The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Childish? I don't see how. Some of them are in my opinion essential to the character. It's like Spider-Man with suction cups, Magneto with magnets strapped to his arms or Wolverine with kitchen knives between his fingers.

No, it's not. Spider-Man without super powers means no great power with great responsibility credo which is the whole basis of his character, and Magneto without his powers means he's not a mutant, which is the entire basis of the character.

They're bad analogies.

Childish? I don't see how. Some of them are in my opinion essential to the character. It's like Spider-Man with suction cups, Magneto with magnets strapped to his arms or Wolverine with kitchen knives between his fingers.
Not the same thing. The better example for Spidey would be organic web shooters or not. Which have been done in both ways, and both work, and both are still very "Spider-Man".

Joker still has the smile that is permanent due to scars. The colors are still there, his character is more important. Catwoman doesn't need a whip to be Catwoman. Bane is still not American, he's huge, he was born in a prison, he's intelligent, he has a mask, he still has something latched onto his body that keeps him strong or else he becomes weaker. All of the essentials are still there for Bane, comic-book or Nolan. It's just presented in new ways. These characters will always be interpreted in different ways on film. As long as the essential parts are still there.

Yeah, we can have both. Burton went full on with the fantastical nature of Gotham and Batman's rogues. Nolan went full on with the more realistic gritty side of Gotham and Batman's rogues. I assume the reboot will be the perfect balance.

I hope so! But they can keep Bat-Mite out of it:woot:

Joker still has the smile that is permanent due to scars. The colors are still there, his character is more important. Catwoman doesn't need a whip to be Catwoman. Bane is still not American, he's huge, he was born in a prison, he's intelligent, he has a mask, he still has something latched onto his body that keeps him strong or else he becomes weaker. All of the essentials are still there for Bane, comic-book or Nolan. It's just presented in new ways. These characters will always be interpreted in different ways on film. As long as the essential parts are still there.

One of the things I like about the joker (not the guy who posts here) is that he doesn't really look like a villain to begin with. Clowns are supposed to be funny (personally, i think clowns are unfunny *******s), and at first glance he looks harmless enough. Batman on the other hand looks like a villain. But the scary guy in a batsuit is the hero, and the clown is really a homicidal maniac.

Ledger did a good job as The Joker, but right when you see him you know that he is dangerous.

I kind of agree, GB, though interpretations of The Joker are so broad that I don't see Ledger's as unacceptably far from the pale. The only stickler is the lack of bleached skin; the scarred mouth is clearly intended to give the same degree of "permanence" to his appearance, but it is isn't quite as satisfactory to me.

27UORBu.jpg

Amazing. I want that on my wall.

One of the things I like about the joker (not the guy who posts here) is that he doesn't really look like a villain to begin with. Clowns are supposed to be funny (personally, i think clowns are unfunny *******s), and at first glance he looks harmless enough. Batman on the other hand looks like a villain. But the scary guy in a batsuit is the hero, and the clown is really a homicidal maniac.

Ledger did a good job as The Joker, but right when you see him you know that he is dangerous.

No don't agree with that either. The Joker, when drawn properly, always has a creepy dangerous look to him:

Batman-23-1-Joker.jpg

killing-joke.jpg

Jokers5wayrevenge.jpg

joker3-728684.jpeg

j8fm.jpg

JokerHush_JimLee.jpg

The Penguin is the kind of villain who's supposed to look harmless, even comical, and that's what's deceptive about him. Not the Joker.

Last edited:
That's true of certain interpretations and instances, but not all. Often, The Joker is the "Clown Prince of Crime", and is shown to have rather aristocratic, aquiline features, and a somewhat bon vivant disposition. It then becomes easier to see what Harley Quinn sees in the maniac.

I think he should look surreal and even eerie, but his monstrous nature can often be hidden in a velvet glove.

Deleted Scene: Vicki encounters two children dressed like Batman

LS_B89_kids.jpg
I remember this picture from the Topps trading cards and because the cards had a couple of behind the scenes pictures I always assumed this pic was of some kids that were on the set playing around as Batman.

I remember this picture from the Topps trading cards and because the cards had a couple of behind the scenes pictures I always assumed this pic was of some kids that were on the set playing around as Batman.

Tim Burton: "look at them, how cute... Guards! Beat the crap out of the little trespassers."

And that's why Batman Returns is the darkest Batman movie. Burton hates children...:csad:

Drew this and posted it on the Michael Keaton thread, too. Thought I'd drop it in here, too. Always loved the cowl and how well it hid Keaton's eyes in some scenes.
tumblr_msvtg6GgSa1qhffc7o1_500.jpg

Keaton in some scenes did look a little unshaven or his 5 o'clock shadow was showing.

I'm sure you guys have seen this man's work, Sebastian Columbo he has done a lot of Superman art, specifically Christopher Reeves stuff which is absolutely fantastic. This follows that in it's epicness!

He stole my balloons!!! Why didn't someone tell me he had one of those....things.

God... Gotham was beyond amazing in this movie. :up:

My favourite interpretation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985