions derived from the previous works of the people involved (oh Melissa McCarty is gonna be involved?! Its gonna be a raunchy low brow fat woman comedy movie I just know it!!), and or the fact that its gonna star women (which is a ridiculous thing for a man to get upset over).

Basically, some people seem upset they are trying to do something different with this and take a risk instead of giving us a sequel (that was never gonna happen) or a standard reboot with new actors playing the same characters (and if they gave us that people would be *****ing about that too).

They could have done a Ghostbusters movie where the Ghostbusters are ghosts.:o

And what they're busting are actually living people. Unknowingly or knowingly, like The Others with proton packs or a reverse Beetlejuice.

That's the Shamalamayan twist.

And what they're busting are actually living people. Unknowingly or knowingly, like The Others with proton packs or a reverse Beetlejuice.

I want to see this movie instead. "Living People Busters"?

Living person: " Aaaah, noooo!!! What are you??? Yaaaaarrrrrgh! (Zzzaaap)"

Ghost Ray: "I hate when they scream, man...I mean, they're supposed to be the scary ones...:huh: makes me feel bad."

Ghost Egon: "Relax, they don't feel any pain."

Dundunduuuunnn....

To me, the only possible misstep I take issue with is that apparently the original characters don't exist in this universe, and that its not a legacy type deal. That is not what I would've done, personally (I probably would've gone the Star Wars Force Awakens rout with new protagonists but characters from the original there to hand off the torch to the new, basically). But for all I know I might not care when I see the movie because if its good I might not miss those characters and accept the movie for it what it is.

Ghostbusters 3 with the original cast was never going to be an option for obvious reasons. A remake with new actors playing the original characters could have worked but rebooting the same characters over and over again is safe and boring. Oh look, another white male playing Batman. Oh look, another white male playing Superman. Oh look, another white male playing James Bond. You can't get rid of that formula because that is what the audience expects those characters to be.

But a Ghostbusters movie starring new characters has potential because you can do anything you want with them and cast anyone you want, because you don't have to stick to an established archetype. I know some here are poo pooing this idea and acting like its the worst thing ever but I don't see it.

I don't know what I am trying to say here, other than we don't really know much about the movie and most the complaints seem to be from fears and concerns and preconceptions derived from the previous works of the people involved (oh Melissa McCarty is gonna be involved?! Its gonna be a raunchy low brow fat woman comedy movie I just know it!!), and or the fact that its gonna star women (which is a ridiculous thing for a man to get upset over).

Basically, some people seem upset they are trying to do something different with this and take a risk instead of giving us a sequel (that was never gonna happen) or a standard reboot with new actors playing the same characters (and if they gave us that people would be *****ing about that too).

It would be very hard to reboot either bruce wayne, james bond or Clark kent as anything other than white males - for obvious reasons that i shouldn't have to point out - i'm not being *****ey, it's just true.

Long enough has past that i agree, as an example, Venkman being indian, nordic or asian could work, it's a fresh new spin.

I agree, just forget the past is out of form. But, i guess we'll see when it's out

They aren't even gender swapped. Its entirely new characters. Which is the biggest issue.

Well in a way it is. The original had three white guys and one black guy. This new one has three white women and one black woman.

It's just another thing I've scoffed at in regards to this third installment.

Well in a way it is. The original had three white guys and one black guy. This new one has three white women and one black woman.

It's just another thing I've scoffed at in regards to this third installment.

yeah, it looks lazy - or a cheaper unlicensed version - kind of like when you see that other 'ghostbusters' cartoon that came before it, but looks a poor mans version

I wish they would have made a sequel and take the idea from Extreme Ghostbusters. The old team trains a new team. That would have been perfect but they don't want money.

I just saw Paul Feig's Spy (have yet to see The Heat and Bridesmaids, but will probably catch up sooner or later), and honestly?

It didn't make me look forward to this new take on the Ghostbusters, at all. It was an entertaining lil' comedy, but lacked that certain something (or even some novelty) to truly get me excited about future projects from Feig.

It's one thing to cancel the sequel they've been teasing us with for decades, in favor of a reboot. But its a slap in the face that they didn't even use the same characters. Gender be damned.

I'd be mad about that if they were dudes and they weren't the same characters.

It's just dumb. No matter how you spin it. What's the point of rebooting/starting again from the beginning, or even using this property at all, if you were gonna alienate the built-in audience by getting rid of the characters they know and love already, and associate with it? It entirely defeats the purpose.

