The Nickelodeon Thread: Old School

The 90's and early 2000's were the golden age of Nick. That whole channel went to hell. That station was a huge part of my childhood in temrs of television.

Keenan and Kel kicked so much ass. So did All That, Aah! Real Monsters, Rocko's Modern Life, Hey Arnold, Are You Afraid of the Dark (this scared the crap out of me), Rugrats, Angry Beavers, Doug (Classic), etc.

The 90's and early 2000's were the golden age of Nick. That whole channel went to hell. That station was a huge part of my childhood in temrs of television.

Keenan and Kel kicked so much ass. So did All That, Aah! Real Monsters, Rocko's Modern Life, Hey Arnold, Are You Afraid of the Dark (this scared the crap out of me), Rugrats, Angry Beavers, Doug (Classic), etc.

The main problems that I have w/ Nickelodeon today besides the elimination of SNICK:
*Rerunning/marathoning the same old shows.

*Not enough variety like in the past (it seems like the bulk of the shows that has gotten a ton of backing recently are tween, girl-centric sitcoms like "Zoey 101", "iCarly", "True Jackson", and "Unfabulous").

*Too much realiance on "Spongebob" and "Fairly Odd Parents" in the Nicktoons department.

*Trying to copy or one up Disney like making their own "High School Musical".

*Not enough "edgy", unconventional live-action shows like "Ned's Declassified..."

I searched to see if there were general threads to discuss the older Nickelodeon from back in the 1990s, but there didn't seem to be, just threads discussing particular shows. This is more of a general thread to discuss the pre-2000s Nick.

Anyway, I'm a huge fan of the old Nick and grew up watching it obsessively back in the 90s when I was small. Are You Afraid Of The Dark was hands down my favorite, but I also loved Salute Your Shorts as well as their many game shows such as Guts, Legends Of The Hidden Temple, Family Double Dare and Nick Arcade (what a travesty the GAS channel got pulled from cable). I also liked a lot of their cartoon series and even dug Nick Jr. back in the day, they were that good a network. Such a shame what's become of Nick nowadays when they were such a great network back then, especially during the 1995 era or so.

I have several fond memories of Old Nick... When I was 10 years old in '92 and '93 I would watch the Saturday night Nick block (this was of course years before I discovered girls, booze and parties). It was from 8 to 10 and I would make myself a big bowl of popcorn and vegetate on the couch for two hours watching 'Clarissa Explains it All', some teen improv comedy show I forget the name of, 'Alone in the Dark'.... annnnnd I forget the other half-hour show, but I'm sure I liked it back then. 'Alone in the Dark' was classic in its early days.
I also loved the cartoons back then. I wasn't a huge 'Doug' or 'Ren & Stimpy' fan, but I LOVED 'Rocko's Modern Life'! 'Spongebob' never held a candle to it, IMO. Good thread!

'roundhouse' was the teen improv show.

Oh man, I can't believe I forgot some of the shows you're talking about. Clarissa Explains It All, the old All That, Rocko's Modern Life, Ren & Stimpy, Ahh! Real Monsters, etc.

I used to watch mummpet baibie i think it was on Nickelodeon . i also like show on nick jr called davd the nrom. it was really good. i alwaysed like doug. does any one rember doug? it was reallly awsome show. i got the frst season on dvd.you can only get them at amazon. i also liked sereert world of alex mac. i liked clarisses explaines it all. i even watch pete and pete sometimes. my and my brother liked rugrats a lot. i also like keen and kal show. i also like all that i liked all that the beagning of it. they started putting in new people i didn't like it much. i used to watch tiny toons on Nickelodeon don't watch any cartoon on Nickelodeon now my brother watch spoung bob he 22 years old. i did like danny phatom for while they cut it off. i also like barnyard amaniles a lot. i do watchsome teen nick like i carly sometimes i watch drake and josh. i also like true jackson vp.

Whenever I talk to people and want them to clarify something I say "Explain THIS, Clarissa!"

Nobody gets it though. :(

I used to watch mummpet baibie i think it was on Nickelodeon . i also like show on nick jr called davd the nrom. it was really good. i alwaysed like doug. does any one rember doug? it was reallly awsome show. i got the frst season on dvd.you can only get them at amazon. i also liked sereert world of alex mac. i liked clarisses explaines it all. i even watch pete and pete sometimes. my and my brother liked rugrats a lot. i also like keen and kal show. i also like all that i liked all that the beagning of it. they started putting in new people i didn't like it much. i used to watch tiny toons on Nickelodeon don't watch any cartoon on Nickelodeon now my brother watch spoung bob he 22 years old. i did like danny phatom for while they cut it off. i also like barnyard amaniles a lot. i do watchsome teen nick like i carly sometimes i watch drake and josh. i also like true jackson vp.

I remember Doug, I loved the old Doug show and even the old Rugrats. How could I forget The Adventures Of Pete & Pete, The Secret World Of Alex Mack, Kenan & Kel... man was Nick awesome back in the day. How did they go so bad nowadays?

best show was Doug. Nickelodeon is stupid now

Nick is a bad joke nowadays, plain and simple. How they went so bad is anyone's guess.

'roundhouse' was the teen improv show.
You know what's funny, it wasn't until the Nostalgia Critic talked about this show that I realized that it really wasn't all that great.

Last edited:
There was a lot of good shows back in the mid 90's.. Adventures of Pete and Pete, Alone In The Dark, Keenan and Kel, earl seasons of Sabrina, Ahh! Real Monsters, Doug, Action League Now.. Nickelodeon was also the first place I saw Labyrinth, which is a cool film.

For some reason I was thinking 'Eerie, Indiana' was a Nick show, but I wikied it and it was NBC. It seemed very Nick-like. Also great was Nick at Night when it was good... Get Smart, Gilligan's Island, Bewitched, I dream of Jeannie, Man from UNCLE, etc... And who can forget the game shows like Guts and Double-Dare!

Just remembered... Dude Ranch!

Last edited:
I go back a little farther. My faves were You Can't Do That on Television and The Tomorrow People.

I was so into The Tomorrow People, it wasn't even funny

Oh god, I loved that show. Never realized that Naomie Harris got her start there.

I swear, youth tv in general was so much better back then because people weren't such *****es about what they thought kids should and shouldn't be able to watch. They didn't hold back in their dramatic scenes and actually made it seem like the bad guys could win so that there was actual drama in the shows. Nowadays they just treat everything with kid gloves it's just a predictable waste of time.

Not only that but average people were on the shows. Not everyone had to have that "Blue Steel" look. They preferred you have at least a little bit of talent over how your prodcut placement clothes and accessories look on you.

Oh god, I loved that show. Never realized that Naomie Harris got her start there.

I swear, youth tv in general was so much better back then because people weren't such *****es about what they thought kids should and shouldn't be able to watch. They didn't hold back in their dramatic scenes and actually made it seem like the bad guys could win so that there was actual drama in the shows. Nowadays they just treat everything with kid gloves it's just a predictable waste of time.

Kills me that censorship and "toning down" television has become the norm, but today's kids are so f'd up and just bad lol.

Kills me that censorship and "toning down" television has become the norm, but today's kids are so f'd up and just bad lol.

Hell, that might even be part of the reason. Don't mean to go all psychological on this, but back then, kids could work out some of their aggressions through some of the stuff that they could watch on tv. Now, things are so tame that ya can't realistically relate to much anymore, so they work out their aggressions in real life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"