The New Ghostbusters - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say that I enjoyed it a lot more than the Reddit user did.

Which when going back to this 2016 reboot is frankly one of the many criticisms, that it feels like a full blown comedy, which many fans attest is not what the franchise is.

That style of comedy isn't very popular anymore. I can't name a movie in the past ten years similar. We've got Dramedy now but that's not exactly what GB is.

Kind of like how the Breakfast Club style is so 80s cause we don't make teen drama in that vein anymore. They're either coming of age dramas or sex comedies.

Feig was on point not trying to copy that. Singer tried that with SR. Forgetting the fact seeing a man fiy in 78 as your main action was new. In 2005 not so much.

Edit: Wes Anderson is probably as close to the style of that original movie.

Last edited:
Could you all be any more dramatic?

You'd think the sky was falling.

Sheesh.

If one more person says "You know what would have been better? A direct sequel with the original guys"...

The original guys didn't want to do it that badly. The original guys weren't going to do it. I'm not saying get over it...it certainly sucks on some level, but can we please stop with this same old tired rhetoric?

Last edited:
Could you all be any more dramatic?

You'd think the sky was falling.

Sheesh.

If one more person says "You know what would have been better? A direct sequel with the original guys"...

The original guys didn't want to do it that badly. The original guys weren't going to do it. I'm not saying get over it...it certainly sucks on some level, but can we please stop with this same old tired rhetoric?
But the actual physical rape of my childhood! But this new movie will crawl in my brain and erase all memories I have of the original and destroy all copies!

I want it noted that while I wasn't crazy about the trailer, I never said it "raped my childhood" and I love Ghostbusters. Not crazy about the remake/reboots. The movie will be what it will be. It doesn't ruin the original. The original still exists and it's fine. No big deal.

Let's be honest though here, many of the recent ones don't have a good track record. They have big money and big names, but they are missing what made the originals so cool and special.

And look I like 2009 Star Trek fine. I think it's a fun, adventurous enjoyable film. It's clearly not impossible. But then you look at RoboCop, and that film had plenty of defenders here too. Look at Fant4stic. The Collider people were even supporting that one pretty hard before it came out. But then look at Total Recall. Jason Momoa's Conan the Barbarian. Plenty of others.

So I read the reddit post with the alleged plot from one of the crew. Either the person who wrote it has seen a version of the film or they've spent the last 3 days creating a very well researched plot. Either way it's not a good read.

I read the Reddit review and it does sound very poor and seems to be a simple cookie cutter "modern" comedy.

Looks I've not been a fan of this remake mainly but I was hopeful it would have been decent what's more annoying is if this is as poor as the reports are saying it will just be used by studios and the moronic black lash as "proof" they were right all along :csad:

One review?
I dread to think of RT score.

Wasn't so much a review as someone on the crew who decided to spill the beans, seemingly because they weren't treated well on the production. Take it with a grain of salt however.

Wasn't so much a review as someone on the crew who decided to spill the beans, seemingly because they weren't treated well on the production. Take it with a grain of salt however.

I can confirm that they described in detail the entire movie. They highlighted why they did not like it. I did enjoy it, but it is certainly not without flaws. Wiig is the weakest link, McKinnon steals the movie. I thought the cameos were fun. Actually, the villain is the weakest link, he is also the angle that sets the remake apart from the original.

I am really fed up with this Hollywood trend of late. Maybe we should just genetic-engineer our next generation of babies, take away all their sexual characteristics and make the whole human race biologically gender-neutral. Then everyone will be "equally" happy and no one will cry for a male/female reboot.

Don't give them any ideas now!:csad:

Btw, welcome to SHH.

I can confirm that they described in detail the entire movie. They highlighted why they did not like it. I did enjoy it, but it is certainly not without flaws. Wiig is the weakest link, McKinnon steals the movie. I thought the cameos were fun. Actually, the villain is the weakest link, he is also the angle that sets the remake apart from the original.

I can only take your word that you have seen it, but if it's true then that plot really does sound terrible.

ghostbusters-girl-power.width-600.jpg

I don't mind at all the cast being all females. But, they try so hard at promoting the gender equality that the movie seems to be more about political correctness than decent film-making. It would have been much better if there had been two male and two female ghostbusters. The chemistry among the four would be as great as in FRIENDS.

I am really fed up with this Hollywood trend of late. Maybe we should just genetic-engineer our next generation of babies, take away all their sexual characteristics and make the whole human race biologically gender-neutral. Then everyone will be "equally" happy and no one will cry for a male/female reboot.

I can't say if the actual film is good or bad. To be honest, the trailer wasn't bad... It was at best "meh", while looking fine, even pretty good production design wise, surprising for a Feig film which tend to look pretty unspectacular.
Still... Sorry when I read posts like this it sounds like those that spend the time typing such missives out come across as though they feel, despite the enormous amount of films made in Hollywood in the past and currently that feature "White straight male protagonists under the age of 59", that these franchise films which do either a "gender/race flip" deal and which actually don't happen all that often (seriously... you can yell about this film and the Fox FF film all you want... Really how many of these are getting made that it troubles you all so?) that some how this is happening in the majority of Hollywood entertainment or something. Worse, there's this undercurrent that somehow, someway, such entertainments are "taking something away" from the individuals incensed by the mere existence of something like an all female GB or a black Johnny Storm. And not just in terms of not seeing another white male led film or film franchise. There seems to be an over the top reaction that makes me think that the loudest voices are crying out over a fear of some kind of cultural or actual physical annihilation that of course, is too silly to even consider seriously.

