The Obvious Film Related Opinion Thread

Greatest movie of all time:

Craft wise = Citizen Kane (many of the things that we consider small were hugely impactful because of Citizen Kane)
Script and entertainment wise (as in how influentiial it was) = Godfather (it was one of the movies that made a traditionally unsympathetic people sympathetic, and best shown the potential of not only New Hollywood, but movies in general)

I just finished Age of Extinction and while I see it's flaws, I also see most people hating on it because hating on Michael Bay is trendy and fun. With that said, I'd still only give it a 4/10

I just finished Age of Extinction and while I see it's flaws, I also see most people hating on it because hating on Michael Bay is trendy and fun. With that said, I'd still only give it a 4/10

You contradicted yourself.

Greatest movie of all time:

Craft wise = Citizen Kane (many of the things that we consider small were hugely impactful because of Citizen Kane)
Script and entertainment wise (as in how influentiial it was) = Godfather (it was one of the movies that made a traditionally unsympathetic people sympathetic, and best shown the potential of not only New Hollywood, but movies in general)

That's a good way to look at it.

Popularity shouldn't matter. Popularity and entertainment are completely subjective. Trying to crown a greatest film should try to be as objective as possible. The only way to do that? Look at it's craft and how innovative and influential it was and Citizen Kane takes the cake every time. Is it 100% objective? No, but its much closer to objectiveness than entertainment factor and popularity.

Popularity is the only objective way to measure entertainment value.

Star Trek: First Contact is filled with inaccurate renderings of the characters from the show. It still infuriates me they turned Picard into a bloodthirsty maniac.

JJ Abrams tends to use too much lens flare in his movies.

Here's what should be a pervasive opinion:

The Toy Story trilogy is one of the greatest of all time. A classic tale that will remain relevant decades from now.

Popularity is the only objective way to measure entertainment value.

It's not objective at all. The masses can like bad stuff. There was a time when the majority of people believed there was nothing wrong with slavery. That's a harsh example, but popularity means absolutely nothing to a film. In order to reach broader audiences, you have to generalize more to allow more people to relate. This often runs the material thin. You simply can't be as rich in artistic merits if you're trying to appeal to everyone. Look at the best artists of all time. They all challenged audiences. Most audiences don't want to be challenged. They want bad ****.

Also:

Social Network > The King's Speech
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers > Chicago
Brokeback Mountain > Crash

Also:

Social Network > The King's Speech
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers > Chicago
Brokeback Mountain > Crash
also

Pulp Fiction > Forrest Gumb
The Hunt > La Grande Bellezza (fraking boring !)

also Prisoners should have gotten all the American Hustle nominations.

Star Trek: First Contact is filled with inaccurate renderings of the characters from the show. It still infuriates me they turned Picard into a bloodthirsty maniac.

It wasn't just a random turn, though. It made sense in the context of the film, and it was even pointed out to him within the narrative. Once he realized what he was doing, he calmed down and did the usual Picard stuff. I don't know about the others. Care to elaborate?

_ Also Peter Sellers in "Being There" > Dustin Hoffman in "Kramer Vs. Kramer."
_ And John Cazale is the greatest character actor that ever lived.

I feel that Forrest Gump winning over Pulp Fiction is justified. Gump had more going for it as entire piece, mainly special effects and score.

^ I like them both and don't think Forrest Gump stole it either, but maybe Pulp Fiction has aged better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"