The Next Generation Console Thread

Honestly hadn't heard that, but I guess it depends on what you do with it. The USB ports are what you charge your controller with via a cable, so when the powers out on a controller you need that slot. So if you plan on going 4 player crazy and never keep your controllers charged, I guess it can be a problem.

Also I have Linux on my PS3, which means when I switch to it I'm using a keyboard and mouse, and my controller for emulators. In that case 3 usb ports are needed as the sixaxis controller has to be plugged in via USB to use it on emulators unless you download the Bluetooth driver for that emulator.

On top of that I keep the USB link cable for the PSP in at all times usually as well as it's the same thing as the charger for the PS3 sixaxis controller as well.

I guess I'm saying you don't need them all, but it's nice to have them, and you might have to juggle a few things.

I see. So is there a way to increase the number of USB ports if I need more then 2 in the future, like an adapter than gives you additional USB ports?

Sry, not sure. Someone else may know tho, so I'd give it a little time for someone to answer or just search on google. Tho I'm guessing there is, they have converters for the PS2 controller and so on, so I'm sure some someone has a compatible PS3 USB expansion deal. I mean there are PC USB cards that add more spots, so there probably is, but again that's not a definite as it's just my guess.

I see. So is there a way to increase the number of USB ports if I need more then 2 in the future, like an adapter than gives you additional USB ports?

Sure, just plug in a USB port that you'd attach to a PC.

It really becomes an issue if you have alot of accesories. My PS3 has 4 USB ports and I use them to charge up my controllers, BT headset, connect to my PSP, and use my flash drive, but never need to do these all at the same time and I never have something connected at all times. I could have done fine with just 2 ports.

but back to your question. A USB hub solves the problem. Heres one:

http://www.gizmag.com/nyko-media-hu...missing-usb-ports-and-media-card-reader/9596/

It really becomes an issue if you have alot of accesories. My PS3 has 4 USB ports and I use them to charge up my controllers, BT headset, connect to my PSP, and use my flash drive, but never need to do these all at the same time and I never have something connected at all times. I could have done fine with just 2 ports.

but back to your question. A USB hub solves the problem. Heres one:

http://www.gizmag.com/nyko-media-hu...missing-usb-ports-and-media-card-reader/9596/

As silly as this might sound, what good does connecting a PSP do? Do you use it like a controller?

As silly as this might sound, what good does connecting a PSP do? Do you use it like a controller?

There are a LOT of features inbetween the two. You could be in Japan, and as long as your PS3 and PSP have internet connectivity, you could turn on your PS3 in the states and stream your PS3 XMB. You could watch videos, and play some games (like Bionic Commando) from a few states away, or even half a world away on your PSP.

On top of that the PSP memory stick can be used to store save games you can take to a friends house, or in my most recent case hold as a backup while you format your harddrive. You can also transfer music, movies, and pics inbetween the two.

Some games from the PS Store (which can also be accessed from the computer) work both on the PSP and PS3, such as Castlevania SoTN, so you can buy it and DL it to your PS3 and PSP.

There's more, but I'm tired and can't think atm heh.

There are a LOT of features inbetween the two. You could be in Japan, and as long as your PS3 and PSP have internet connectivity, you could turn on your PS3 in the states and stream your PS3 XMB. You could watch videos, and play some games (like Bionic Commando) from a few states away, or even half a world away on your PSP.

On top of that the PSP memory stick can be used to store save games you can take to a friends house, or in my most recent case hold as a backup while you format your harddrive. You can also transfer music, movies, and pics inbetween the two.

Some games from the PS Store (which can also be accessed from the computer) work both on the PSP and PS3, such as Castlevania SoTN, so you can buy it and DL it to your PS3 and PSP.

There's more, but I'm tired and can't think atm heh.
Most of those features, you mentioned can be done wirelessly via the internet connection. I beleive a USB connection is necesary to A) pair it up with the PS3 initially and B) transfer PSN downloads onto the PSP. At least those have been my 2 main uses of it. Everything else I do wirelessly

you can just use the usb cable that you use for your controller to connect to the psp, if you're not charging the controller at the time. it's a better cable. but yes there's also pseye keyboard and mice (there's that new addon for the controller coming that could get around this.) microphones, guitars, light guns and bluetooth head set charging.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY I GOT MY PS3 JUST THIS PAST SATURDAY AND IM LOVING MGS 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the caps, but God freaking damn, I'm so happy :woot::woot::woot:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY I GOT MY PS3 JUST THIS PAST SATURDAY AND IM LOVING MGS 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the caps, but God freaking damn, I'm so happy :woot::woot::woot:

Gratz, and enjoy.

Microsoft cutting Xbox 360 prices in U.S.
Cheapest version will sell for $200, making it less expensive than the Wii

NEW YORK - Microsoft Corp. is cutting the price of its Xbox 360 gaming console beginning Friday, with the cheapest version selling for $200, making it less expensive than the Nintendo Wii, which retails for $250.

The Xbox 360 Arcade version had been selling for $280. Microsoft, which slashed the prices of the console in Japan on Monday, said the 60-gigabyte version of the console will now sell for $300, down from $350, and the high-end "Elite" 360 will go for $400, down from $450.

Microsoft cut the price of the console saying "history shows that more than 75 percent of all console sales happen after the price falls below the $200 mark."

