The Next Generation Console Thread

August npd

PlayStation 3 185.4K
PlayStation Portable 253.0K
Playstation 2 144.1K
Xbox 360 195.2K
Wii 453.0K
Nintendo DS 518.3K

360 beats ps3 but not by much. the price cut officially started in september so we can probably expect it to win again next month. not sure if it'll make up enough to win the year tho.

August npd

PlayStation 3 185.4K
PlayStation Portable 253.0K
Playstation 2 144.1K
Xbox 360 195.2K
Wii 453.0K
Nintendo DS 518.3K

360 beats ps3 but not by much. the price cut officially started in september so we can probably expect it to win again next month. not sure if it'll make up enough to win the year tho.
Well the 20gb 360 got a price reduction but the sales should increase again for this month as you said. Here are the software numbers

Top 10 SKU's August 2008
(includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)
Publisher Release Date Rank # Units

360 MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 1 1.0mm
PS3 MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 2 643K
PS2 MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 3 424.5K
WII WII FIT NINTENDO OF AMERICA May-08 4 394.9K
WII MARIO KART NINTENDO OF AMERICA Apr-08 5 328.7K
WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA Feb-07 6 200.2K
360 SOUL CALIBUR IV NAMCO BANDAI GAMES OF AMERICA Jul-08 7 174K
360 TOO HUMAN MICROSOFT Aug-08 8 168.2K
WII MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 9 115.8K
NDS GUITAR HERO: ON TOUR ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Jun-08 10 111.2K

well it turns of id's rage the showcase for their tech5 and megatexture technology is being gimped across all platforms because of the 360 version, even pc. areas are being cut because to have those areas in the 360 version would mean more dvds and thus more royalties having to be paid to MS.

That sucks, just more reason for DVD drives to go away next gen. Also another counterpoint argument notch against the ppl that say DVD is perfectly fine and more room than we need this gen.

I know some companies won't say it, but I have a feeling some multiplatform games have suffered from space and not wanting to add in a second disk. Once DVD drives are gone next gen (hopefully), I have a feeling a few game developers will come out and talk about how it hindered them.

I mean let's say a DVD holds roughly 8GB (somewhere around 7-9GB), and you have a 15GB game. So you compress audio hurting the quality a bit, and you have a 9GB game. Would you want to have to pay for an entirely new disk for every copy for 1GB? Or would you cut content out to squeeze it onto one disk? I'm not saying this happens often, but saying it's probably atleast happened a few times.

That sucks, just more reason for DVD drives to go away next gen. Also another counterpoint argument notch against the ppl that say DVD is perfectly fine and more room than we need this gen.

I know some companies won't say it, but I have a feeling some multiplatform games have suffered from space and not wanting to add in a second disk. Once DVD drives are gone next gen (hopefully), I have a feeling a few game developers will come out and talk about how it hindered them.

I mean let's say a DVD holds roughly 8GB (somewhere around 7-9GB), and you have a 15GB game. So you compress audio hurting the quality a bit, and you have a 9GB game. Would you want to have to pay for an entirely new disk for every copy for 1GB? Or would you cut content out to squeeze it onto one disk? I'm not saying this happens often, but saying it's probably atleast happened a few times.
I think its pretty much a given that DVD will not be the standard used next gen. The 360 is pushing the upper limits of the DVD and it would be a HUGE mistake not to go forward. That wont happen for probably at least 2-3 years so prices should be down and there wont be a reason for MS not to. They'd truly be limiting themselves if they did

I think its pretty much a given that DVD will not be the standard used next gen. The 360 is pushing the upper limits of the DVD and it would be a HUGE mistake not to go forward. That wont happen for probably at least 2-3 years so prices should be down and there wont be a reason for MS not to. They'd truly be limiting themselves if they did

Agreed, and chances are BR will be a much cheaper drive to put in next gen (unless MS goes with digital downloads which I've heard a few rumors of, having trouble seeing them go BR). The PS3 took a hit for it, but it pushed BR and Cell both of which are finally being utilizied better and are far cheaper. Next gen the cost for both should be down and developers can push both farther.

I don't think DVD will disapear off of Computer's for awhile, but that doesn't matter as much since you install games on computers rather than swapping disks during gameplay. Nintendo I see coming up with another weird homemade drive tho.