It's like doing a Halloween movie but not using Michael Myers.

And that's why so many people hate Halloween III.

They have the original actors, they could've just handed the reigns to the new Ghostbusters.

yeah, it looks lazy - or a cheaper unlicensed version - kind of like when you see that other 'ghostbusters' cartoon that came before it, but looks a poor mans version

They should've done something like that older version, new logo, new weapons to capture and trap the ghosts, different looking vehicle (NOT named Ecto-1), different looking jumpsuits or costumes (putting a couple of orange stripes does not make it look different from the originals) new catchphrase and most importantly, new name! Paranormal-trappers or something. Come up with something new if they're so intent on disregarding the originals.

I'm shocked there hasn't been any teasers released yet for this. Unless there is a super bowl spot.

I'm guessing Super Bowl spot. I just pray there isn't a scene with a lazy joke using McCarthy's weight as a gag, either falling down, out of breath, etc.

I'm guessing Super Bowl spot. I just pray there isn't a scene with a lazy joke using McCarthy's weight as a gag, either falling down, out of breath, etc.

Oh, you know that's gonna end up being in there.

Im going to bet this movie will be nothing like what a lot of the negative hypers are expecting. From time my time here its been evident that its not often that people here can accurately guess how a film will turn out. Everyone will **** on an idea until a trailer is released and then all of a sudden opinions change.

I understand that's the nature of not knowing but some people here talking with such certainty.

Its like a bunch of whinny children not liking whats being made for dinner but then as soon as its served up they shut up and eat it and ask for seconds.

Im going to bet this movie will be nothing like what a lot of the negative hypers are expecting. From time my time here its been evident that its not often that people here can accurately guess how a film will turn out. Everyone will **** on an idea until a trailer is released and then all of a sudden opinions change.

I understand that's the nature of not knowing but some people here talking with such certainty.

Its like a bunch of whinny children not liking whats being made for dinner but then as soon as its served up they shut up and eat it and ask for seconds.

Seriously! You can't have a conversation in here because everyone's apparently seen this movie. I've taken a break from this place because it feels like fantasy land and as someone excited for the film it's frustrating.

Yes, a trailer has not been released yet. We're 5 months away. Some say this means doom, but consider Captain America: Civil War and X-Men: Apocalypse released there's 5 months before. I really think GB didn't want to get lost in the Star Wars hype train.

No, it most likely won't happen during the Super Bowl. Sony did not buy any advertising space. Not unheard of to buy in late, but at this point I'm thinking Sunday's not the day. Feig announced that it would happen before the end of the month. That's all we have to go on.

And no, the movie is not a simple gender swap film with the same beats as the original. Someone on GB Fans who can be trusted shared that he was informed that there are some vast differences in storyline from the original, more action that the original, and tons of new equipment (which we've seen). There's a lot of speculation and speculation is fun, but this film is going to be much different than many are expecting.

No offense, but if someone else shares that they should've passed the torch to a new team like it's a brand new idea, I'm going to lose it. We get it! It's a reboot and some don't like it. It would've been so easy to have just a new team. Yeah, every fan fiction out there has covered it. Easy, but not necessarily a guaranteed success, just like Feig's approach isn't a guaranteed failure.

F4NTASTIC

We guessed that one right.

That one out of how many movies?

Exactly.

Y'all need to relax.

Terminator Genesys. The name alone made people react negative towards it before a still ever hit the net.

Gods of Egypt. People have been acting negative towards this since the first picture hit the web.

Fant4stic isn't the only one correctly predicted to be bad.

Generally speaking, I think it's pretty easy to discern how things will turn out based off of casting, the crew, plot synopses, concept and promo art, sourced rumors, etc. Trailers will be the final piece of the puzzle to get a full [early] picture of it. Is it always perfect? no. But it gives one a good general idea of what to expect.

So to use AA's "whiny kids" example above..
it'd be more like an adult not liking the s*** sandwich you're making for dinner, because they know for a fact that they don't like s*** or bread. Will the sandwich be soggy too? well we don't know that yet, but we got an idea

Terminator Genesys. The name alone made people react negative towards it before a still ever hit the net.

Gods of Egypt. People have been acting negative towards this since the first picture hit the web.

Fant4stic isn't the only one correctly predicted to be bad.

World War Z was predicted to bomb and didn't.

I remember the negative buzz around Rise of the Planet of the Apes before it came out until the first reviews started to come in.

Point is, nobody knows anything. If you list a few things will bomb, eventually you'll get a few right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"