Sony Corp.'s 80-gigabyte PlayStation 3 console, which includes a Blu-ray player, sells for $400. Sony had cut the price of that console in July. The company has said there are no plans this year to cut slash the price further. In fact, Sony seems to be focusing on the higher-end gaming market, planning a limited edition 160-gigabyte version of the PS3 for later this year. The console will come bundled with a game and will sell for $500.

Source

Looks like this will make my console decision between PS3 and 360 alot harder.

someone help me stop playing call of duty 4! its like a drug. I picked up resistance 2 for 30 bucks. I havent played it. Im still attached to COD4.

Source

Looks like this will make my console decision between PS3 and 360 alot harder.
Should be interesting to see how the numbers are refleceted on next month's chart. Good move for MS and better for consumers. Hopefully this puts the pressure on Sony to follow and do the same by Thanksgiving

someone help me stop playing call of duty 4! its like a drug. I picked up resistance 2 for 30 bucks. I havent played it. Im still attached to COD4.
I think you mean Resistance 1 considering 2 hasnt been released yet. Its simple. CoD4 is the best FPS on the market. Its the only one I play on my PS3 and I cant really get into any others bc its ruined them for me

Should be interesting to see how the numbers are refleceted on next month's chart. Good move for MS and better for consumers. Hopefully this puts the pressure on Sony to follow and do the same by Thanksgiving

i don't think there is pressure really, if you compare the 360 elite and the ps3 80gig, which are the same price.

Now that the price drop happened, I'll be picking up a 360. With some gift cards I got from work, it should only cost me 100 bucks for the 60 gig. :up:

i don't think there is pressure really, if you compare the 360 elite and the ps3 80gig, which are the same price.
except the Pro is the standard system and its $100 cheaper than the standard PS3. I think the majority of 360 sales are coming from that version. As far as pressure to go down, it remains to be seen. I have a feeling that this drop wont have a significant impact on the sales numbers for Sept, but we'll see the boost in November which is expected.

Last edited:
there's a pressure to price reduce in of itself independant of the 360 because hell it is still an expensive machine, but then there are pressures of not losing large amounts of money dropping the price too early. i think the pro is probably the least profitable machine (or loses the most) for MS, simply because the hard disk for it is too small to be the cheapest it could be (edit: forgot the massive mark up from the arcade just for a hard disk). also when i think about the PS3 i take into account that it is a year younger than the 360. sales are traking the same in america but a year behind. so an actual price cut needs to come next year.

Now that the price drop happened, I'll be picking up a 360. With some gift cards I got from work, it should only cost me 100 bucks for the 60 gig. :up:

Right now, it's between the 80GB PS3 (with blu-ray) vs 360 Elite for me, since they are the same price.

^^^
Yeah but Doesn't the 160 gb PS3 like have a extra 60 gb? anyways i will definately be getting the $199 360 Wii and if i need extra memory i will just get a memory card.

^^^
Yeah but Doesn't the 160 gb PS3 like have a extra 60 gb? anyways i will definately be getting the $199 360 Wii and if i need extra memory i will just get a memory card.
It has 80gb more and Uncharted. For the PS3, I really dont think people should make their decisions based solely on the HDD since you can easily swap in laptop drive in there. 80gb should be fine for most people right now and if they need more, upgrade in the future. HDD prices are always going down so theres no need to waste money on one now when its not needed

IMO I like the 360 better than the PS3. I'm not saying the PS3 isn't worth the money, it's just a few things I like about the 360 over the PS3.

The PS3 online is free, but it's often choppy and laggy and some game servers suffer alot due to that.

The game selection for PS3 is very minimal, but it sounds as if they are going to be gearing up on alot more titles coming up.

Blu-Ray. Ps3 has it, 360 HAD the hd-dvd player which is pretty much non existant now.

The 360s community is what gets me. Maybe I enjoy simple fun stuff, but I've always appreciated it's features and now, it's great new update.

^^^

That's what I'll have, a Wii360. At some point if I have the money next year (haha :( ) I'll hopefully get a PS3 again.

But one thing I love is the downloadable games on XBLA...namely Castle Crashers and Galaga Legions.

I'm looking foward to when I can finally buy it.

IMO I like the 360 better than the PS3. I'm not saying the PS3 isn't worth the money, it's just a few things I like about the 360 over the PS3.

The PS3 online is free, but it's often choppy and laggy and some game servers suffer alot due to that.

The game selection for PS3 is very minimal, but it sounds as if they are going to be gearing up on alot more titles coming up.

Blu-Ray. Ps3 has it, 360 HAD the hd-dvd player which is pretty much non existant now.

The 360s community is what gets me. Maybe I enjoy simple fun stuff, but I've always appreciated it's features and now, it's great new update.

PS3 is appealing due to its blu-ray DVD drive and no online subscription fee, but 360 does have better library of games (and from what I've heard, better online services if you pay for it). This is why I'm still undecided, and probably won't make my decision until October/November.

Honestly, I've never had any major PS online problems. I've heard a few others say this tho. Maybe it's being wireless? I'm wired and never get choppy or high lag. Most of my problems have come from developer problems like the GTA4 headache of a bug.

I don't have a problem with that, it's all opinion. IMO I think the PS3 has a better lineup coming up, and I think it has the two best exclusives this gen in MGS4 and Uncharted. Of course both systems have plenty of great titles and are good purchases. In fact there seems to be one really good game coming out every month of this year so far, this year has hurt my wallet lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"