Agreed, and chances are BR will be a much cheaper drive to put in next gen (unless MS goes with digital downloads which I've heard a few rumors of, having trouble seeing them go BR). The PS3 took a hit for it, but it pushed BR and Cell both of which are finally being utilizied better and are far cheaper. Next gen the cost for both should be down and developers can push both farther.

I don't think DVD will disapear off of Computer's for awhile, but that doesn't matter as much since you install games on computers rather than swapping disks during gameplay. Nintendo I see coming up with another weird homemade drive tho.
DVDs definetly wont disappear from PCs bc it took a bit longer for CD based games to go away. For a while companies offered both CD and DVD versions of their games before completely going the DVD route for all titles. I dont see BR being standard in PCs anytime soon and most people probably wont add them until BR burners are down to a reasonable price. Right now there are only a few and too expensive. Besides like you said, PC games install. The data on the disk is compressed and they can easily get away with storing more data on the same amount of disk space as a console DVD

NPD numbers:

HW Sales
PlayStation 2 173.5K
PlayStation 3 232.4K
PSP 238.1K
Xbox 360 347.2K
Wii 687.0K
Nintendo DS 536.8K

Top 10 SW Sales
Publisher Release Date Rank # Units
360 STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED LUCASARTS Sep-08 1 610K
WII WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD NINTENDO OF AMERICA May-08 2 518K
360 ROCK BAND 2 MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS Sep-08 3 363K
WII MARIO KART W/ WHEEL NINTENDO OF AMERICA Apr-08 4 353K
PS3 STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED LUCASARTS Sep-08 5 325K
360 MERCENARIES 2: WORLD IN FLAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 6 297K
WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA Feb-07 7 243K
360 MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 8 224K
WII STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED LUCASARTS Sep-08 9 223K
PS2 MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 10 158K

I don't seem to recall any complaints about multi-disk games during the PS1 era

That's because it was new. We had just finished with very limited in space cartridges. Changing disks for a game was new, but that was also a long time ago. We currently have the storage mediums that would no longer require for disk changes. Just because no one complained when it's new doesn't mean it's not a valid complaint now. That's like saying we shouldn't complain about 8 bit graphics because ppl used to eat those games up. Technology has advanced, and no reason for a new game system to continually use limited storage space when there's a better version out there.

its also bc CDs were the only option (aside from cartridges) in that era. You defiently would have seen complaints with the PS2 had it retained a CD based system instead of upgrading to DVD. DVD provided alot more space than CDs did and having games on multiple CDs when the technology was there for them to be on 1 DVD, would have been an issue. It would have been taking a step backwards and not moving forward with the technology available. There definetly were complaints on Nintendo's end for sticking with cartridges during the PS1/N64 era bc of the limited amount of space that that format provided to its system

its also bc CDs were the only option (aside from cartridges) in that era. You defiently would have seen complaints with the PS2 had it retained a CD based system instead of upgrading to DVD. DVD provided alot more space than CDs did and having games on multiple CDs when the technology was there for them to be on 1 DVD, would have been an issue. It would have been taking a step backwards and not moving forward with the technology available. There definetly were complaints on Nintendo's end for sticking with cartridges during the PS1/N64 era bc of the limited amount of space that that format provided to its system
Exactly, cartridges were what also killed Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid on the Nintendo 64.

I don't mind changing discs when I watch movies or play games
I find it to be an inconvenience. When there is a media format that allows games to fit on one disk and has wide acceptance, Microsoft and Nintendo (if they ever make Wii HD) should use it.

Microsoft has no choice but to accept blu-ray next generation because changing disks will be more than just an inconvenience, it will be downright unacceptable and it will bite them in the ass because games are taking up more and more data no sensible third party is going to make a game that takes up more than 2 DVDs because of Microsoft's royalty rates.

I find it to be an inconvenience. When there is a media format that allows games to fit on one disk and has wide acceptance, Microsoft and Nintendo (if they ever make Wii HD) should use it.

