The Offical DVD Thread

Sam Fisher

Heavy Meddle
Reaction score
Artwork{as shown here}

tmnt-1.jpg

Pre-order

No extras announced yet it seems.

Cover coulda been much better, but I'm just excited to see this one on Blu-Ray.

It's not that bad...could've been better, maybe a little more dark looking...but Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles didn't have a dark tone, even though the movie itself was kinda dark-ish.

Im going to rent it. I wasn't to impressed when I saw it in theaters so hopefully it gets better a second time. Hmmm I wonder if it will have a history of the comic books just like alot of the other comic book movie dvds that have come out these last few years.

TMNT is going to be released on DVD, HD-DVD and Blu-ray on August 7th. And no, the official cover for all three format releases do not look like that -- it is the official one-sheet U.S. poster.

The regular DVD release will be a flipper disc with both full-screen and 2.40:1 anamorphic widescreen transfers, which has a $28.98 SRP. Audio will be in English, French, and Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround tracks with matching subtitles. Both HD releases will have higher-bit rate Dolby Digital Plus tracks (the Blu-ray will be only Dolby Digital) and Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Surround. SRP for HD-DVD is $39.99, while the Blu-ray will have a SRP of $34.99.

Extras for all three releases have yet to be announced, but you can see all the covers here.

The cover art has already been changed- you can check DVDactive.com for the updated stuff.

Also, any word on a slightly more violent extended cut? The director kept saying he wanted one back around the films release..

No extended cut I'm afraid, but Davis DVD has given us a heads-up on the extras:

- Deleted scenes
- Alternate opening (Splinter tells the backstory)
- Storyboard-to-CGI comparisons
- Interviews with Sarah Michelle Gellar, Patrick Stewart, Lawrence Fishburne and the filmmakers
- Trailers

Seems like a fair helping of extras to me...

I think i'm gonna end up renting this. My 3 year old sis would probably get a kick out of it

And apparently the more kid-friendly cover will be the real deal.

Y'know, I actually liked it. Apart from being a kinda poor representation of the movie (IE, the movie is mainly about the Turtles who are the least featured in the picture, the movie's dark while the cover is campy, etc), it was still a pretty kinetic and energetic picture.

...but then I noticed Raph's holding a pizza. :dry:

original one was so much better, actually fits the tone of the movie

original one was so much better, actually fits the tone of the movie
Agreed. And the one shown above, atleast to me, more or less represents the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon series' tone, than that of TMNT ...

Agreed. And the one shown above, atleast to me, more or less represents the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon series' tone, than that of TMNT ...
Or, of course, the original TMNT film...

And apparently the more kid-friendly cover will be the real deal.

Y'know, I actually liked it. Apart from being a kinda poor representation of the movie (IE, the movie is mainly about the Turtles who are the least featured in the picture, the movie's dark while the cover is campy, etc), it was still a pretty kinetic and energetic picture.

...but then I noticed Raph's holding a pizza. :dry:

The pizza doesn't really bother me, it's the skateboard. Seriously, is that damn thing glued to his shelled ass? :cmad:

The pizza doesn't really bother me, it's the skateboard. Seriously, is that damn thing glued to his shelled ass? :cmad:

Literally? No.

Theoretically? I can certainly understand why people would assume that. :o

Well, at least it's Mikey who's on it. :(

Honestly, I think it all comes down to WB realizing - no matter how dark or serious the actual material is - the TMNT will ALWAYS be a children's vehicle. You're just never going to have a large segment of teens or twenty-somethings rushing off to buy their DVD copy of TMNT. With that in mind, a cover that is designed to both attract young eyes and make parents thing it'll be a good kids film for their kids makes sense.

Unfortunately, the TMNT franchise does have the potential to be something more than a franchise that is, more or less, directed towards children (the 1990 flick gave us a pretty good indication of this with the 2007 flick having moments), but alot of what prohibits that idea from ever really being truly realized, is the fact that aside from the films, one has to consider the TMNT merchandise machine which no doubt plays a large role in anything TMNT related. This has always been the case ever since the Turtles became such a hit during the late 80's with the cartoon series. And much like what we saw with the Turtles and Batman films during the mid 90's becoming lighter in tone, it would only be natural from a studio POV to continue as such. Especially if the franchise in question still continues to show a fairly healthy profit from film and merchandise revenue. Thankfully, I believe Munroe delivered a film that was both in line with the spirit of the original Mirage comics, and one that was what the studio itself was looking for as well. Which is about as much as one can ask for considering the circumstances.

Oh yeah, I wasn't talking about the actual material in the film in the slightest. Just how WB has chosen to market it with the DVD cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"