I can't say if the actual film is good or bad. To be honest, the trailer wasn't bad... It was at best "meh", while looking fine, even pretty good production design wise, surprising for a Feig film which tend to look pretty unspectacular.
Still... Sorry when I read posts like this it sounds like those that spend the time typing such missives out come across as though they feel, despite the enormous amount of films made in Hollywood in the past and currently that feature "White straight male protagonists under the age of 59", that these franchise films which do either a "gender/race flip" deal and which actually don't happen all that often (seriously... you can yell about this film and the Fox FF film all you want... Really how many of these are getting made that it troubles you all so?) that some how this is happening in the majority of Hollywood entertainment or something. Worse, there's this undercurrent that somehow, someway, such entertainments are "taking something away" from the individuals incensed by the mere existence of something like an all female GB or a black Johnny Storm. And not just in terms of not seeing another white male led film or film franchise. There seems to be an over the top reaction that makes me think that the loudest voices are crying out over a fear of some kind of cultural or actual physical annihilation that of course, is too silly to even consider seriously.

The worry probably is that, creatively speaking, by trying to please everyone you end up pleasing no-one. I think maybe this Ghostbusters may be suffering a little bit of that.

ghostbusters-girl-power.width-600.jpg

I don't mind at all the cast being all females. But, they try so hard at promoting the gender equality that the movie seems to be more about political correctness than decent film-making. It would have been much better if there had been two male and two female ghostbusters. The chemistry among the four would be as great as in FRIENDS.

and this post just made the point you are railing against

so good job

This won't help anything because they should be trying to show that gender doesn't matter not make it an even bigger deal out of it.

There are many female heroes or funny female leads in hollywood movies but with ghostbusters it is a franchise that is so beloved that it was always gonna be a very sensitive franchise to reboot, even more so with gimmick written all over it.

The image above just says well you hate us because we are women.

Last edited:
Feminists love to show their 'strength' in 'activism' by holding up a piece of paper with an arbitrary word or phrase on it. Most just laugh at people like this instead of respect them more because any true strong, powerful person doesn't need to keep reminding the public of their biological makeup when they already are accomplished.

It's so cheesy and cringeworthy lol

Anybody who follows movies or Awards season knows there's lots of creative and talented women that are responsible for a lot of great things on screen.

Seriously, the whole written out words on paper or skin is no longer affective. Find a new way because people have likely died from the cringe that they have to endure when these things present themselves over and over and over again.

I never thought I would see the day a ****ing Ghostbusters movie would be the basis for an actual politically charged debate amongst society.

I can only take your word that you have seen it, but if it's true then that plot really does sound terrible.

I've been on this site for 15 years. I have no reason to lie. Truth be told I have probably violated the NDA I signed. I did tell some people some details in private messages before the Reddit review came out, and those details will match up with the Reddit users description.

The plot? The plot is almost identical to the original. The villain himself is not dissimilar in function than Evo Shandor, only he is currently alive and trying to bring about the end of the world, and Gozer isn't mentioned. I don't see the plot being the problem. Parts of the execution may leave something to be desired. Then again I have rarely seen a movie I could not enjoy on some level, and I really enjoyed it.

I never thought I would see the day a ****ing Ghostbusters movie would be the basis for an actual politically charged debate amongst society.

I never thought majority of hollywood's movies would become filled with political agendas. Hollywood is really pushing these past few years this kind of stuff. We are more and more getting gender stuff movies, color skin stuff castings, it's annoying. Do you remember when they tried make Peter Parker black just for sake of being black but keeping all PP stuff? Or when they cast Zoe Soldana as Nina Simone and make her darker. Or when they tried and succeeded make "female" Ghostbusters just for sake of political agendas how women can do same job as men's can do.

But this is only just recent ones. We got before black Perry White. We got before black Nick Fury. Or black Johnny Storm/Human Torch just for sake being black. We will soon get in Dr. Strange movie instead of asian guy playing character The Ancient One, we will get female white women in that role.

My friend noticed a pattern of great feminism activism in hollywood. Where they instead focusing on movies, script, acting, Hollywood started focusing on agendas, expecting people would backlash and people would talk about it. Bad or good publicity is great and free marketing.

There are more and more agendas driven movies in Hollywood. It's just sucks this movie become certainly center of this. Nobody would really complain if acting, story and directing is good from trailer we got in this movie. But we got pure piece of c*ap and if you dont like it you arent supporting a "womens" and you are just "baby-men".

how does it "salt the wound"?

By insulting the fanbase by not giving the people what they wanted, as was the obvious to understand implication in my previous post.

if by jamming political agendas, you mean trying to reflect the current world we live in, then sure

No that's not what I meant at all, and frankly this is not an accurate reflection of reality, by any measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"