Microsoft has no choice but to accept blu-ray next generation because changing disks will be more than just an inconvenience, it will be downright unacceptable and it will bite them in the ass because games are taking up more and more data no sensible third party is going to make a game that takes up more than 2 DVDs because of Microsoft's royalty rates.

How do you feel about the installs in between chapters in MGS4? There is not much difference between waiting for that and getting up to switch a disc.

Yes, it's such an inconvenience to get off the sofa and change a disc that weighs less than an ounce. "watch out gamers, you might get some extercise!"

When blu-ray overtakes DVD in the sales department, then it will have wide acceptance.

How do you feel about the installs in between chapters in MGS4? There is not much difference between waiting for that and getting up to switch a disc.
I found it to be an inconvenience as well. Just as Microsoft needs to do something in fixing their disk space issues, Sony needs to do something in fixing all of those damn installs, especially since the Xbox 360 doesn't require them on games like Devil May Cry 4 and Grand Theft Auto IV.

Microsoft needs to drop the disc tray and use what the PS3 and Wii have. So much better. MY 360's tray sometimes gets stuck and the only way to get it unstuck is to keep pushing the button.

Yes, it's such an inconvenience to get off the sofa and change a disc that weighs less than an ounce. "watch out gamers, you might get some extercise!"
It's called I don't like having my game interrupted by such petty things.

When blu-ray overtakes DVD in the sales department, then it will have wide acceptance.
Blu-ray is accepted by every major movie studio out there and is the sole HD media format and the percentage of blu-ray sales to DVD sales is increasing as well.

The only reason why Microsoft has not adopted blu-ray is because they're so damned obsessed on this digital downloads nonsense. It works for music and small games, not movies and incredibly large games.

It's not like you're going to have to change discs in the middle of combat.

Unless Square/Enix want to make long ass summons again
[YT]ZdWifJioVoo[/YT]

Last edited:

you are looking at BR as a movie format which is much different than it as a data format. The 2 are definetly related but independent of each other. Even if BR were to utterly fail right now as far as the home industry goes, its not going anywhere as a format as its DVD's successor in the same way floppy disks/cartridges were replaced by CDs and that was replaced by DVD. A DVD-9 will not be the standard forever. BR prices are going down and slowly being included in PCs. BR has too many advantages to software developers to just ignore it. The thing thats holding it back now is price and userbase, both of which are improving. 2-3 years from now, all of this shouldnt even be much of an issue.

To date, that is the only game that does it and yes it is an annoyance. I wish there was an option to just install all that data at once. And the issue here is that the PS3 includes a 1x BR drive, which at the time of its release was the most affordable option as a 2x would have made it even more expensive. The installing stuff shouldnt be an issue with the next gen of consoles as the price of the drive speeds has gone down to a neglible price.

Last edited:
Another side to multiple disks is having more chances to ruin your copy. I take good care of my games, but somehow I scratched my second disk of Lunar 2 sometime last year. So while I can still play the first disk, doesn't matter because the second won't play.

Which I know if you just have one disk you can scratch it as well. I'm just saying that you have to keep 3 disks in perfect working order to play one game. BR has scratch resistant coating which is another plus over DVD.

Honestly tho, I don't see the point of arguing. If DVD's are fine, they why not CD's still? Point is that BR is going down in price, by the time of the next Xbox there will be no reason for it not to have a BR player as it will be far cheaper. BR has many advantages over DVD and is becoming affordable, arguing to keep DVD is pointless IMO.

Another side to multiple disks is having more chances to ruin your copy. I take good care of my games, but somehow I scratched my second disk of Lunar 2 sometime last year. So while I can still play the first disk, doesn't matter because the second won't play.

Which I know if you just have one disk you can scratch it as well. I'm just saying that you have to keep 3 disks in perfect working order to play one game. BR has scratch resistant coating which is another plus over DVD.

Honestly tho, I don't see the point of arguing. If DVD's are fine, they why not CD's still? Point is that BR is going down in price, by the time of the next Xbox there will be no reason for it not to have a BR player as it will be far cheaper. BR has many advantages over DVD and is becoming affordable, arguing to keep DVD is pointless IMO.

I don't think anyone is really arguing that Blu Ray shouldn't be the standard for the next gen. We're arguing more about hippie_hunter's laziness and whether or not it's warranted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"